• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
With SEED I see even fewer applicable parallels. Still doesn't quite answer my question.

I guess I am just shallow with this one. It was the pilots and well the Mecha's. I have only seen a few eppys on YTV, and I was like what this is sort of like Eva. I don't like it. Don't ask me to explain further cus I can't. I realise I am being childish and dumb but well, that's just me. I know I should give it a chance cus it is proabably good. But I just can't. Also I should note everytime I did check this out, there was a male character that reminded of me of Shinji. I am not sure if it was just the eppy's I saw, or if i am getting this mixed up with something else. Thank you for your patience.

Also I realise how silly this is because of the fact that I love wedding Peach, which is a clear rip off of Sailor Moon. But I guess I am just werid. So yes my friend, just chalk it up to my crazyness.

So I guess this is never going to make sense to anyone, since it does not even make sense to me. lol.

I think considering that "Gundam" is a franchise dating back over 25 years and the fact that AU Gundam programs tend to be recyled elements of the Universal Century shows with new spins on them, it would be difficult to pin Gundam Wing, as awful as it is, as a Neon Genesis Evangelion rip-off.

Also, labeling anything that's similar to another thing as a "cheap rip-off" without understanding the history behind it, or identifying key factors that prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that it blatently copies its plotline (not its formula, as many types of shows have a formula that it works with but varies from which is why Love Hina isn't a "Tenchi Muyo rip-off") is sort of lame.

If you "can't explain it", then you shouldn't have brought it up at all.

Look I do not mean to sound like psycho/mean, or like a cow but IT IS MY OPIONION. I do not feel that you have the right to judge me and label me (call me lame) because I disagree with you. I don't care if the Gundams are a franchaise or whatever. I saw Eva before I saw them, and therefore when I saw similitaries I came to the conclusions I came to. Also maybe I should have also noted, that unlike Eva I found the Gundams I have seen, both on YTV and elsewhere, to be extreamly boring.(I have done this now.)

Therefore I am giving you a viable reason for my dislike. Gundam Seed is extremly boring. This is only my opionion, weither you like it or not, or disagree with me, is up to you.
Also if you would have had read through my other post you would have realised that I was talking bout Gundam Seed and not Gundam Wing. I already owned up to the mistake, and do not feel that I should have to justify myself more then I already have.

My mistake - Gundam SEED. The same comments apply, however.

Also, you needn't take what I said so personally. I wasn't persecuting you for having an opinion - I was criticizing your lack of depth in expressing said opinion and your misunderstanding of established anime genres.

You can feel free to express any opinion, but you can't just make vague, broad statements like "I find it to be a cheap rip off of Eva" and not expect any reasonable scrutiny, which is what I was giving.

Your "opinion" does not live in a vaccum.

I realise that but I wanted to clear that up. Maybe it's just cus I usaually don't like Mecca animes and therfore have a pre-concieved prejudices as it is. Which I understand is not very good of me. However, I have stated in numerous posts that I also found it to be extremly boring. And weither or not my opinion lives in a vaccum, is not the point. It is still my opionion and i am entitled to it. And yes once again it is boring. Case closed.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
And yes once again it is boring. Case closed.

Not to be mean, but now that you've said that, why do you think it's boring? Sorry, but ANN's rules do require that people provide at least a little insight into their choices. Simply saying "I don't like it," or "I don't like it; it is ____," simply don't cut it. "I don't like it; it is ____ because ________________," is generally more acceptable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mistress9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Like I said It could be that I haven't seen enough of it, and other then Eva, I don't like Mecca anime. But to give you a more indepth analyisis, I found it to be boring and overrated. I felt that the storyline was very boring. It did not appeal to me at all. I am sorry but a war story, that has gigantic machines fighting is just so boring and over done. To me this series was just full of mindless action. Yawn, Yawn. Not to mention none of the characters appealed to me at all. Where well the whole child in the mecca thing, reminded me of Eva.(the characters appeared to be the same age as shinji and co. If i am wrong then correct me.) I realise that the Gundam franchise was out for longer then EVA and all the Jazz. But like I said in other posts I saw Eva first and so I based my assumptions on that. This also could have been influenced by the fact that I already thought that the overall premise was not for me, and the characters were not appealing, once again to me. I realise alot of you are Gundam fans, and I am truly sorry if I insulted you. However, that does not mean I have to be a fan. I have every right to not like it, even if they are supefical reasons.

I hope this clears up reasons why I find it boring. If it's for you then that's cool, but for me I have find it dreadful. Once again Iam sorry if I offened anyone, I am not trying to flame anyone, I just dont' like any of the Gundams. Also like I said earilier clase closed. I don't know how much more I can into this bout why I dislike this.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
A warning to Mistress9: stop confusing Mecha with Mecca, the holiest site in Islam. What you have done can be seen as sacrilege from both parties.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mistress9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
A warning to Mistress9: stop confusing Mecha with Mecca, the holiest site in Islam. What you have done can be seen as sacrilege from both parties.

