• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodansha License Requests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Seconding (thirding?) the Princess Jellyfish and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun requests, both are under 20 volumes (heck I think Tonari is stopping soon at 12 or so and I can't see Jellyfish dragging itself out to twenty volumes).
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, you might not be picking up any more Del Rey titles, but what about some of the ones that got put in eternal limbo when Kodansha chose to stop doing business with Tokyopop? I'm specifically thinking about Keiko Suenobu's Life. With Vertical currently publishing her Limit manga, I'd think there might be enough interest in Life being brought back. Plus, with only 9 out of 20 having been released, there's plenty of material that would still be new to most people even if they were following it before. I also wouldn't mind seeing Love Attack being brought back as well, but I would be most thrilled with Life.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how Vinland Saga will be coming out soon, I think a nice re-release of Planetes might be in order if they're interested in doing re-releases. It's a fantastic manga and it's sadly out of print, and it's a lot shorter, so it might make a nice two vol omnibus and good advertising for the upcoming Vinland Saga release. Then again, Kodansha did re-release Tokyo Mew Mew and that series is far inferior to Planetes, so re-releases of older Tokyopop series can't be entirely out of the question.

Since Parasyte is getting a much deserved re-release, I would love to see another Hitoshi Iwaaki series come over: Historie. What I've read of it so far, I've loved (though damn if it doesn't update slowly). With Thermae Romae and Bride's Story's release, it makes me wonder if historical series aren't in.

I'm just going to second any mention of Yokohama Shopping Log, I haven't personally read it, but I'm familiar with its reputation. And Vertical's absolute refusal on it.

I would also love other Fuyumi Soryo stuff if Eternal Sabbath can't come back into print (glad I got my set). Cesare would be the one I'm most interested in, so I'm seconding this one.

Chihayafuru sounds good from what I've heard, and it sounds like an off-sports manga, like Hikaru no Go, so that interests me because actual sports is just too much for my little nerd head (and the Ravens are in the Super Bowl this year, so I have to go to a party)

I've only seen two eps of Space Brothers, but I also know I would buy it in a heartbeat. I love scifi, both unrealistic and realistic, and I've not watched more out of laziness, but I certainly want more!

OMG, What Did you Eat Yesterday? ran in Weekly Morning? Yes, I want it. I will blindly buy anything with Fumi Yoshinaga's name on it because she is awesome. I trust that it will be awesome, and that's all I really need, because her name guarantees awesome.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

OMG, What Did you Eat Yesterday? ran in Weekly Morning? Yes, I want it. I will blindly buy anything with Fumi Yoshinaga's name on it because she is awesome. I trust that it will be awesome, and that's all I really need, because her name guarantees awesome.

Somehow I missed this while scrolling through titles, but YES THIS PLEASE.
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ben Applegate, editor on Vinland Saga, here. Yes, our edition will be hardcover. I'm prepping a blog post with more details on the format. We want to have all our approvals nailed down first, but I can say pretty definitely that the extras we have lined up are mind-blowingly cool.
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd definetly be 100% interested in buying Yokohama Shopping Log and Historie if they were released, they both seem to have a lot of demand for them.

But the Kodansha manga I want licensed the most at the moment is Princess Jellyfish. It is such a lovely story, and there is a huge amount of demand for it, as others have mentioned. Also, Vertical won't get it, as it's too long for them.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Naoko Takeuchi's single volume TokiMeka brought over. Some of her other non-Sailor Moon series would be nice too (like Cherry Project or Miss Rain), though I understand if they're not available or too old. Though if you wanted to, it would be fun!

I kind of assume Hajime no Ippo is an implausible choice (wayyyyyy too long for our market), though I would go for a "best of" release like VIZ's 6 vol ed. of Tough of 13 vol. edition of Golgo 13.

Princess Jellyfish and Chiyayafuru are major wants :) In terms of reissues, an omnibus rerelease of Sugar Sugar Rune would be nice.

Can't really think of any others at the moment, but seeing more 1-shots and short titles is always nice.
Takatin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Princess Jellyfish, Chihayafuru and Space Brothers, I love the anime adaptations of those mangas.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw in another vote for My Little Monster. I'd also love to see Saint Young Men licensed. Most people would be cautious when they see the premise, but it treats its topic very respectfully and is still very funny.
OniTasku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
First off, hi Morgan! Thanks for taking the time to field some responses and open up a dialog between us (fans) and Kodansha Comics! Always happy to see a publisher taking the initiative to interact and level with fans. I'll try to keep my usual Vertical recs aside, and pull from my backlist of "wanted" Kodansha titles that they likely wouldn't pick up. Or heck, that you guys wouldn't be privy to touch, heh. Wink

Mysterious Girlfriend X (謎の彼女X) / Ueshiba Riichi - Afternoon
  • Solid shounen/romance with your genius offering of fanservice
  • Already had the first few volumes animated and was licensed by Sentai Filmworks, which should see a domestic release later this year
  • Beautifully detailed artwork, complementing the striking visuals and throw-back character designs
  • The common "rom-com" genre is turned upside-down with the unique setup of Urabe
  • Incredibly sweet, coming of age love story

Easily my top pick of any current Kodansha title. I like my romance series with a bit of a twist to them, so it's not surprise that series like Flowers of Evil are a big hit for me. While not anywhere like the aforementioned manga, Mysterious Girlfriend X would be such a wonderful addition to Kodansha Comics. With the anime coming up later this year from Sentai Filmworks in the US, this would be a perfect chance to get this tie-in (from my understanding, this helps when deciding on manga to license here).

