• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloonnee2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
I'm looking for a series (manga/anime) that has the following.

Genres: Romance, Comedy, Harem (optional), Ecchi (optional)
Character types: Having at least 1 tsundere
Looks of characters: Having at least 1 twin-tailed girl~

I've been through Chunnibyou Demo Koi Ga Shita, Mayo Chiki and liked both ^^. Hopefully the peeps here can recommend me somemore Very Happy
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
Are you familiar with Toradora at all? The main girl is a tsundere and I think one of the side characters has pigtails. It's mostly known as an anime but the manga version is pretty solid as well.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
lloonnee2 wrote:
Looks of characters: Having at least 1 twin-tailed girl

My personal favorite would be School Rumble. For me it is always funny and usually hilarious. The comedy is definitely more prominent than the romance, but there are some interesting relationships developing, or trying to.
I think that Eri Sawachika qualifies as tsundere, and she has twin-tails.
It is not harem or ecchi though.
Unfortunately School Rumble was being published in North America by Del Rey and it was never finished. It has been long enough now that there does not seem to be much chance that Kodansha will finish it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
lloonnee2 wrote:
Looks of characters: Having at least 1 twin-tailed girl

My personal favorite would be School Rumble. For me it is always funny and usually hilarious. The comedy is definitely more prominent than the romance, but there are some interesting relationships developing, or trying to.
It is not harem or ecchi though.
Unfortunately School Rumble was being published in North America by Del Rey and it was never finished. It has been long enough now that there does not seem to be much chance that Kodansha will finish it.

Kodansha USA probably won't be finishing it, unfortunately, but regular Kodansha will be continuing it at JManga, and they currently have all 16 previously-released volumes available there.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
Kodansha USA probably won't be finishing it, unfortunately, but regular Kodansha will be continuing it at JManga, and they currently have all 16 previously-released volumes available there.

Thank you for that information about School Rumble.
I am not going to assume yet that Kodansha will go to the expense of finishing the last six volumes. It might depend on how successful JManga is in general. But I really hope that they do finish the series.
I would definitely prefer books, but I will buy it in digital format just so that I can continue reading. Volume 16 ended at a very bad place, and I really want to know what Eri is going to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
BonnKansan wrote:

Thank you for that information about School Rumble.
I am not going to assume yet that Kodansha will go to the expense of finishing the last six volumes. It might depend on how successful JManga is in general. But I really hope that they do finish the series.
I would definitely prefer books, but I will buy it in digital format just so that I can continue reading. Volume 16 ended at a very bad place, and I really want to know what Eri is going to do.

They announced soon after listing Kodansha series that they plan to finish all the ones that were put up there, so it's safe to assume they'll each get at least one more volume (and you'll get to see what Eri does next Smile )
lloonnee2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 am Post subject:
Are you familiar with Toradora at all? The main girl is a tsundere and I think one of the side characters has pigtails. It's mostly known as an anime but the manga version is pretty solid as well.

I've sparingly heard of it, but I wouldn't say I'm familiar with it. Still, I'll check it out~

Quote:

Noted too!

So two anime/manga series (Toradora and School Rumble), any other recommendations?[/quote]
timmy7596

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
lloonnee2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Just as a heads up: My question still stands Very Happy
Original post:
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:06 am Post subject: Looking for recommendations
I'm looking for a series (manga/anime) that has the following.

Looks of characters: Having at least 1 twin-tailed girl~

I've been through Chunnibyou Demo Koi Ga Shita, Mayo Chiki and liked both ^^. Hopefully the peeps here can recommend me somemore Very Happy

To add to that list, I've watched Toradora! that was recommended to me, and I liked it quite a lot. Just left School Rumble to see, but I was hoping that I could get more recommendations fitting the above ^ description. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (Pet Girl Of Sakura Hall) was not bad too, I wouldn't mind an anime like that either.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Dude, just check TV Tropes? They have a page for Tsunderes and a page for pigtails. If you're feeling really adventurous, cross-reference the lists to get a master list of series that include both.
lloonnee2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dude, just check TV Tropes? They have a page for Tsunderes and a page for pigtails. If you're feeling really adventurous, cross-reference the lists to get a master list of series that include both.

I'm familiar with TvTropes, and I did read up on both pages that you mentioned (although this happened before I was looking for an anime that fitted both criterias)
So me being lazy, I thought it would be quicker to just ask around on an Internet forum Very Happy

Still, I guess I'll do that if I'm really desperate to find one.

Also, my thanks to Touma for recommending to me School Rumble!. I really like this anime, probably more than Toradora!, but it's hard to compare both of them. The interactions between the characters in School Rumble are fairly natural to me, and I don't find myself checking off the plot points in the 'Typical Romantic Arc' that Tv Tropes has because there isn't really much development of a relationship between any single boy or girl. The disadvantage of having such a large cast is that it takes time to remember who's liking who, but once I remembered that (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4nofZUWFvS0/TIsXQgqzMGI/AAAAAAAAABY/U1ATVN2JQ-Q/s1600/%5BEFCPO%5DSchool_Rumble_RChart%5Beng%5D.jpg was quite helpful in summarizing all the flying flirts Razz), the series became much more enjoyable.
I'm not surprised at the popularity of the anime, and I think I'll read the manga after I've finished the whole anime and all OVA's, due to being interested in the story that doesn't wrap up with 'Boy ends up with ____ girl, there you go.'

@Mod: I guess this is off-topic and could belong in a PM, so my bad :X
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
Anyone read Übel Blatt? the artwork looks good and im curious if anyone has read it and what they think of it.
Ensof

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I only read the first volume of Übel Blatt, and it was a fair few years ago now, but from what I remember it wasn't up to much. It shamelessly ripped off Berserk and the plot was a mess. It was (and still is) very popular in scanlation-land though, so maybe I was just having a bad day.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
Since I view fiction as a way to escape the terrors of the regular world, I really love the magic of gentle fantasy series. I was a huge fan of Mary Norton's The Borrowers series, as I've said several times before, so naturally I adored The Secret World of Arrietty. I adored Kozue Amano's Aria and Aqua. I've loved most of the manga that Miyazaki put out as well, like the ani-manga of Ghibli films and the Nausicaa manga he drew.

I'm not looking for something with gritty realism or social commentary. I want something that would really feel magical.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
@vashna:

I'll recommend Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro. It is a little darker and more melancholy than Aria/Aqua, but as a fairy tale it does a pretty good job establishing a believable fantasy setting and the tone is for the most part quite gentle. Like Aria, there's also a sense of whimsy ever-present as well. For me, the art of Satoko Kiyuduki and the 4-panel format was a big plus also.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 33