I am not confusing anything I just can't spell. LOL. I will try and be careful in the future. Please forgive me everyone. I did warn you all bout my bad grammer in the introduction thread, so.... Laughing
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: After reading your PM I believe your situation qualifies for "exempt from spelling and grammar rules." I'll inform admins not to treat you as being lazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
YoMaNaTiOn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
JustlceGundam wrote:
Least favorte:
This will suprise many.
1.)Elfen Lied
I think it's the absolute worst anime ever made. It has a story, but does nothing with it, or does very little with it. 'Diclonius new race that will replace humans,' and 'Find Lucy.' That is all. No real story at all. And when I say it does little with it, I mean they do it so simply. spoiler[New guy comes. Hunts Lucy. He dies. Army comes. Lucy kills them.] that happens in all 13 episodes. Really, nothing at all. The violence is repetitive. it is all the same. spoiler[Lucy chops everyone into pieces, that is all. That happens in every fight.] None of it is new. spoiler[Lucy, chops someone in half. Lucy, chops someone in half. ]Boring! the violence in Berserk is how it's really suppose to be done. The characters are terrible also. They really don't have personality. Kouta's sister or cousin(I dunno), "Omg! I love my brother, but he loves someone else! i'm going to go crazy." That was her character. i honestly didn't see anything else to her character. Each diclonius is suppose to have a sad background story, and Elfen lied has something "special" to it. The way it evokes emotions, and how we care for these characters. That is BS! Every anime series evokes emotion. Elfen Lied is not special. How can i feel sorry for these tortured girls, when they just go and kill everyone? The people they kill have familes. Nana is the only one I could ever evoke emotion too. Kouta is just as lame as they are. This is just like another crap harem. He can't decide who he loves. The whole series he is just thinking, "Lucy, Lucy, Lucy. Lucy." spoiler[Though during his flashback you figure out that he has a connection to her.] But it doesn't help out. His mind is just on her, and where she is, or what she is doing, who is she. His character is just focused on her, most of the time. Mayu is another character I though was good, and had a good flashback. But after her episode, where we figure out about her past, they throw her away. "Ok, you know about her, who cares about her, we will focus on another character now." I think that is what the director was thinking. i thought it was goint o be great. A lot of people on another forum i post on(my name gives away who i am) recommended it to me. I think Elfen lied had a hidden message. How races are discriminated against, and when that happens, you go kill all the people who discrimanate against you. Good message? Give me a break. But sometimes the only way to solve a problem is through violence.

I don't think Elfen Lied is special. Such animes/mangas like Evangelion, Berserk, Honey and Clover, and many others evoke emotion a lot better than Elfen Lied. Which I hear is Elfen Lieds strong point. Blah!

I didn't want to make the comment, but I can't help it... You haven't actually WATCHED the whole series seriously have you? Because your post just doesn't make sense...
Telaka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Saw this, and it seems I missed the era when people were posting about top 10s/ bottom 5s, but I'm brand new here and I'd like to post mines (even if it wont particularly interest anyone anymore). *cracks fingers and begins to ponder...* Okaie dockie (I wouldn't say these were in any particular order):

. Orguss 2: First anime I ever saw, save from Pokemon and the horribly edited Cardcaptors. From there I've been watching a good few series after series for the past year and am gradually becoming an anime-nut, but it all began with this one. It showed me what anime could really be; a rival for any live action show/series that America could churn out for its big bucks, if done well and maturley, which so many of them are.

. Landlock: Perhaps it's more a sentimental thing, to do with the fact that my boyriend bought me this on DVD for our 6 month anniversiry, but I do know I enjoyed it when I watched it, and I'd recommend it to anyone not necesserily looking to be bogged down in a whole series. Good mythical/action anime; good characters. (I always look for good characters in an anime above almost all else).

. Hellsing: One of the first whole series I watched (I think it was second to Full Metal Panic in fact) and just brilliantly animated/voiced. Integra - I loved her, she was an amazing, powerful character. Oh, and the theme tune is the best I've ever heard in an anime.

. Full Metal Panic: First full anime series I ever watched and I think that's the reason it'll stay with me as one of my favourites, although I do wish it would have stayed serious for longer periods of times during certain scenes. The comedy was good though Smile

. Love Hina: Didn't think I'd like it after watching the OAV in English, but after getting past that and switching to Japanese it became a great love of mines. Fell in love with the cast - I just adore Su and Kitsune - and it really is the funniest anime I've ever watched. Also the first series I ever watched entirly in Japanses, and I'll be keeping that way from now on Cool

. Noir: Now I have to specify that this is probably my second favourite anime to date. The whole look, the smooth, 'quiet' style, the music, the characters and bloodless action, the cool ruthlesness, the minimum diologue, the story - I could go on but I think that just about sums it up. I still don't have the soundtrack but I will one day, and I'm sure almost any who have seen Noir will agree, it has one of the most awe-inspiring scores to any anime. And I much like the funny, ever changing relationship between Kirika and Mirielle. As I've mentioned, characters and relationships and my number one priority with any sort of program, especially with animes.