Ueshiba Riichi does such a wonderful job of weaving a seemingly innocent and heart-warming coming-of-age love story, and even manages to throw in fanservice that doesn't feel forced or awkward. It works out so well. Would absolutely love to see you guys pick this manga up.

Coppelion (コッペリオン) / Inoue Tomonori - Gekkan Young Magazine
  • A great science-fiction/action series to further bolster a nice line-up of titles that you guys have already (like Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga, Cage of Eden)
  • Cute girls doing military ops in irradiated wastelands of Japan
  • Kodansha Comics really needs more action titles, honestly

Now, this is a title that I'm not sure you guys would even consider. I mainly say this because of its status of J-Manga. I don't recall hearing your company having a stance on this one way or the other (Vertical, I know, stays away from J-Manga titles). Content-wise may also be somewhat sensitive, but I've heard great things about the manga, have flipped through a few tankoubon of it myself, and really enjoyed what it offered.

Witchcraft Works (ウィッチクラフトワークス) / Mizunagi Ryuu - good! Afternoon
  • A title that likely many aren't going to know of; nevertheless, a very interesting fantasy/action romance/comedy manga that should be considered
  • Really detailed action sequences, and awesome character designs - the art is quite splendid
  • Fun genre-bending, and twisting typical roles around (the female lead is [very] tall, the male lead needs to be protected and is signficantly shorter than the female lead
  • Gap moe!

I have my doubts about seeing WCW licensed and localized here. It's definitely one of those "I'd love to see, but understand it's a long-shot" series. Still, this manga has a special place in my heart for its wonderfully tall and beautiful female MC and the alluring artwork that Mizunagi-sensei crafted...so to speak. Sure there is no anime-tie-in, and the sales haven't exactly been big in Japan (which I've seen is a pretty important factor, it would seem), but why not take a chance? I think the Western audience could really eat this up.

Seitokai Yakuindomo (妄想学生会) / Ujiie Tozen - Weekly Shonen Magazine
  • It has an absolutely hilarious anime adaptation...which unfortunately remains to be licensed
  • It's a gag-manga, which admittedly haven't done well in the US historically, but I think the humor is simple/easy enough to bring over and catch on here
  • The US needs more 4-koma/comedy series. Since Bandai Entertainment up and left, fans have been in the dark and that's a fanbase that simply isn't buying much of anything - untapped potential!
  • The well may have been dry years ago after getting over-saturated from the manga-boom, but I think there is demand now (look at Project-H capitalizing on the demand for h-manga)
  • It's a hilarious, simple, non-sequitur and toilet humor manga...and I love it

SYD is a hard pitch, and I don't expect to see it licensed. Would I buy it? I'd buy 10. And I'd tell my friends to buy it too. And everyone within earshot or on any social media that I go with. It's such a fun series that shouldn't be enjoyed as much as most fans do -- it's a guilty pleasure of the most severe degree. Really a favorite of mine, since it's an underdog title.

That's about it for now; I would request/recommend All-Rounder Meguru (オールラウンダー廻) from Endo Hiroki...but martial arts is still sports and god knows the US fanbase for manga doesn't buy into such manga. If there is a chance for it (and I honestly think there would be), that would be awesome. UFC is HUGE these days, and I don't think it would be much of a stretch to garner decent attention from fans that like anime/manga and mixed martial arts (we've always had that kind of relationship with martial arts, right? Anime fans, I mean)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Id be all over All-Rounder Meguru, i really dont get the hatred of sports manga people have over there but theres alot of good stuff from things like Teppu to Eyesheild 21
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I love sports manga and have bought a number of series: Slam Dunk, Real, Eyeshield 21, Cross Game, and Hikaru no Go. And I'd buy a number more, like Hajime no Ippo, Big Windup, and Giant Killing.

Anyway, also wanted to second Saint Young Men, although I think there's an issue that the mangaka doesn't want that over here for fear of outrage.
zeta kira

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I would of recommended all-rounder meguru but unfortunately Endo's Eden hasn't been selling all that well for Dark Horse cause otherwise they would of released the last five volumes by now. Both Eden and Tanpenshu were absolutely fantastic and I'd highly recommend those who have yet to check them out to do so. Also, count me in as one of the minority who highly enjoy sports manga.
OniTasku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Would also like to note that I'm thrilled Kodansha Comics will be releasing Vinland Saga in hardcover omnibus format. Big fan of hardcover releases, and have been quite happy to see more series getting hardcover-love these past few years from publishers like Yen Press and Vertical. Happy to see KC joining the fold.

On that note, I hope the title does well (as I'm sure it will), and would really like to see KC venture out and do more hardcover releases. I love having a larger trim size, and it just looks so amazing amongst a manga collection.

Or even more, is KC actively planning to do more hardcover releases at the time, or is this just going to be an experiment so they can test the waters?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Sad to have confirmation that Nodame Cantabile will never be finished though I had pretty much accepted that fact (and at least the live action adapted the story until the end so I do know the conclusion).

Mars is one of my favourite manga and I enjoyed Eternal Sabbath too, so I would love to see more from Soryu Fuyumi as well.

And Chihayafuru is another good one. I'm enjoying the anime but I feel like it might be one where I like the story as manga even more. And I would probably be interested in Space Brothers too, though I haven't had a chance to check the anime for that one out yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9