• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodansha License Requests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to echo everyone else and say that I'd love to be able to buy Princess Jellyfish.

I would also like to read the manga for Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster) and Sukitte Ii na yo (Say I Love You), both of which had recent anime adaptations.

I own and love Fuyui Soryo's Mars and ES, and I'd love to get Cesare.

More Moyocco Anno! Hataraki Man or maybe Love Master X.

As a Fumi Yoshinaga fan, What Did You Eat Yesterday? is on my list as well.

Space Brothers is of interest to me and it has an anime currently airing and licensed by Sentai.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Adventurer Shinyaku Arsene Lupin and Cesare in english print. I can use those series to introduce friends into manga.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
First of all, I would like to register my incredible disappointment with KondanshaUSA for not continuing Del Rey's Alive: The Final Evolution. It was a great shonen action series, it had an engaging, edge-on-your-seat plot, a fun cast of characters, great art and a bit of fanservice. I just can't understand why it was never continued: did it just fall under the radar? Did it not sell? Did Kodansha somehow lose the right to publish it after Del Rey stopped publishing manga? If anyone over at Kodansha can explain why this title disappeared and may never come back, I'd really appreciate it. Sad

That said, here are some positive requests:
1. Princess Jellyfish: The anime was fantastic, and the manga should be just as appealing. It's #1 on Vertical's licence poll!

2. My Little Monster: its anime adaptation was my favorite shojo series in a long, long time, and I know I'm not alone. Someone upthread mentioned that it's complete at twelve volumes, which should make it a pretty easy title to plan and print!

3. Planetes: this really is an exceptional series, and I believe the reason it didn't sell well the first time around is because it got lost in the glut of Tokyopop releases and the relatively little interest in seinen at the time of its release. Seinen manga gets more attention these days, and there is a renewed interest in space exploration both among anime fans (see: Space Brothers) and the population in general (Curiosity on Mars). A hard sci-fi slice-of-life in space could do a lot better now, and the excitement of the original fans of the series will give it a push. IIRC, it's only 4 volumes long, so it's not that much of a commitment. Plus, new fans of Vinland Saga will be looking for the manga-ka's other works to satisfy them between releases!
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
As I had suspected, only those two Del-Ray-pulished volumes are available in NA, but the series has gone on in Japan. I'd enjoy being able to read further in, since I liked what was there. The "Moyashimon Returns" TV series elevated the series' profile in more recent times, adapting another chunk of the story, so it's not completely off the radar. How many other series combine college hijinks, use of science for (sometimes seedy) personal gain, and a main character who sees microbes with the naked eye and can chit-chat with them?

Sorry. As I said, barring special circumstances, we're not interested in continuing Del Rey series. (Thanks for reminding me to watch the second season of Moyashimon, though. I agree, it's a great series.)

Francesca9109 wrote:
Also, I have a question, when will Kodansha Usa announce their next license for 2013?

Sorry, I don't know! Smile

I've got a question about Hataraki Man. The databases I've checked say that it's still publishing, but Amazon Japan only has up to volume 4 (which was released way back in '07). Is the series on hiatus or something?

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
can I ask why kodansha pulled the titles tokyopop had if they wernt planning on continuing them? I mean i know it wouldnt have made much difference considering that tokyopop was piloted into a flaming garbage pile a little while later but It just seems odd to yank titles like that.

Did they see tokyopops fate coming and decide to just bail then and there?
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
I really wouldn't know the particulars of that, nor do I think I'd be allowed to speak about them if I did know. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Moyocco Anno was on hiatus for awhile and it doesn't seem like she has started work on Hataraki Man again. This seems to be the most current news about it and it's from 2009: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-24/sugar-sugar-rune-anno-back-at-work-after-18-months

I wouldn't mind seeing that one over here either, though at this point in time I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'll just carry on assuming its some kind of trolling then lol

May be worth giving some older titles another crack in the future though, from what i can tell there are alot more ladies about buying manga now than i noticed way back when so tastes will have changed a bit.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Akira (unflipped)

It's a manga classic, one of the greatest of all time, and has received praise around the world. It's a total shame that it's only published in a flipped format, in a day and age where NO manga are published with this outdated practice. We need the true Akira here. You guys already have it, and have been publishing it. Why not do an unflipped re-release?