. Samurai Champloo: My absolute favourite anime to date, and I've only seen the first 6 episodes so far Very Happy I can hardly begin to describe how far I've fallen in love with this inovative and lively piece of heaven-in-animation. It's all down to one thing really. Yeah the animation's like nothing I've ever seen before, from the fight sequences to the character designs, and then to the flashy way it jumps from scene to scene, with the music and then the humour/drama/ everything else that we all know makes it imfamous. But really, I have never seen a trio like it in my life! In fact, I have. I make up one of a trio in really life who mimic the antics of these three brilliantly but unintentionally, but still I love them all together so much that I could just watch them do what they do all day looong. And now you can hear I've gone a very slghtly loony talking about it, as I so often do, so I'll stop while I'm slightly ahead. I've got my point across, Samurai Champloo rules all in my books.

Okay, I'll leave the least favourites for now (I don't really have many, just some general pet hates when it comes to anime, i.e: uber-angst *coughEvangelioncough*) as I think I've gone on for long enough. For anyone interested in reading this, go ahead, and I'd love to chat if anyone's got anything to say in responce.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
TOP 5

5*
Paranoia Agent- Having watched anime for quite a long time I have gotten to the point where I can most of the time predict how a series is going to play out. This was hardly the case with Paranoia Agent. I also loved they way it delt with Psychology and defense mechanisms. For those who have seen it you know what I am talking about, and those who haven't.....watch and find out.

4*
Chobits- What started out as your basic light-harem/love comedy took a huge turn about 3/4 of the way through the series when you find out that most of the characters are somehow tied together. Strong script writting and a great cast of characters are mixed with stunning animation.

3*
Mahoromatic- Again, another harem that could have fallen flat on it's face if it wasn't for a strong storyline that picks up later. A mix of comedy, ecchi, love story, action, and depressing elements makes this an easy choice to make my top

2*
NG Evangelion- Love it or hate it, everyone knows about it. A mech anime that really has nothing to do with mech. Religious under-tones that really are just symbolism for deeper under-tones. This is really one of just a handful of series that leaves the final interpritation up to the viewer. I do not believe this was written and made for everyone...maybe anyone to fully understand. I really could go on and on about this, but I'll just leave it at that.

1*
SE Lain- I can not find a single thing wrong with this series. The storyline is beyond deep. The script is very strong, especially when nothing is said. Sometimes silence speaks louder than and word can. A chilling soundtrack really added to the entire mood of the series. Crisp animation for the time it came out. Some may argue that it looked kind of flat, but I believe if it was any brighter or more fleshed out, it would have subtracted from the mood rather that add. Again I could continue, but I don't want to turn this into a novel.

There are many many others, but this is just my top 5 at the moment.

BOTTOM 3

3*
Happy Lesson- I went into this series with such high hopes and they were crushed so very fast. Every episode felt like a filler without any type of direction. I could not feel anything for the cast of characters.

2*
Dragon Ball Z- Fights that span over 4 episodes. 5 minute recap of the last episode and a 5 minute trailer of the next episode....meh. Constant fillers and interchangable fights were everywhere. This was just to me an all-around terrible series.

1*
Crying Freeman After taking a break from anime in the early 90's due to lack of avalibility, I come back to this. OH MY GOD! What could have made for a really interesting story was turned into mild hentai. I would love to see a series about an unwilling assassin, but I don't need to see random acts of sex. So so pomising and yet so so bad.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, my tastes in anime are a bit differant from a lot of other people's.. but I like what I like!

Mai HiME: A lot of people either don't like Mai HiME, or thought it was okay. Well, it's my favorite anime of all time. It just... has everything I want in an anime. Great characters, awesome action, great music, twists and turns, tons of drama, a good amount of comedy (but it knows how to keep them seperate), a little fanservice, a little romance.. but most of all its the pacing that makes Mai HiME my favorite. The rate at which they reveal the multitude of secrets in the last few episodes is PERFECT, it kept me on the edge of my seat and excited for the entire last 9 or 10 episodes, and no other anime has ever done that. True, the ending wasn't everything I'd hoped for.. but I didn't /hate/ it. And as they say, it's the journey that counts, not the destination! If I loved 25 and a half episodes of an anime, the last 15 minutes of the last episode being slightly disappointing isn't going to make me hate the show. Smile My number one still, months after I first watched it!

Mai Otome: How can I not love the sequel to my favorite show? I admit, the storyline in Otome is not as good as HiME, but the world-building is so much better. The world Otome takes place in is fascinating. My only real complaint with this series is it should have been MUCH longer. There's so much to explore, it feels like they barely touched on it. The last two episodes are pure awesome, too. But they're making an OVA!

Naruto: Another controversial choice, but I love Naruto! At least up until episode 135. Razz I remember that when I first watched this, up until episode 124 was out.. and I watched all 124 episodes in 8 days. I skipped classes and barely slept. Smile What a great week, too! Sure, it's silly. Sure, the characters aren't super-deep metaphors for any religious icons or political figures. But it's just so /cool/. The cast of supporting characters is really what makes Naruto so great. The three main characters.. eh, I can take 'em or leave 'em. But damn, I love Neji. Smile Then the stupid fillers came and ruined everything.. but maybe they'll end soon!

