• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bloody anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
hi all
I saw a lot of of anime series but i liked only this two Sad : BERSERK and SAMURAI X T&B (i like blood and swords Wink but i dont like comedy series) PLS write here some anime similar to berserk and samurai x t&b
Satanachia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well if your looking for gory anime, I would suggest Elfen Lied and Gantz. They don't use swords exactly but they both are rather graphic. Also I found Ninja Scroll and Perfect Blue to be violent aswell. And if you read manga you should look into Diabolo and Battle Angel: Alita. I just started watching anime/ reading manga last year so I dont know many titles.

p.s. Also, from what I saw of Rurouni Kenshin it was pretty slicy and dicy aswell.

Last edited by Satanachia on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied- While making her bloody rampaging escape from a secret facility the psychotic diclonius, a human with abnormal horns on their heads which gives them telekinetic powers, is shot. Washing up on a beach she is taken in by two college students, Kouta and Yuka, and due to the impact to the head has developed multiple personalities. One is the sweet and naive Nyu named after the only thing she was able to say, and of course the other is Lucy the cold blooded killer with a grudge against humanity. No swords but it's about the bloodiest anime ever and filled with prolonged nudity. However, it balances all that with an awesome story that has plenty of twists and a great cast of characters.

If you just want violence then I'd second Gantz as well. Though if you like a well told story and characters too then stay far away from it.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd second Elfen Lied. It had enough blood for me. I like blood too, but to an extent. I think Trust and Betrayl the OAV for Rurouni Kenshin was a good one also.

But go for Elfen Lied.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
BlueG wrote:
PLS write here some anime similar to berserk and samurai x t&b

SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I think Trust and Betrayl the OAV for Rurouni Kenshin was a good one also.

"samurai x t&b" = "the OAV for Rurouni Kenshin"

Anime similar to Berserk and Kenshin. Also look in this thread.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
opaquescum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I would also recommend Gantz and Elfen.

For all the above reasons. Lucy in Elfen does sever peoples limbs alot. She also disects her victims if you are into that kind of thing. The story is pretty decent. Not utterly complex for the perceptive viewer. So the series hits both marks. You may get turned down by the awkward sex humor, and the very slow story developement. You may also find some of the graphic elements in the series. Even if you like bloody anime you may be incensed by scenes where little girls get tortured.

Gantz is another ball of wax altogether. Yes its brutal, and violent, and takes pleasure in going a little too far. The problem with Gantz is either you will get it and love it, you will not get it and hate it with a passion. The series does have great action scenes, and its bloody as bloody can get. Beneath that though is a series that is full of deep philosiphy, psychology, and social commentary. Add that to a deep series long mystery. The series is for very deep persons to watch. If you are a shallow avoid the series. A good rule of thumb if you are into watching a movie, and then after its done you do not think about it off and on for a few days Gantz is not for you. The series demands that you be perceptive, and think about what you watch after the fact. If you fail to do it your probabally going to get frustrated.

I would also recommend ninja scroll, and ninja scroll the series. They are a bit more tame then Elfen lied and Gantz. Though you will get a good helping of swordplay often graphic, but your not going to see any complex fight mechanics, and the story is merely acceptable not extraordinary.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
BlueG wrote:
hi all
I saw a lot of of anime series but i liked only this two Sad : BERSERK and SAMURAI X T&B (i like blood and swords Wink but i don't like comedy series) PLS write here some anime similar to berserk and samurai x t&b

Next time you post, how about following the forum rules and exercising a proper grasp of grammar & spelling, okay? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
*sighs*
How many times must we suggest Gantz, Berserk and Elfen Lied for gory anime. I bet if we were to do a poll, those three would be the most overrated violent anime out there.
vrempire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't wait to buy GANTZ. It has established itself as a "MUST-SEE" list. The manga version also is very gory.
YoMaNaTiOn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
GantZ if you wanna watch something with action/blood/not-so-deep plot.

