• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index DVD 1 & 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed Index a lot more than I thought it would. And while I agree with the negatives, this show is based off a novel series, which would explain why it got so wordy part of the time.

Index II isn't quite as good, IMO.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
A Certain Magical Index is one of those series that have passed me by. Never watched it back in the day and have no interest in checking it out now. I've watched a couple of episodes of A Certain Scientific Railgun, but that's about it. Maybe my lack of interest stems from how the franchise looks like a huge mess of powers - both psychic and magical ones - and how it's a Harem show. It just seems like and extremely generic (if popular) Light Novel Anime adaptation of an equally generic Light Novel, and so I'm left wondering why I should watch this at all.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Spot on review, especially with the letter grades. Although I wouldn't call it a 'ultimate rollercoaster ride', more like one of those cheap county fair rides that make you puke afterwards. There many problems with Index, from all those listed to the fact that the title character is basically written out of the show when they decide to make it a harem franchise, but my biggest complaint is that the plotlines make no f$&^ing sense. For example, the Accelerator battle. The hero says, 'If I, a level zero, beat Accelerator in mortal kombat, spoiler[the grown ups will decide the experiment is a failure and release the clones in the wild, to live normal lives.]' And he goes and does that, and behold, it comes to pass --except if you can rub two brain cells together, you'd realize there is no way that would happen. First, even in super future land, spoiler[clones] can't be cheap, or we'd see more of them. So these scientists threw away a several million dollar experiment after one unanticipated outlier. Secondly, scientists want to see results that don't meet expectations. The hero beating Accelerator would be a exciting for them, because it would mean that they've discovered something new and unexpected. And finally, even if they decide to cancel the experiment and lose their grant money, they spoiler[wouldn't just release the clones]. There has to be a dozen other experiments they could be used in. No, what happened is the author wrote the ending he wanted, and then pulled the causes out of his ass. And I can't forgive bad writing like that. It's juvenile, and like the rest of this franchise, a complete waste of time

It is frustrating to see them spend so much time explaining how complexly this world works when so much of the explanation falls apart under basic logic.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Really don't know how anyone can call season one of A Certain Magical Index a harem anime. Haven't seen season two, so I won't speak of that one.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
It is frustrating to see them spend so much time explaining how complexly this world works when so much of the explanation falls apart under basic logic.

Its a common problem with LN writers. Their ambition far outreaches their actual capabilities.

Now, Kamachi Kazuma's definitely better than, for example, Kawahara Reki, but he's definitely no Kawakami Minoru.

Also I'm amused that all three of them have family names beginning with "ka"
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Another series whose popularity far exceeds its quality.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I can just smell the pissed off fanboys a mile away. "No, you're supposed to LIKE IT!!!"

I agree with the review. Which is why I ain't touching this series unless I see sets below $20. FULL sets, not half sets.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Here I went and typed out a nicely sized bit about this review and series and I get error 50'd.

In short, I agree with the review and while I enjoy index as a whole(novels and all) I do accept that its neither that special nor that superbly put together. Its m guilty pleasure thats more pleasure than guilt and I stand by that.

now lets hope this post gets through....

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
I agree with the review. Which is why I ain't touching this series unless I see sets below $20. FULL sets, not half sets.

[DISCLAIMER: I am neutral to A Certain Magical Index because I have not watched it. I am not trying to argue in favor or against it]

I find it funny that an apparent undesirable series, like Index, is not worth touching if it costs more than $20. But does this mean that when FUNi start selling the complete season of A Certain Magical Index at $20 or less, it will somehow become good and desirable?

What I am trying to say is: if you consider an anime crappy to begin, why would it be worth having all of the sudden when it is in the bargain bin?

Personally, if I were offered 20 complete series, that I considered undesirable, for $50, I would not buy them them because I do not collect garbage just for the sake of owning a lot of anime.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I was actually considering buying this. I know I shouldnt let critics completely control what I watch or my opinions, but ANN seems to have been good to me for the most part for as long as I've been reading. I'll rent this first just in case.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
@angelmcazares

The reviews says average, the person in question agrees with it. I've seen the series, it's not bad but it's not consistant and I agree, a full set at a cheaper price is worth it or rather, is all it's worth.

You haven't seen it but you're the one grading it "undesirable" and "garbage"

And Index isn't a harem, it barely registers as a love triangle.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Another series whose popularity far exceeds its quality.

Hm, with most of the blogs I've browsed around basically bashing the series into the dirt, I was pretty much surpised there even WAS a stable fanbase to begin with...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

I am interpreting what the other person implied about the quality of Index. I also forgot that I am not allowed to have a f-ing opinion unless I watch all the anime I refer to.

And I am not the one saying anything about Index being a harem; I do not even know the series.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Index was Sword Art Online before Sword Art Online (discounting when the novels date from, talking purely anime adaptions here)

Widely liked among the...we'll call it "casual" fans, widely derided by a large number of blogs and other...err...well you get my point.

I will say that Index is significantly less terrible than SAO.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed Index quite alot.

I can understand that season 1 is still basically "setting up the plot." This is why I hope season 2 gets licensed since I know it'll be far better than season 1.

In terms of quality, I rather take stuff like Index from Funimation than the fanservice ecchi crap they like to license most of the time. This is why I bought it when it first came out despite never seeing it because I want Funimation to know that there are still people here who enjoy these type of shows instead of panty shots and bouncing boobs.

Shana kinda falls flat for me and I got bored with it, but I like Index mostly because it has interesting characters and a somewhat interesting storyline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5