Bleach: So sue me, I have a soft spot for shounen action series. Smile I love series where the main character is some guy everyone underestimates and then he kicks their asses. It gives me a thrill to see arrogan jerks get served their comuppance! And this show has plenty of that. The story, spoiler[once they reach Soul Society,] is fantastic. Of course, this show has descended into filler-dom too, now.. but surprisingly, the Bleach filler isn't that bad! Still, I can't wait for them to get back to the main plot..

Scrapped Princess:This is another show that has it all.. good characters, good animation, and a damn good story! This is the only anime I have ever seen that has explained pretty much EVERYTHING. No mysteries left to hound us who like closure. And I appreciate that. The major twist of this series is sweet too: predictable, true, but still awesome.

Last Exile:I love epics. And this series is an epic. There's really no other way to define it. With some of the best animation in any series I've seen, a huuuuge storyline, memorable characters, and great music, Last Exile is worth the money I spent on the boxed set, easy.

Azumanga Daioh:This show is hysterical. My favorite comedy anime. Sure, there's nothing actiony, supernaturaly, or even romancy about it.. but it doesn't need it. It's funny. Very funny. One of the only animes I actually prefer to watch in English, too. Osaka's voice is priceless!

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu: FMP I can take or leave.. but Fumoffu is a riot. My second-favorite comedy series, after Azumanga, this show takes everything that I didn't like about the first series (read: mechs and angst) and basically threw them out the window and focused on the best part of it: the comedy. And it does it so well. Violent humor, sure, but sometimes that's the best kind. Wink

Crest/Banner of the Stars: A great sci-fi series. My favorite sci-fi series. It's been described as a 'talking heads' series, and its true. But the dialogue is great. You have to be able to appreciate great dialogue to like this series, because that's pretty much all it has: but it has so much of it. And Jinto and Lafiel are pretty much my favorite anime couple. Smile You get so attached to them, by the end of Banner of the Stars III, I was like *sniff* awww. Another series that needs to be longer.. but I guess they figured four seasons was enough. But it's not!

Paranoia Agent:My roomate and I watched this every week for 13 weeks when they aired it on Adult Swim. It's my favorite psychological, messed up series. It's so messed up. But that's why I like it! Also, I love the intro theme. It keeps you guessing the whole time, and even if the answer to the whole thing turned out to be exactly what I guessed it would be after the first episode, I had no idea I was actually right until the end, so. Smile

BOTTOM 5

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I'm sorry, I just don't like this show. It's confusing, it's boring, and none of the characters are remotely likable to me. Oh well.. I thought RahXephon did the whole mecha-metaphor MUCH better. Not enough for it to make my top 10, but y'know. Smile

Full Metal Alchemist:Sure to make me enemies, I bet, but what can I say. I don't like FMA. I don't /hate/ it, but I don't /like/ it, and I think the fact that tons and tons of people love it actually makes me like it less. I just don't see what's so interesting about it. It's too whiny. And depressing. Now, I like my share of depressing anime (Gunslinger Girl and SaiKano both barely didn't make my top 10), but FMA doesn't posses any of the traits I like in a depressing anime: and even if you argue that it has positive lessons and stuff in the end, you have to admit.. 90 percent of it is a total downer. And I just can't get into it.

s-CRY-ed: I do not like this show. The whole concept of it, the goofy looks of the characters, the /horrible/ writing (at least in English, but it can't ALL be translation's fault), and the dumb ending (at least to me) easily gets this on my least-liked list.

Ummm.. I really can't think of any more I really dislike, so I guess that's it![/u][/b]
Siilent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It takes me so long to get through a series. It's been about a month or two, and I'm still holding off watching the last disk of Spiral because I don't want it to end!

Wow, I haven't seen all that much when I look at people around here. I'll post my preferences, but keep in mind that this pretty much adds up to all the anime I've seen (other than dubs on tv like pokemon). I'm almost giving an opinion on all of them, not really ranking them. I've only finished a few. With really good ones, it takes me a while to edge myself to the ending because I don't want it to be over. Keep the obsession alive!

Fruits Basket: The best I've seen yet. There's no way to explain how thankful I am that my friends started watching it on their computers. If I hadn't seen it over their shoulders or heard from them, I would have never given this series a chance. I guess it's a lesson to be more open-minded. I'd never have even glanced at a series in which "a girl stumbles across a family in the woods, but finds out that when she hugs them, they turn into animals!"

I'd just go "what the hell?" and continue on. Instead of the fairy tale, whimsical romance that I expected, I found an incredibly character-filled, unique, somehow deep anime. I also found my favourite anime character of all time, Akito.

Naruto: I used to be so proud of this show: so happy to love it. I was obsessed. The late fillers, however, are so terrbile that it blanks the excellence from my memory. I just sit there thinking "why am I watching this?"

While looking like another mediocre shounen fighter series on the surface, it has a variety of characters that are each very unique and memoriable, and has a plot that puts it on a much higher level to what it's often compared to, Dragon Ball Z.

Overall, the true series before the fillers is really amazing. A while ago, I would have said it comes very close to being up there with Fruits Basket. I should leave it as it was and stay with that opinion, though Naruto has done anything but grow on me in the past while.

