• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls & Panzer's 'Survival War' Video Anime Digest Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
looks fun
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
25 thousand units here we come. I hope the publisher asked for that many this time, I don't want to see volume 2 sell out at 13k and then periodically jump back up with 3k like volume 1 is doing. I hope they learned better.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
25 thousand units here we come. I hope the publisher asked for that many this time, I don't want to see volume 2 sell out at 13k and then periodically jump back up with 3k like volume 1 is doing. I hope they learned better.

I think that was the main reason it was delayed a month, so they have no excuse to not have the shortages fixed now.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Just a semi-related random musing of mine, but am I the only one who finds the ridiculous translations of Senshado absolutely hilarious? The next time I translate something, I'm going to call Karate, Empty Hand and Kendo, Swordery.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I like panzerfahren because it's an actual phrase and the show deserves to have ridiculous amounts of German gibberish added at every possible point, on top of some being actual dialog "Panzer vor", "jawohl" and other instances. The title says panzer, force that word in everywhere.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like panzerfahren because it's an actual phrase and the show deserves to have ridiculous amounts of German gibberish added at every possible point, on top of some being actual dialog "Panzer vor", "jawohl" and other instances. The title says panzer, force that word in everywhere.

Oh, like that movie (forgot the title....... Somethingorather Meister or whatever..........) when they add the suffix "-meister" to every proper noun? Laughing
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Just a semi-related random musing of mine, but am I the only one who finds the ridiculous translations of Senshado absolutely hilarious? The next time I translate something, I'm going to call Karate, Empty Hand and Kendo, Swordery.

Well, "Sensha-do" is a pretty ridiculous term if you speak Japanese.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
It's ridiculous in terms of our world, yes. But it makes sense in the world of Girls und Panzer. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure Sentai will have 'senshado' (or its hyphenated equivalent) in the official subs so only these awful 'panzerfahren', 'tankery', or 'tankwondo' will be in Crunchyroll/fansubs.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's ridiculous in terms of our world, yes. But it makes sense in the world of Girls und Panzer. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure Sentai will have 'senshado' (or its hyphenated equivalent) in the official subs so only these awful 'panzerfahren', 'tankery', or 'tankwondo' will be in Crunchyroll/fansubs.

As translations go, "Tankery" is the best from a 'getting the point across' point of view. Personally I prefer "Sensha-do" or "Panzerfahren", but I don't dislike any of them, except "Tankwondo", which is just too cheeky.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
Get your preorder in now if you want to make sure. Mine is from December so I hope to get the first batch out...

---

As for subs and translations my advice is:
1) Learn Japanese
2) Watch without subs
3) Understand made up words however you like
4) Enjoy!

This is only the most obvious case where translations are not ideal. If you know Japanese or any other language for that matter, you know that in fact the problem is everywhere when reading and watching translations, and not just in anime and manga but in all books and shows. It is the nature of the beast. The only way to avoid it entirely is to stop relying on translations.

Or... you can just enjoy the translations you are given and don't worry about it so much. You understand what they mean by tankery, right? Fun to complain, I know, I love to complain as well...

Kendo and karate are different. They have been around long enough and are popular enough to have become loanwords in the English language. Senshado is made up and regardless of how popular Girls Und Panzer becomes it will never become a loanword in the English language. That means it is down to the opinion on whether you translate for a general audience where "onii-chan" should be translated or for an anime specific audience where "onii-chan" should be left alone. It is just one of the many choices translators face which makes translations less than perfect, every time.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

I thought that was the point. Also Swordery would have been a great name for Bamboo Blade. Well, that is if instead of kendo, the girls fought using non lethel yet real kantanas. How would they be non lethal? I have no idea.

Wait, there are fansubs? Why the hell have I been watching the official dubbed version supporting both the original Japanese producers and Section 23 if I didn't have to?

I would have gone with Tank-fu myself. Hell, if a girl can have a name of Orange Pekoe then everything goes...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1