• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodansha License Requests

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hiya! My name is Morgan, and I'm an intern at Kodansha this semester (Well, technically Random House Publisher Services, but you get my drift). One of my tasks is gathering info on titles we'd be interested in. As a fan, I always really like it when publishers talk directly to us, so I figured I'd give y'all a chance to chime in. This isn't a popularity contest, but if I do see a lot of enthusiasm for certain series, I'll be sure to make a note.

Rules:
1. Please don't just list titles. In addition to being against the forum rules, it's not very helpful. Tell me a little bit about each series, and, optionally, why you think it would do well here (Is it similar to other popular series? Has the mangaka been published here before? Is it simply Really Awesome?).
2. All series must be published by Kodansha in Japan. (You'd think this would be a no-brainer, but I'm listing it all the same.)
3. I am not looking for older "classics," series that are very long (let's put a cap at 20 volumes, okay?), or sports series.
4. I'm also not looking for light novels (because I know someone will ask).
5. Sorry, but we're not interested in rescuing any more Del Rey manga titles.
6. Chihayafuru is a no-go.

Are there any series you think would be good for Kodansha?

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Not sure this is what you are looking for (actually there is a good chance you are not) but I would love it if Kodansha could release the remaining volumes of Nodame Cantabile.

The only other Kodansha title I know of that I want is Princess Jellyfish. It's topped the Vertical polls so I'm definitely not alone in that one but as far as I know, it still would be available.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see Green Blood translated, I think it might appeal to the seinen crowd and it might capture the american audience with the same type of appeal as Afro Samurai or Cowboy Bebop, since it's a sort of western set in New York and has a kind of artstyle not commonly associated with manga, which might also catch the attention of strictly american comics readers and get them more interested in manga the way Blade of the Immortal has done it for me in the past.

Last edited by NeburPT on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
@ marie-antoinette: Sorry. As we said on Twitter a little bit ago, barring some special circumstance, we're not rescuing any more Del Rey Manga titles.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how well Eternal Sabbath did, but I'd love some other stuff by Soryu Fuyumi. How about Cesare? It's ongoing and will probably be pretty long, but the subject (the Borgia family and its rise to power) should appeal to a market obsessed with historical and fantasy series with plenty of intrigue.

Historie might be a good idea for similar reasons.

As for something completely different: Princess Jellyfish! It's funny, the anime did fairly well, and so on.

To be honest, I'd rather see Vertical pick up these titles, but if that isn't an option (because they're long and thus expensive to license)... I shouldn't really be saying this, should I? ^_^'
zeta kira

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - the reissue of this in japan puts it at 10 volumes in length and i feel as though the series would fit in with the older manga crowd. Its also quite possibly one of the most requested titles of all time over here. I would also like to see Billy bat by Naoki Urasawa. Monster, 20th century boys and pluto aren't enough to satisfy me Very Happy
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
(It's fine to mention if you would like Vertical to license stuff. We can only publish so much per year, and there are a lot of titles that we wouldn't really consider that they perhaps might. I'd just advise you to make sure you've taken Vertical's new survey. That'll have a little more impact than just mentioning something on this thread, I'd think. Anime hyper)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll second Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou because it looks like an interesting series, the premise sounds alright and the artwork looks nice so its a title id be grabbing should it become available.

Space brothers is an anime I've been enjoying as of late so if the manga were out id pick that up also.

Shamo would be a huge boon in my eyes its such a gritty and brutal manga and would really appeal to the kind of folk who were into stuff like hellsing, gantz and berserk, Id go so far as to pre order this one.

Mysterious girlfreind X was a manga i enjoyed reading and i stopped to let a bunch of chapters build up so were there an announcment to be made of this being released id wait until it was out in stores to carry on reading it. Also the recent anime series helped spur its popularity a little.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
seemed like a nice title from what I've read and again its had an anime recently so its fresh in the minds of some folk.

and of course theres Hajime no ippo wich falls foul of the no sport thing as well as being very long and ookiku furikabutte wich just falls foul of the sports thing (shame on US manga/anime fans for hating sports stories). And as usual requests for Mushishi, Pumpkin scissors and a final omnibus for suzuka so that its actually finished.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru: Does this count as a sports manga? It's a josei, and my twitter feed is insane about the anime (as am I). I would love to read it.

Princess Jellyfish: As others have mentioned, tops Vertical's survey repeatedly. Josei, which I think we need more of.

My Little Monster: Another recent anime with a lot more story to tell. Quirky high school romance.

Space Brothers: Been watching this anime weekly, and it always ends on a cliffhanger! Love this series. It's nice to also have older protagonists than the typical high schooler.
zeta kira

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Any sneak peaks at what the new hardcover Vinland Saga omnibus you guys are going to be releasing? I'd also like to see the final suzuka omnibus as well and would pick up space brothers although thats probably over 20 volumes eventually.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
i thought it was vertical who had said they wanted to do a hardcover omnibus of vinland saga. I've not heard that kodansha were gonna do it that way.
zeta kira

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
i thought it was vertical who had said they wanted to do a hardcover omnibus of vinland saga. I've not heard that kodansha were gonna do it that way.

I've also thought that too until this came up on amazon.

Edit: See below post lol

Last edited by zeta kira on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Per amazon: Hardcover, 464 pages.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to pop in and suggest Princess Jellyfish to you guys. That and Space Brothers.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou would be nice too but if you can't get it I can live with having someone like JManga pick it up.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Per amazon: Hardcover, 464 pages.

schweet
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9