Spiral: A great deal more insightful than I thought: I really enjoy this series so much that it deserves number three on my not-very-big list. It's not perfect, but it is clever and very engaging to watch. The characters are individual, the mystery is nice to try to follow...It has a lot of good qualities. I can't really say much, however, seeing as I refuse to suck it up and watch the last disk. I've heard something about a less-than-average ending that leaves a lot of strings hanging, and I don't want that. From what I've seen, it deserves position 3.

.hack //sign: I recently got into this series so it may be a little higher up than it should be. There's not much I can say overall, since I'm only on episode 7. Embarassed It really is /that/ good though, especially its characters. One in particular draws me in completely: without Sora, the best character of the bunch, I don't think the series would be so high up on the list. It's probably even better than I think, because a lot of questions are very unanswered about Tsukasa and all. A series with nice music, beautiful art, questions to be answered, and an extremely awesome character. This is the life.

First season of Gantz?: This is my number five. My last of the favourites. This is difficult, seeing as I'm caught in the middle with this one. I love the concept, I love the messages, but there are so many things I hate about this series. I've only seen the first season/half and plan to keep it that way, as it gets a bit too explicit later on.

First of all, this series probably has the most annoying and selfish character I've yet to see- those who have seen the series are probably predicting me saying 'Kurono', but that's the wrong answer. That girl (Kishimoto, or something?) is the most annoying person ever.

spoiler[Everyone has a suit but Kurono, meaning everyone else is stronger. When her beloved Kato is in danger, what does she do?! She pleads for Kurono to "help him!" He is the most in danger there and she wants him to risk his life when she can just do it herself?! She has a suit after all, and is perfectly capable of pulling a trigger with her own, dainty little finger. Or maybe she's worried a nail might break.]

Looking past the irritating characters and completely perverted nature of some of Gantz (first season only), it has a compelling plot and some other characters that are very worth it.

Bottom anime:

1. Chobits: Before you flame me, let me back myself up by stating that I haven't seen over 15 titles of anime! Out of everything I've seen, Chobits sinks to the very bottom.

Perverted, practically plotless, and generally idiotic for the most part, this series got more and more annoying to watch. I had to stop around episode eight, so granted, I probably don't have all my information to bash the series.

Maybe it gets better- maybe it gets a plot- but I'm not sticking around to wait for one. When something actually happened, spoiler[(Chii's system messing up or whatever was happening to her)], there was suddenly a huge unnecesaary burst of drama and overdone sadness that didn't even tug at a heartstring. I couldn't care less if all of the character's spontaniously exploded in the middle of the last episode. In fact, that would be much more entertaining than what I was putting up with.

Oh well. At least their noses are good. Confused

2. Wolf's Rain: While nice to look at, the series was quite dull. The characters lacked emotion to me, and when their friend was being dragged around by a vicious creature under the ice, all the main leads could do was stand there and talk calmly to each other. They were selfish, but not even entertainingly so. It was a dull selfishness for almost every character in there- the only one worth mentioning is Toboe, who didn't exactly make up for the entire series' dullness.

From walking around together, stoically for each I might add, to finding a nice girl (my least favourite character) who ~cared for them all~, it was unentertaining from beginning to end. That girl they accepted in their little 'group' pinned the final nail on the coffin. She's probably the runner up for most annoying anime character I've seen yet.

Unfortunately that's all I can mention for the not-so-good.

Honorable Mentions:

Kyou Kara Maou: An entertaining series.
Saiyuki Reload: Confusing, being the sequel, but fun.
Azumanga Daioh: Light and spontanious, realistic characters.
Gravitation: Pretty good, but not without its flaws.

If you want to argue with my opinions on Wolf's Rain and Chobits, please do so in a civilized way. Embarassed

-Sii, who is probably forgetting something.[/spoiler]
morsmaestro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Sigh...I might as well post here finally. But first some thoughts.
Is there much point in keeping to add to this already massive topic? For people looking for good anime and want other opinions, I would think no one would read to page 33.When I read through it, I got to page 5 before I thought, well thats pretty much the gist of good anime. On the other hand, I did sort of enjoy reading Exaars post since he/she has differing viewpoints. But by and large, how many people are going to read that many pages of information when they've already read so much?

Since I've posted here, I might as well post my favorites, in case anyone decides to read it.

I think I'll do my least favorites first...

Least Favorite
3. Cromartie High School - I generally don't like low comedy, and I absolutely despise melodrama. I saw absolutely no soul in this series, no feeling. I can't think of much as to why I don't like it.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion - (I'm going to challenge a well-liked series as well...) I didn't detest it, but I thought it jumped around everywhere and it was hard to get a grip on the story. A lot of times I found myself wondering 'whats the point?'. And I don't like the older anime graphics. I don't think it should make a difference, but it does.

1. Colorful - OK, heres something I can really scream over Evil or Very Mad. Not only does it lack a cohesive storyline, I fail to see any point to it. No real 'characters' per se. Maybe shallow comedy at best. I could possibly be elevated to the status of 'porn' but I don't think its even good enough for that.

Favorites

The titles are actually links; call me crazy but I didn't like them blue.