Other Takeuchi titles would be awesome.

Quote:
...There are lots of little girls out there who love Tokyo Mew Mew (I was one of them).

I'm a fan of Tokyo Mew Mew too. While it's already published by KCUSA in full, I'm just giving the title my enthusiasm. Smile I'd LOVE for the anime to return to the states after 4Kids handled the property horribly (Tom Wayland, the voice director, told me himself that the show got great ratings on 4Kids TV, but couldn't get a merchandising deal, and 4Kids passed on the last 26 episodes as a result). I still fondly remember the show from years back, and would love to own it.

Saint Tail would be great. It's older, but it's not long. It's well known too. Maybe an omnibus release? That seemed to work out for TMM.

Princess Jellyfish is getting a lot of buzz. That would be a great title.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
from what i can tell there are alot more ladies about buying manga now than i noticed way back when so tastes will have changed a bit.

I don't know if it's so much that more ladies are buying titles as that the girls who bought shoujo in its US heyday are now adults who'd like to read manga in our own demographic. (It's my pet theory, so I could be wrong.) I still really enjoy shoujo, but with high school ten years behind me, I'd like to read about women who are at least in college, if not the workforce. (Or a combination, like Miki Aihara's new(ish) series From 5 to 9. I'd love to see that in English, but since it's Shogakukan, I'm guessing this isn't the place to request it Wink )

Personally I'd love to see anything else by Yayoi Ogawa (Tramps Like Us) or Megumi Tachikawa (St. Tail), and I also like the idea of seeing some of Naoko Takeuchi's other works translated into English, particularly Miss Rain. Da! Da! Da! by Mika Kawamura is another I'd like to see - it's far better than Panic X Panic, in my opinion, and it should appeal to fans of Aishiteruze Baby.

And of course Princess Jellyfish. That's a no-brainer right now, huh? Very Happy
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette: Thanks for the news source, but yeah, don't think I'll be suggesting that one. ._. Maybe once she's finished the series.

RAmmsoldat wrote:
I'll just carry on assuming its some kind of trolling then lol

...I can assure you, whatever really happened, it was not a case of "trolling." Businesses make business decisions for various real reasons, not just because they're "feeling mean today" or something. Laughing

(I would like more stories with women in the workplace, too. Butterflies, Flowers was hilarious, but I think half the fun was the novelty of it; we don't usually see stories like that over here.)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
aye i know the score still sucks sometimes though, what sells isnt necessarily whats good

as for shoujo i like a bit of it mahself, Honey and clover is one of my all time favorite manga
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
I've got a question about Hataraki Man. The databases I've checked say that it's still publishing, but Amazon Japan only has up to volume 4 (which was released way back in '07). Is the series on hiatus or something?

As her current North American publisher, I can confirm that the series is on indefinite hiatus. Ms Anno has stated publicly that she has no plans set to continue the series at this time. However, Kodansha Japan and Vertical do hope that she will return to the series at some point.

Personally, I can't wait to release more Moyoco. And I don't think fans will have to wait too long for more. But that talk is for another thread.
Wink
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru

Isn't that a Kodansha title in Japan or am I getting companies mixed up?

I would love If someone finished Nodame Cantabile, but I think it was a poor seller so it will probably never happen. Sad

Space Brothers is also high up on my want list.

Edit: I just read through that the thread that Chihayafuru is too estoric? Um what. I honestly think publishers are too short sighted. They license all these junky manga titles but they can't license something with a well regarded anime adaption. Huh?

