• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
^ I didn't get the last one, and decided not to get this one either. If they have it again I'll probably go for it, depending on what 30 DVDs trilaan gets.

As for what I'm now considering buying, I am looking at Korean Live-Action or animated movies. We have a Korean patient in the long-term stay ward who doesn't speak a word of English and the poor guy is bored out of his mind. After some searching around the hospital library the only thing in Korean I found was a map of the city Neutral He probably thought I was making fun of him when I gave it to him.... Sad So I'm going to get a couple Korean movies with english subs. Lucky for me RightStuf has a section of Korean stuff. I don't know what I'm looking for, but whatever I get has to be better than nothing.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
@Tris and publicenemy

I got one of those grab bag deals before from CR and it wasn't really worth it IMO. I ended up just getting some random ADV and Geneon singles from TRSI (TRSI is where the set will come from). I ended up trading all of them in for a gift card from amazon. Can't say if the other ones were disappointments but yea after what happened with me, I really have no interesting in going after the mysterious deals again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Probably going to import the Baccano! and Bakemonogatari soundtracks from CD Japan. I've been meaning to pick up the Baccano! soundtrack for some time, and I adore the music in Bakemonogatari.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
So I got in a little fender bender and was holding off till I knew for sure I wasn't going to have to pay anything to start buying again. So I really can't decide. Been looking at :
Majikoi ~ Oh! Samurai Girls
Corpse Princess
Claymore
Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens
Okami-san and Her Seven Companions
And Yet the Town Moves

Any opinions on these titles?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth:

Majikoi ~ Oh! Samurai Girls - just couldn't get into the "humour" of this one. And I like fanservice so I certainly wasn't put off by that.

Corpse Princess - a lot of people seem meh on this one, but I loved it. I watched it early on in my anime career so I'll be interested to see if it holds up for me.

Claymore - love this one. Kick ass female warriors do it for me.

Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens - own it, but haven't watched it yet.

Okami-san and Her Seven Companions - meh. It's okay but I wouldn't walk a mile out of my way to see it.

And Yet the Town Moves Complete Collection - quirky. You'll either like it or hate it. I liked it.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I heard the fanservice in "Oh! Samurai Girls" was very yuri in nature. True or not? Probably won't satisfy a yuri fan but its a factor. There's something about each thats making it hard to choose between them. I can get the two parts of Corpse princess for $18 at right stuff. I can get the blu-ray of Claymore cheaper than the dvd set. And I know Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens will be going OOP soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I vaguely remember one chick who had a crush on another in Oh! Samurai Girls but I bailed after about three eppies so I'm not the best person to ask.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
the two antagonists in Majikoi are a lesbian couple. Everyone else wants Yamato's big magnum
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
With all wants and desire equal and an emphasis on priority, Kannagi should be a definite "get now" since, like you said, it'll be gone soon. Also, the LE for Okami-san won't last forever. Now, if you don't want the LE then you can pass on it since it still has several release cycles to go through.

Everything else will be around for a while, so there's no rush and you can chip away at them later. If it were me, my priorities would be:

GET ASAP
Kannagi
Okami-san LE (Funi sale ends tomorrow)

NO RUSH
Corpse Princess
Majikoi
Claymore
And Yet the Town Moves

Then again, in my world, Sentai stuff has -1 priority, LE has +2 and OOP has +1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Don't care much for LE's unless I know I will like it. I might pick it up when the regular box sets.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Kannagi is a Bandai title so I'd buy that one first if I were you. I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard good things about it and I fully intend to get it myself when I can.

The only ones that are on your list that I've seen are And Yet The Town Moves and Claymore and I can definitely recommend those. I thought that And Yet The Town Moves was very funny (but like Blood- says, you'll either love it or hate it) and Claymore is simply awesome.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen any of the referenced shows to completion, but I've seen a couple of eps of Kannagi and it looks good (I already own a copy), since it's a Bandai show I would agree that you don't want to wait too long to get a copy. I also own Claymore which also looks like a good show based on what I've seen, but there's no real urgency on that one. The other one I own is Corpse Princess which I only bought because FUNimation was blowing out some half-season sets on their website and I wanted to get free shipping. Based on the episodes I saw, it may have some entertainment value if you turn your brain off and just enjoy the violence and fan service. I would definitely recommend checking a few episodes out before buying (it's being streamed here on ANN).

I have seen a couple of episodes of Okami-san and it looks like it could be a decent show. The only way I would go for the LE is if Amazon has it at a really crazy price (which sometimes happens); since it's a 1-cour show the savings from waiting for a standard release may not be that high. I am not really impressed with their LE sets (and for 2-cour shows it's just too expensive for me, knowing I can save a lot by waiting for an all-in-one set).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm presently considering indulging in an extravagance. The leading contenders are the classic hookers and blow (with an allowance for corpse disposal... I won't say whose), going to a classy strip joint to really make it rain and the Puella Magi Madoka Magica limited edition sets, which are were limited that they're still on sale a year after they were released. (Man, I bet anybody who bought speculative copies of them is feeling like a real jive sucker)

I'm confident that I will enjoy the series. All of the right people like it and I have enjoyed the five episodes that I've seen.

What I'm uncertain about is whether the release merits it. Are the boxes attractive and made of high quality material? Are the included supplementary materials interesting, insightful and well-produced? Does the sound track merit listening more than couple of times?

Is there anything interesting about the f**king stickers I mean... it's just sticker, but for $75 a set at a discount, maybe they're special.

So, Puella Magi Skidda Marinky dinky dink, skidda marinky doo all gussied up and ready for a night on the shelf, worth it for me?
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
The art box is semi-flimsy, and is no where near chipboard quality. It does have a soft feel that definitely feels like a premium release, but it's quite delicate. The stickers are simple stickers. The soundtrack is an interesting listen, but unless you dig heavy celtic influence, you may not find it so involving. Each soundtrack is approximately a half hour long, perhaps a couple of minutes less.

I hope that helped!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
I wish people would stop saying flimsy, like as if they're cheaply made, because they aren't. No, they aren't chipboard, but they're still well put together, have a velvet feel, and gold embroidering. They also come with 12 high quality art cards that use the end cards for each episode. If you've ever looked at my collection, they're what I use as backgrounds for my Madoka figures. The CDs together have, according to my Itunes, 38 songs for a runtime of 1.4 hours. I like listening to it every once and while because none of the songs have words, which means you can just listen to them while relaxing. Of course, that means you don't get the OP or ED, but the soundtracks are still fabulous. You also get 6 double sided posters. Oh, and while the stickers aren't special, they'd make awesome bumper stickers; especially the Kyuubey eyes.

However, knowing you, I think the extra that'll most interest you are the production booklets. The first one has an interview with Shinbo and ones for Aoi Yuki (character designer) and Madoka's JP VA. The second one has a part one of a conversation between Shinbo and Urobochi and interviews with Kyoko and Sayaka's JP VA. The third one has parts 2 and 3 of the conversation and interviews with Mami and Kyuubey's JP VAs. And all of them have episode synopsis, episode staff, key art, unused cover art, InuCurry (the people who did the labyrinths) drawings, and a couple cute manga strips form Aoi Yuki.

Getting the LEs were a no-brainer for me, $225 or not. However, I'm also a huge fan of the show and a collector extraordinaire. You, on the other hand, haven't even finished the show and have never struck me as the hardcore collector-type, so this is something you should really think about. At the very least you should finish the show. I mean, you don't have to regrets about springing $225 so you could have "coasters" and "useless paper" (CDs and extras).

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 89 of 132