8. Rahxephon - I normally don't like mechas, or the whole idea of mechas, but Rahxephon is not just a mecha. Its also about the difference of truth and lies--the wild duck, if anyone knows what I mean--and relationships, heritage and bloodlines, and the true meaning of home. Its got a bit of philosophy that got me thinking, Mainly "Does it really matter, whether you dream of the butterfly or the butterfly dreams of you, because in the end, don't you both exist in reality?"
The story was really good, and it had lots of drama. Good music and animation. All around an excellent series.

7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - I liked the intelligence of the series in that it deals with politics and the dynamics of a mass society. It portrays a world not too far in the future that is entirely possible and in my opinion probable. The science and technology is not outlandish, and a lot of it has actually been achieved since the series' production, or is currently in development. It sees society as it is, and shows different aspects of individuals in a large system. A lot of it is showing the audience what the world could become, a lot like 1984 did. That, and its just doublepluscool.

6. Samurai Champloo - The characters. Really deep and multi-faceted characters. Its really interesting to figure them out. Other than that, I like how it shows the revolution in the culture of Japan in the 1850's. Awesome fight scenes, very fluid movement and nicely planned sequences. The music is NOT hyped. Its as good as they say it is, which is excellent and IMO...perfect.

5. Whisper of the Heart - I like all Studio Ghibli movies, but this one stood out, and its massively underrated. One thing I really like about this was the message. It shows the struggle of young artists. This passage sums up the biggest message:
Quote:
“It looks like a rock.”
“It’s a special kind of rock, called a geode…When you first become an artist, you’re like that rock. You’re in a raw, natural state, with hidden gems inside. You have to dig down deep and find the emeralds tucked away inside you. And that’s just the beginning. Once you’ve found your gems you have to polish them. It takes a lot of hard work. Oh, and here’s the tricky part. Look at the crack in the geode. You see that big green crystal there? You could spend years polishing that, and it wouldn’t be worth much at all. The smaller crystals are much more valuable, and there may be some even deeper inside that we can’t see, which are even more precious.”

This movie warms the heart and also has great music lyrics. Wonderful insight by Miyazaki and the late Yoshifumi Kondo.

4. R.O.D. - A lot of nicely done characters done here as well, with the different personalities in the 3 sisters, the strong character in Nenene, and how Yomiko is so loveable but weak in spirit and so easily manipulated. I liked the story, and the whole idea of a nationalist UK trying to take over the world by controlling peoples way of thinking. Very Orwellian, minus the depressive nature. I like that it carries a lot of realism, in that it uses modern day settings and shows how it really is--besides the obvious exceptions--Like in showing Hong Kong it shows the run down cramped apartments and the modern new skyscrapers right next to each other. And the characters' emotional reactions aren't exaggerated, just realistic.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist - I like FMA for a lot of reasons, first of all that its cool, basically how it brings to life an ancient science--FYI Isaac Newton was an alchemist searching for the philosophers stone, if you didn't already know--The military dictatorship Cool *, secret societies, reference to the 7 deadly sins, etc. Yes, it is a bit of a dark series but I like that, personally. Some complex characters, and a lot of meaningful underpinnings; I really like the deeper meanings and messages. I actually quoted it for a school essay once: "Even in the darkest of suffering a man can sleep, but for the man who inflicts the suffering his mind cannot rest."
Lots of drama and revelations for the characters, primarily Ed. Great story. I honestly can't find any faults in FMA.

*In case I freaked people out, I don't advocate oppressive totalitarian governments

2. His and Her Circumstances - Also tied for 2nd would be this masterpiece. It touches on a lot of subjects. Besides love, it explores family relationships, friendship, acceptance, revenge, and image, among others. It recognizes the many layers that people make for themselves to hide from the world. The characters think and act like normal people would, not exaggerated emotions and stuff. I liked the deeper messages in this, one being that people can have all the money, knowledge, and power in the world but still miss the important things in life.
Also, an eclectic mix of artistic styles. It goes from exaggeration and humor (like Trigun) to dark and serious scenes, and plays around with photos to make really cool backgrounds; it uses sketch art, still life images, color representation, the only bad one being the use of stick figures (that kind of sucked but it was only 1 episode). A few developmental issues, though, with changing directors and stuff so it leaves a lot of room for improvement. If not for this, it would be #1
Also, it uses elements not very common anymore, with symbolism and whatnot. But I'm ranting. Great series.

1. Last Exile - I love the story, the drama, and the grandeur of the series. It's very inventive, like having the civilization in the new world use latin and greek writing systems, the victorian style to a lot of the machinery, the alternate track of technology, and the creation of whole new social, economic, and political situations. I like the ship battles--probably my favorite kind of fighting scenes is with Sophia commanding the skies and the Vanship fleet flying together. I really like epics, as LE can best be described. A lot of the characters change dramatically over the course of the series. I especially liked the transformation in spoiler[Tatiana]. Plus, the art was done really well, best use of a 3D engine yet, and the music was the best I have seen in any screen production, period.

Although I ranked Last Exile #1, I just ordered Haibane Renmei, and from what I've read of it, it just might compete for the #1 spot. I'll edit this post once I've seen it.

Wow, that was more of a challenge than I thought. Two days to write one post...