On another popular anime board I frequent Chihayafuru is being voted best series of the year (and it is not just female voters)

Esoteric? Maybe publishers should have more faith in their readers. The series is not that hard to understand. (please note: I know the person who started the thread is not saying this but people at Kodansha)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see sports manga is off the consideration list... But, to be honest, I would have just requested Hajime no Ippo (too long) & Ashita no Joe (no classics) anyway.

Regardless, here are some Kodansha manga I wouldn't mind seeing brought over:
-Buraiden Gai and/or Tobaku Haouden/Gambling Emperor Zero and/or Kaiji: As Ed Chavez can attest to, I would love to see a Nobuyuki Fukumoto manga brought over at least once. Yeah, his artwork can be rough & not "pretty" (hell, Fukumoto himself says it sucks), but the stories this man creates are simply amazing & psychological. Even his two Weekly Shonen Magazine entries, Gai & Zero, are well worth reading, and these two aren't even that long: Buraiden Gai, about a boy who is framed for murder and is trying to clear his name, is only 5 volumes long & Zero, about a robin hood-style boy who gets involved in a crazy rich man's series of gambling games, is only 8 volumes, with the sequel (Zero: Gyanki-hen) currently running at 6-7 volumes so far.

Then there's Kaiji, which technically is over 20 volumes in total, but each entry in the series has been 13 volumes long (Part 4 is presently at 9 volumes), so you could first try out Part 1 and if it sells well enough you could continue. Anyway, Kaiji is about a no-good bum who wants money but is horrible at getting any. One day a loan shark comes to Kaiji & reveals that since he was the co-signer to a random loan he agreed to, & the other signer is nowhere to be found, Kaiji must now pay the loan back, with interest that is absolutely ridiculous! Essentially, Kaiji is the continuing adventure of Kaiji going into dangerous game after dangerous game, all in an effort to finally be free from debt. While Gai & Zero are excellent titles, Kaiji is one of Fukumoto's absolute best, right behind mahjong title Akagi.

-Seizon -LIFE-: This is another Fukumoto title, but this time the artwork is done by Kaiji Kawaguchi, creator of titles like Eagle & Zipang. This is the story of a man named Takeda whose wife died from cancer, he's been diagnosed with cancer himself, & his daughter has been missing for 15 years. One day he attempts suicide, only to be interrupted with news that his daughter has been found... Dead via homicide. Takeda decides to spend whatever is left of his life looking for the truth behind his daughter's disapperance & death. While I haven't read this myself, I have lots of praise for it & the fact that both Fukumoto & Kawaguchi are known for doing interesting psychological stories only makes me even more interested. The two had another co-production, called Kokuhaku/Confession, which is a one-volume story about a pair of mountain climbers that take refuge in a log cabin after getting caught in a giant snowstorm, & the dark past behind one of the climbers threatens the safety of both of them.

-Blame Academy! And So On: While I would love to see a re-print of Blame!, for now I'll stick with simply more Blame!-related material. This one-volume release is a compilation of Tsutomu Nihei shorts, such as Blame Academy!, Blame! NSE: Netsphere Engineer (the actual sequel to Blame!), Blame!², & other shorts not related to Blame!. As a big fan of Blame! when TokyoPop released all of it, I would love to see more of it released.

-Tsurebito/Companion: Aside from Fukumoto, the only other mangaka I would love to see brought over to North America is Akihito Yoshitomi; yeah, Viz released two volumes of Eat-Man, but that's nothing compared to that manga's 19 volumes. Anyway, Tsurebito was Yoshitomi's manga for the now-defunct Magazine Z, and it's about people, called companions, who help the recently-deceased travel from purgatory to the land of the dead, and specifically it's about a girl who doesn't want to leave after death, so she's willing to become a companion, even though it's a harsh & sad existence. Yoshitomi's artwork, especially his environments, are simply amazing, and at only four volumes it's not even all that long.

Yeah, I'd say that these titles are pretty much my most-wanted Kodansha manga licenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9