If you prefer something more psychological with less action... Elfen Lied.

Berserk also if you like medieval era!
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm sick of hearing the same few for "Mature/Bloody/Violent" anime as well so I'll try to add some more. Not that these are bad choices, it's just that everyone posts the exact same.

Minus the philosophy and comedy parts of Evangelion, it has it's fair share of fighting and plenty of blood in some episodes. I was amazed at the sheer amount in one particular episode.

Narutaru. Ok well, you'd definitely have to give this one a chance. It's not as bloody as it is extremely dark and violent. I know it has some blood in places..but it's been too long for me to tell you it's bloody throughout. Violent though? Yes. If you decide to watch this, do not judge anything by the first episode. I heard Alien Nine is somewhat similar but have not watched it as of yet so I'll go with a maybe on that one.

Blue Gender. Horror turned Sci-fi this one has blood, fighting, death, you name it. It definitely changes focus midway through but retains it's anti-gundam gritty mech feel.

To do with more of the fighting/sword end, I'd say maybe try Samurai Deeper Kyo. Sure the Kenshin series has it's share of fights and swords, but if you'd like to stay away from comedy, you'd end up skipping half of the kenshin series. I didn't find Samurai Deeper Kyo that good, just mediocre, but others have found it better and it has really no comedy to it.

As far as just "darker" toned series go, perhaps try out Texhnolyze or Speed Grapher. Both are on my list to watch just for that darker tone to contrast the philosophical/comedic action/ecchi series I've been watching recently. I can't say anything really other than I've heard they're good, because I haven't seen them.

Goodluck.
Siilent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm seeing Gantz titled as "as gory as gory can get" everywhere- a quick side question: does the violence suddenly escalate when the second season starts? I watched the first, and was completely unbothered. I'm underaged for the series and am not drawn to blood and violence as a particular genre, and still I found what I saw mild.

Is there some kind of edited version? I haven't seen the second season, so that leaves three options.

1. I'm more tolerant than I thought, and apparently 'extremely violent' is barely anything.

2. I saw some kind of edited version of the first half.

3. The violence suddenly explodes during the second season.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, or if asking a question like this in someone else's thread is...not accepted? If so, a PM would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I just started Gantz and I must say, not only is it violent, it's pretty interesting...so far. The concept is neat and Kei isn't nearly as unlikeable as I've read him to be. Of course, I'm only a few episodes in so maybe I shouldn't speak too soon.

I can't praise Elfen Lied enough, it's definitely one of my favorites. It takes a good set of (cliche, but whose really original these days?) characters, adds many different elements together and produces a horrific, yet touching, little show.

Ninja Scroll is a really good straight up "slice n' dice" movie, so you can't really go wrong with that.
solot58

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I would also recommend Basilisk its somewhat of a new show...the series is completed though...it has lots of ninja and sword fights with lots of blood, which will probably quench you
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
I'm seeing Gantz titled as "as gory as gory can get" everywhere- a quick side question: does the violence suddenly escalate when the second season starts? I watched the first, and was completely unbothered. I'm underaged for the series and am not drawn to blood and violence as a particular genre, and still I found what I saw mild.

Is there some kind of edited version? I haven't seen the second season, so that leaves three options.

1. I'm more tolerant than I thought, and apparently 'extremely violent' is barely anything.

2. I saw some kind of edited version of the first half.

3. The violence suddenly explodes during the second season.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, or if asking a question like this in someone else's thread is...not accepted? If so, a PM would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Option 3.

The first season is actually okay, the second season tears it all down though and whatever progress was made with the characters is tossed out the window. spoiler[By the half way point of Season 2 the only characters I liked in the series, Kishimoto and Kato have died disturbingly horrible deaths and you're left with the incredibly shallow and uninteresting Kurono, who in the end also dies and the big black ball of death moves on somewhere else, end credits.] It really blows seriously. This series was just way too mean spirited and depressing for my tastes. I got the message it was trying to portray I just don't agree with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2