BTW, bravo to you, Exaar for standing up to your opinion of FMA. Thats why I enjoyed reading your post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime-Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
The problem with me is that i am too in the moment and only have a dual reaction. I will watchan anime, and while watching it, either think its the best I've ever watched, or absolutely terrible. So i had to submit myself to about 5 days of anime fasting to post this.

1.) Azumanga Daioh - The zany humor and relaxed general atmosphere of this series went straight to my heart. The charecter designs are very well done, youl never get them mixed up, and additionally their personalities are well rounded. It is a refreshing break from those animes like Excel Saga.

2.) RahXephon - I suppose it is a clone of NGE, yet i understood NGE. I ahve been told by many that NGE is convoluted and the ending is enouch to send a person into permanant phychosis. However i found all these aspects to me much more prevelant in RahXephon. The story has several emotional twists that are foreshadowed, but strong nontheless.

3.) Mahoromatic - One af the very few animes where the male subject of a harem anime is actually EXTREMElY in the female subjects. It relly presses the fact that mahoro IS an android, and gears and stuff fall out if you break her. An execlent story wthout much filler, and a traumatic ending. It threw me off for days.

4.) Elfien Lied - Two words, Pink Hair. I have a ling standing weakness for pink hair. Usually im not intrested in blood 'n Guts, but it was soo well done, and not excessive that i was drawn into the story. You can really feel the emotions of the charecters.

5.) Bleach - I loved the first season. The perfect combination of extremely well done charecter personalitys, great humor, and a unexcessive amount of violence. After the first season however it gets too much into the hack-and-slash and not enough humor.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
TOP (In no particular order)

1:Rahxephon

In short, it's Evangelion but better. Instead of having the main character be an angstful teenager who does nothing but bicker and cry, you have a more mature...teenager who...doesn't bicker and cry. That aside, it has a fascinating story, good music, and just the right amount of comedy, drama, and action mixed together. Of course, the drama thickens towards the end, but it was well done (angst done right is...not a bad thing). Plus the opening is catchy. (Maaya Sakamoto anyone?)

(One of the few animes where i prefer the dub over the sub. ADV did a great job in picking out the right voice actors to play the roles).

2:Twelve Kingdoms

An amazing fantasy epic, albeit a slow start. Great character development, great music, great plot, and most of all, a fascinating world which just grips you and won't let go. The main character, Youko, was amazingly developed throughout the series, and other characters were fascinating as well spoiler[Enki, one amazing Kirin]. The world which Twelve Kingdoms takes place in coexists with ours, and is described so well that you can't help but be drawn into it. It is governed by its own set of rules, and the world is slowly revealed to you bit by bit. Especially fascinating was the focus on small details, and those were ultimately what brought the world to life. Plus, the opening sequence is gorgeous...a nice break from all the JPop...

3:Zettai Shounen

I love the slow pacing in this series! This is comparable to works like Haibane Renmei, where nothing big happens plotwise, and mysteries are revealed in due time. The story keeps you fascinated, as to what the spoiler["material faeries," the cold and warm balls of light] really are, and what they represent. I would file this one under the category "Magical Realism," and the main characters accept the supernatural around them with calmness and calamity. The animation complements the tone of this series really well, with the simplicity and dark colors used. The main character was a little bit bland, but some of the other characters, spoiler[Sukawara Akira (the reporter), the shougi player (forgot his name), and Makki] developed quite well throughout the series as they learned to coexist with the supernatural. It's one of those anime where you feel like you are part of the world.

(Many people hated the OP/ED, but i thought the ED was really...enchanting. But OP was bleh)

4:Fate/Stay Night

I haven't played the game in which this anime was adapted from, nor have I watched Tsukihime, but this anime is just really enjoyable. The plot is not that original, the characters aren't exceptional, the music was alright (with the OP being pretty bland), and the animation was not the best, but for some reason I just love this series. It's basically a "tournament" type premise, with 7 Masters and 7 servants duking it out. It was a little boring in the beginning, but after the "war" began it became quite addictive. There's just no telling what they're going to do next, whose going to be the next enemy, and whose going to win (and if they win, how heavy the casualties/injuries will be). You don't know who to trust, who to treat as an enemy, and who will suddenly pop out and attack. (Bonus points 'cause Rin is so awesome).

5:Shakugan no SHANA

I liked the chibi character designs so much that I went and bought the Ito Noizi Artbook Collection (Character Designer for the series). Aside from that, I liked the premise quite a bit ("You no longer exist"...creepy), and Ootani Kou did a good job with the music (track names are all in French o_O). Again, there is just the right blend of comedy, action, and drama.

(And the opening track is terribly addictive...why'd they have to go change it halfway...).

BOTTOM (In no particular order)

1:Honey & Clover

Yes, I am of the small minority that dislikes this series. It wasn't a bad anime, but it's on my bottom list because in my eyes, certain drawbacks prevent this anime from being as good as it could have been (I hate ruined masterpieces). Aside from Hagumi being loli and very annoying (If you are 19 years old, you don't cry like that...), the comedy and drama just aren't compatible with each other. Often times, the anime gets quite serious, only to ruin the whole scene with Morita's arrival and his strange antics. I would have enjoyed the series much more if the comedy and drama/romance didn't interfere with each other. Just as I was beginning to enjoy the series around Episode 12, it got ruined the episode after that with some weird spoiler[Sci-fi money machine thing Morita left], which totally destroyed the atmosphere of the series. The lead character, Takemoto, is basically your average type of lead character. The only character I found interesting was Mayama, whose serious side was actually believable.

