• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Pokémon Adventures: HeartGold SoulSilver Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
Hmm, good to hear. Interesting to note that it'll be $10 MSRP, rather than the $8 that is the VizKids standard for normal-sized manga.

The news isn't considered too surprising at this point, as Viz decided to release the Ruby/Sapphire manga after all, with the appearance of this solicitation. The Ruby/Sappire manga release - which Viz is labeling as Pokemon Adventures Vol. 15 - is also noteworthy given how Viz initially had no plans to release any manga material between Gold/Silver and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

With the R/S solicitation, one could surmise that the rest would be coming in due time. And of all of their existing titles that have had their release altered in some fashion, Pokemon had the best chance of "coming back," as I imagine it having more sales potential than say, Bastard!!. (RIP)

In any case, I can't wait to read more Pokemon Adventures. I've had a great time reading them.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
That said, they could be REALLY dumb and release Volume 1 of HG/SS as volume 15 and get everyone cheesed off.

Viz are REALLY good at doing that.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
That said, they could be REALLY dumb and release Volume 1 of HG/SS as volume 15 and get everyone cheesed off.

Um, no. If you see the link about, Amazon's pic CLEARLY shows R/S on the cover. Plus Amazon lists HS/SS as a separate listing...

Surprised this article didn't note vol 15's continuation, or that B/W is finally getting a tankouban form and not the mini ones, or the fact that the Keldeo movie manga adaptation is coming out too...
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

Referring to the link in the first post, they haven't, and could not do so at this point. Here's this too: a proper release (tankoban) of the first Black and White arc beginning in July, for those waiting for the them. What's interesting too is that they're releasing volumes 9, 10, and 11 in the same timeframe as one from each Diamond, Pearl and Platinum and HeartGold and SoulSilver (this one).

Sheleigha wrote:
Surprised this article didn't note vol 15's continuation, or that B/W is finally getting a tankouban form and not the mini ones, or the fact that the Keldeo movie manga adaptation is coming out too...

Black and White isn't relevant, the upcoming mini-ban or tankoban, to HeartGold and SoulSilver. That movie manga isn't canon to the games, whereas these manga are, making it quite irrelevant.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
OMG YAAAAAAAAAY!
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Black and White isn't relevant, the upcoming mini-ban or tankoban, to HeartGold and SoulSilver. That movie manga isn't canon to the games, whereas these manga are, making it quite irrelevant.

They're releasing a buttload of Pokemon manga. How is that not relevant to a Pokemon manga announcement?

Also, Adventures is about as canon to the games as the anime is. Its takes a crazy amount of liberties with the characters to the point where it's definitely it's own universe. Not complaining AT ALL because I love the series, but just wanted to point that out.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah! It's weird though they skipped FireRedLeafGreen and Emerald .
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Hmm, good to hear. Interesting to note that it'll be $10 MSRP, rather than the $8 that is the VizKids standard for normal-sized manga.

The news isn't considered too surprising at this point, as Viz decided to release the Ruby/Sapphire manga after all, with the appearance of this solicitation. The Ruby/Sappire manga release - which Viz is labeling as Pokemon Adventures Vol. 15 - is also noteworthy given how Viz initially had no plans to release any manga material between Gold/Silver and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

With the R/S solicitation, one could surmise that the rest would be coming in due time. And of all of their existing titles that have had their release altered in some fashion, Pokemon had the best chance of "coming back," as I imagine it having more sales potential than say, Bastard!!. (RIP)

In any case, I can't wait to read more Pokemon Adventures. I've had a great time reading them.

Viz is finally releasing R/S? Thank goodness, I've been waiting years for that.

As for the Keldeo manga, I'll check that out too.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see their release schedule for the Pokemon manga. If Ruby and Sapphire are indeed coming out, then it may be followed by FRLG and Emerald. Then shouldn't HGSS follow all that story-wise?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
well this is an instant buy for me, simply put pokemon manga>pokemon anime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

They're releasing a buttload of Pokemon manga. How is that not relevant to a Pokemon manga announcement?

Also, Adventures is about as canon to the games as the anime is. Its takes a crazy amount of liberties with the characters to the point where it's definitely it's own universe. Not complaining AT ALL because I love the series, but just wanted to point that out.

Reread my post.

sainta wrote:
Yeah! It's weird though they skipped FireRedLeafGreen and Emerald .

They've not. They've even adjusted the release schedule on the Viz Kids website, with one release every two months from volume 15 onward all the way up to volume 29 in July 2015.
Adv193

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Well I have seen the first cover for R/S for the Viz release on Bulbapedia's Vol 15 page. Also I am happy that the Viz is finally releasing more series so I plan to get them as soon as possible.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I've heard the pokemon manga is pretty good.
holanio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
This makes me so happy. Now I can buy the rest of the series without qualms. =] I looove Ruby and Sapphire.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Uh, Special is not canon to the games at all. It outright contradicts many things established in the games. It's pretty blatantly unlike the games and goes off it's own little world pretty much from the start.

vangelionite88 wrote:
I've heard the pokemon manga is pretty good.

Which one? There's over 20 different manga series at this point and time by various authors and artists. None of them sell that well though and aren't really that highly regarded compared to the games or anime and tend to get cancelled early on. I'd say Kaitou Pokemon 7 and Re:BURST were the most creative/interesting series, but I think I'd still rather watch the anime over read them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2