• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Visual Novel in HTML

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:

Therefore, I'm gladly going to check out the stuff here. Thank you for that link. Would you like me to let you know if there's anything particularly interesting?

You're welcome. As to your question, sure. I've become quite interested in visual novels in general lately, and have been trying to check out some of the good ones, so I'm always happy to hear about an interesting VN, web based or not.
Correl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
You might want to take a look at www.mspaintadventures.com. It works very much like a visual novel. It even has a save and load feature. About 95% of the pages are pure html. There are a few pages that are games or videos that are flash, but you could probably replace those with <canvas> or <video> tags, if you don't care about older browsers.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Creating a VN in "pure" HTML would be a very tedious task. Not only would one have to ensure there are no errors in the links, but also keep track of all the possible progressions a user may take.

I wouldn't recommend a "pure" HTML approach, but instead, one which combines JavaScript/Server side programming (ASP.NET, PHP) and Cascading Style Sheets (css).

With the combined elements, Flash won't be necessary. It will still take some work, but with programming, images can be (pre)loaded and everything can stay on a single page, changing only the text within divs (which can be hidden).

Though, the very reason you don't see VNs in web format is because it would be very easy to copy the source(s) and distribute them, and some people just don't like that sort of thing.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
If you know, or want to learn and leverage, ASP.NET's powerful capabilities, I recommend looking into Silverlight. It is a client-side browser technology that sends and retrieves data through web services with on-demand content loading via (what are essentially) zip (compressed) files. Similar to Flash, but you leverage the power of the .NET framework.

It's a powerful platform, but it does have a bit of a learning curve.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey there Mad_Scientist. I'm sorry this took so long for me to reply to, but I hope this won't be taken as a necropost. It took me a while to play through all of those games of course. I was also away from Anime News Network for a period of time. It turns out you were right, and many of those were really flash or JS based. Ones in English turned out to be rather strange, like the apparently UK (?) development called Thousand Dollar Soul.

On the other hand, if you can take the dirty content and Japanese text, games like Thief and Sword: Another Stories are seemingly more conventional visual novels. Once again, though, if you explore the Japanese language ones...be weary of the dirt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2