• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's the best Yoko Kanno soundtrack?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I've recently been on something of a Yoko Kanno OST binge (courtesy of YouTube) and have been impressed by the versatility and quality of her work. While pretty much all of her soundtracks stand at the apex of anime music, there are a few that rise to the top in my mind as being especially impressive and some that seem a bit weaker. I know I'm potentially opening a can of worms here, but I'm curious as to what opinions others have as to which Yoko Kanno soundtrack is best.

I realize that what I'm about to ask may be impossible, but I'd also like you to separate your feelings from the series/movie the soundtrack is featured in. I've heard the argument that soundtracks are inextricable from the whole work and that asking one to consider the soundtrack outside of the film takes away essential context. Regardless, I ask that you please put aside your personal sentiments toward the work as a whole and only judge based on the merits of the music itself when you post. Also, please make your judgments based on the soundtrack as a whole, not just one or two "really good" songs.

To make sure I get informed opinions, I also request that you only post if you have heard all of her anime soundtracks. By "her soundtracks," I mean the ones that she composed most or all of the music for. I'll count all works in the same franchise as one category (i.e. the Escaflowne series and movie will all be one body of work since they tend to have at least a few songs or themes be the same). I've also excluded short projects she's worked on that never had their own CD released (i.e. Memories: Magnetic Rose, Noiseman Sound Insect, Ring of Gundam, Genius Party: Baby Blue). Here are all the nominees as listed in chronological order:

Macross Plus (OVA and movie versions)
The Vision of Escaflowne (TV series and movie versions, excluding songs by Hajime Mizoguchi)
Cowboy Bebop (TV series and movie versions)
Brain Powerd
∀Gundam (TV series and movie versions)
Earth Maiden Arjuna
Wolf's Rain
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (first TV series, 2nd Gig, and Solid State Society)
Darker Than Black (first series only)
Genesis of Aquarion (TV series and movie, excluding songs by Hisaaki Hogari)
Macross F (TV series and movies)
Aquarion EVOL (excluding songs by Ayako Ōtsuka)
Kids on the Slope

Please give me your pick and reasoning why. Thank you for your time!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Man oh man, you are asking an extraordinarily difficult question. Ranking her albums in such a way is hard because her albums often fall into different categories of music.

Wel I'll bite anyway. Well if we are talking about overall impression of a work, I suppose I have to pick [b]Arjuna[\b] . Firstly, it's, IMO, her most unique work. It has a fairly wide variety of music that expands a wide variety of themes. It generally sounds a lot different than her other works, and llike she really did research to give it such a mystical feel. It also feels like she wasn't afraid to tale any risks and just let her talent and imagination fly.

After that, I'd pick Escaflowne, which is most definetly her most technically excellent work on the orchestral side with tracks that rank up there with some of the best compositions of the last few decades.

Well, I bite. So what is the best CD in your opinion, since for some reason you didn't place that in your opening post?
rokon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:
...So what is the best CD in your opinion, since for some reason you didn't place that in your opening post?

I was afraid that my opinion might affect other responses, but as it turns out, Arjuna was my number 1 pick as well for the same reasons. It's both eclectic and unique and, in my opinion, distinctly Yoko Kanno. I don't think anyone could hear that soundtrack and think it was written by anyone else. Also, with only two CDs in the Arjuna soundtrack, there's not a lot of room for extraneous pieces, making sure that each song is memorable.

For second place, I would probably also have to go with Escaflowne, especially given the movie's soundtrack which remains my favorite soundtrack for any movie to this date.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series and Turn A Gundam are also both very impressive as well and, while I like the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, I found it a little too jazz-heavy.

I find it unfortunate that I've been less and less impressed with her soundtracks since GitS:SAC and even found the Wolf's Rain OST to be somewhat forgettable as well, though I'm sure others will disagree. Of course, it's impossible to keep making one unforgettable soundtrack after the next, but I wondered if it was perhaps because the post-GitS:SAC series (as well as Wolf's Rain) have been less ambitious as a whole (i.e. stories, characters, direction) than the works her better soundtracks came from. However, this could be a chicken-and-the-egg phenomenon where it could either be 1) that I'm unimpressed by the series because the soundtrack was unimpressive or 2) the soundtrack is less impressive because I was less impressed by the series as a whole.

Let me know your thoughts!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Gun to my head I choose Brain Powerd. But then after chosing Brain Powerd I start to think of Macross Plus and Turn a Gundam and start to regret my decision. Then I remember there's also Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, and GITS and start banging my head on the wall.

I went with Brain Powerd because it is the Yoko Kanno soundtrack I've been able to breeze through the most. Just a well varied assortment of songs, with not a single poor one.

Shame that the accompanying TV series is the let-down. For what it's worth, my favorite single composition of hers (Space Lion) is from Cowboy Bebop, and my favorite op/ed's are from Turn a Gundam -- but Brain Powerd is what get's the overall vote from me.
t-sam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
I had no idea Arjuna's soundtrack was so popular! It is also my favorite Yoko Kanno soundtrack, and by far. It stands alone pretty well, and I love the tribal sound a lot of the songs have. The use of drums to create a sense of impending doom in Time To Die is one of my fav parts of the CD. I also love the creepiness of Feel the Circle. I used to think Before Breakfast was the odd duck of the CD and would skip, but after really listening to it I have come to really like. It's so cheery and makes me think of a bright day that is just beginning.

For second favorite, Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop tie. I love Wolf's Rain, but there's a lot of intense emotion there, a lot of it sad, so I often have to be in the mood for it. Cowboy Bebop's variety and pure coolness doesn't affect me like WR's soundtrack does, but it's always fun and makes me want to dance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1