(Music was good though. OP animation was really original with the food items, and the ED song, Waltz, is REALLY addictive).

2:Last EXILE

Gonzo screwed this up big time. Wonderful soundtrack (with Miyashiro on trumpet Very Happy), a promising and intriguing plot, and stunning 3D animation...yet midway through it just fell apart. The notorious spoiler[forced character development] in the middle was unbearable, and the spoiler[strange romantic pairings] were pretty ridiculous. It picks up, only to have a weird Gonzo-ending pull the series to an uninspired end.

3:Kiddy Grade

Another Gonzo screw-up. Brilliant animation as expected from Gonzo, a good soundtrack, and a fascinating world. Except nothing really happens.

Filler filler filler. Boring monster-of-the-week (err...Mafia Syndicate of the week) for 5/12 of the series (yes, i kept tab). It finally gets interesting for a while, except now theres a bundle of unanswered questions that don't get answered and a ton of needed flashbacks that just...weren't there. And then, the last four episodes had nothing to do with anything...The worst way to close a series that I've ever seen.
dcmsm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
hi this is my first post here. i know none of you care about me, so i wont introduce myself and just give you my list (which none of you care about either, but whatever. i want to make one)

Top 5
====

5. Great Teacher Onizuka

great stuff. it has an inspiring story and good humor. i'm sure this has been mentioned every 5th post in this thread so i'm not going to bother summarising the story. next.

4. Slam Dunk!

as the name implies, it's a sport anime specifically about basketball. it's about a hot-headed thug who decides that he despises basketball after he was rejected for the 50th time for a member of the basketball team. he then bumps into a girl who is a basketball fan so he changes his attitude and joins the basketball team to try and gain her favor. it's absolutely hilarious, and actually very entertaining in its depiction of the game itself. check it out if you haven't.

3. Trigun

this is another one that's probably been reviewed a hundred times already in this thread. very entertaining to say the least.

2. Berserk

holy shit, this was one very very entertaining anime. it grabs your attention from the very first episode and manages to stay good from start to finish, something that very few animes manage to do.

1.1 cowboy bebop

another anime that's been reviewed 600 times in this thread. the reason why its ranked 1.1 is because i decided on one too many anime and didn't realise it while i was writing my reviews. whatever, on to number 1.

1. Hajime no ippo

nothing that i can say will do this anime justice. just go check it out, that's all i can say.

honorable mentions:

kyou kara ore wa!! i've only seen the first episode so far, but it reminds me a lot of shounan jun'ai gumi (the prequel to GTO). funny as hell to say the least. The series is very old, and virtually unheard of i believe. check it out if you get the chance, you won't regret it, especially if you've read and enjoyed shounan jun'ai gumi or anything similar.

elfen lied i thought that this series could have done without a lot of the violence because at points i felt that it was happening just because they had nothing else to fill the series with. the nudity and random fan service at the start also annoyed me. the story is pretty engaging which makes up for the pitfalls though.

golden boy funny as hell, as well as perverted, though not as bad as green green. its about a tokyo uni graduate who dropped out after mastering the course in a semester. he decides to go on a journey around japan on his bicycle to learn more about life. check it out if you don't mind a little pervertedness.

green green funny as hell. it's also perverted as hell as well. two lovers die in the past, and are reincarnated. at the same time, an all males school and its sister all female school are planning on integrating so they hold a camp together. the only thing that i really despised about this series was the underlining lovers destined to be together nonsense. the story was stupid and cliche, as well as the ending abrupt and dumb, but everything else was great.

Arbitrary Bottom Ranked
====

i'm not going to number or order these.

ikkitousen
let me tell you this. i hate fan service. ikkitousen is pretty much fan service with some half assed reference to the ROTK story and a sorry excuse for a fighting anime. don't waste your time.

experiment series lain
this series (or at least the first four episodes) can be summed up by one letter, repeated over and over again:
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
the first four episodes literally could have been compacted into 15 minutes. i do not appreciate watching the main character just sit there and stare at things for 10 minutes at a time. they could flash a signal to pause the anime for 10 minutes so that i could stare at a still image for the duration and it would still have the same effects of some of the things that were happening in selain. boring as hell.

wolf's rain

the series started off okay, so i kept watching it until the point where i just couldn't go on, as every episode become progressively worse. The character development is pretty much nonexistant, as the series virtually ignores every aspect of everything except the stupid flower whatever whatever.

the only thing that kept me watching was that i was interested in learning the old drunk's past, but i figured that they were never going to develop it so i stopped about half way through. don't watch this.

steam detective
drop the detective part for an accurate title for this series, because the only thing that's mildly detectivey(its a word now.) about this anime is the fact that the main character is sometimes seen holding a magnifying glass. ugh.

just thinking about these is giving me a brain tumor, so i think ill cut it off here. for every good anime there are a dozen terrible ones and countless more mediocre. i'd prefer to forget about all the ikkitousens i've seen over the years
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 122