• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Webcomics

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Argh, for some reason I had a brain hiccup and left Anime News Nina out of the list of webcomics I read regularly. So I'm posting to let you know the results for that should be 1 higher than they are.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could specify Rob for Cyanide and Happiness, but I read the others too.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I only follow two webcomics regularly; xkcd and Anime News Nina. I'm very happy to see the two of them be so popular.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Should I only enter one title in the "Other" category? (since it says they will be added to the list, I don't know if I can just separate them with commas.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I only follow two webcomics regularly; xkcd and Anime News Nina. I'm very happy to see the two of them be so popular.

Hah, I'm the exact same. I enjoy Nina for poking fun at anime tropes and I enjoy xkcd because I love programming, math, and sarcasm.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
xkcd is my and several friend's favorites, but I do really like Homestuck/MSPA, Oglaf, Shortpacked, and Gunnerkrigg Court, which coincidentally are the ones I am usually up to date on.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually read a lot of webcomics, but when I remember they only take a few seconds to read, it's not that bad. Here's the ones that weren't included for me:

Awkward Zombie
Between Failures
Sticky Dilly Buns
Ménage à 3 (I added this one since it's my favorite)
Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (surprised it wasn't listed since it co-stars a Pokemon trainer)
Rare Candy Treatment (another surprise this didn't make it since it's based on Pokemon)
Courting Disaster
Mistakes of Youth (yet another surprise since it's about an anime fan)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see MSPaintAdventures and Penny Arcade in the mix. Another set of webcomics I enjoy reading from time to time is A Softer World, Miamaska, Boxer Hockey, Cucumber Quest, Alien Loves Predator, Moonsticks, Girly(Completed), Starfighters, and TeaHouse.
HandGrave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Probably the exception here but I read a ton of comics in general and Webcomics are a great way to find new artists. I prefer long story and the first that come to mind are Digger by Ursula Vernon and Cucumber Quest by Gigi DG.

Digger exemplifies the best use of webcomics as a quick and easy way to get a story that couldn't get published out there to the masses, and then go on to win awards and sell.

Cucumber Quest is honestly the prettiest thing you'll ever see, unless you transferred Gigi's artwork onto a cake.

Honorable mentions:

Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant
Warrior U
Ellie on Planet X
JL8
Unsounded
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
HandGrave wrote:

Cucumber Quest is honestly the prettiest thing you'll ever see, unless you transferred Gigi's artwork onto a cake.

Totally agree about her art. Not to mention, her other comics are pretty funny to boot also.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Don't know how Dumbing of Age was there but Shortpacked! wasn't. They're both active and by the same guy. Unrelated, The Non-Adventures of Wonderella should be there, too. And Whomp!.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sure if I should include Schlock Mercenary or not, since I don't read it on a daily basis. Most of the time I'm reading the compilation that's made available around Hugo voting time.

The comic I read the most avidly online, which I would have selected as my favorite if it were an option, is Safe Havens. It got kicked out of my local paper years and years ago. I read it at a Web site for another newspaper for a while, and then it vanished from there. I'm not sure how many papers still carry it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HandGrave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe I forgot to mention Sakana by Madeline Rupert.

Rupert's expressions and playfulness with the comic format goes hand-in-hand with her story.

Definitely recommend this one.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I also have a list of web comics I read but didn't show up in the list:
Axe Cop (The one I added to other)
Ectopiary
Johnny Wander
Kawaii Not
Manley Guys Doing Manly Things
Order of the Stick
Romantically Apocalyptic
StupidFox
Super Effective
The Trenches
Starfighter
Tea House
Yaoi 911 Webcomics

I understand there are so many you can't add them all yourself but more then one "other" would have been nice.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading for about the past nine years, so I GOT OPINIONS. I also suspect I read too many since I check 40+ at least once a month, and many of those multiple times a week. I noticed even though Gunnerkrigg Court was listed as an option in the "which do you read" field, it's not shown in the "favorites". So it was hard, but I picked Xkcd from my remainders (although currently my top pick is Unsounded by Ashley Cope- so amazing).

I thought Digger was really good too, but since that's actually concluded (a rarity) maybe it's not eligible? Cucumber Quest's art is interesting, normally that style just grates on my senses, but I love the sense of humor in it, rather subtle. There's literally thousands of webcomics out there, though you might have to trudge through/into a few (<6-7) awful or mediocre ones to get to the quality productions.
Quote:
I understand there are so many you can't add them all yourself but more then one "other" would have been nice.

I didn't even see that option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3