• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Storms Amazon.JP

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowrazoR

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
Feel the POWAH of Haruhiism, world! Very Happy
Vikio

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, jeez! Shocked I'm watching the show now as it comes out, and it's a power beyond reconing. Seemingly usual anime high-school story with mysterious magical stuff at first glance, but NO. There's just something about it. All bow to the power of Haruhi.
Obviously the reason for the novels selling as they do is because the anime is being told out of chronological order and aims to confuscate viewers. Hence, viewres buy the novel and spoil themeselves on the proper sequential story details.
cell21

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
The power of Haruhi all bow to it. ^^
ravager

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
It's now taking Japan by storm! Just wait til the fandom comes to our shores...
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Obviously the reason for the novels selling as they do is because the anime is being told out of chronological order and aims to confuscate viewers. Hence, viewres buy the novel and spoil themeselves on the proper sequential story details.

The novel isn't told entirely chronolgically either. For example, the third book takes place between the first too.
Serge

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
And it's just a matter of a few days, until the anime reaches #1 on the ANN Top 50 anime list.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
And it's just a matter of a few days, until the anime reaches #1 on the ANN Top 50 anime list.

Probably based on weighted average though, but it still has some ways to go to reach #1 based on a bayesian estimate.
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Serge wrote:

Probably based on weighted average though, but it still has some ways to go to reach #1 based on a bayesian estimate.

The ridiculous thing about that whole situation is that it was HIGHLY ranked (#2 and #7 respectively about 2 weeks ago, IIRC) on both list after only the SECOND episode had aired. That's F-ing unbelievable. I mean, granted the show is good, but ranking it so highly after two episodes is kind of insane.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vikio

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me! Idea I didn't vote for it yet, gonna go vote it as MASTERPIECE now... Anime hyper

(before the subliminal hypnosis of the show wears off) Twisted Evil
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Shinotaku14 wrote:

The ridiculous thing about that whole situation is that it was HIGHLY ranked (#2 and #7 respectively about 2 weeks ago, IIRC) on both list after only the SECOND episode had aired. That's F-ing unbelievable. I mean, granted the show is good, but ranking it so highly after two episodes is kind of insane.

I can't help but agree there. I won't be ranking the anime until I've actually finished watching it, simply because there is no way to tell if an anime will be good until the entire thing is done. But that's just me.
Vikio

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Hey I resent that, Razz it's not as insane as it seems. I have seen all of the episodes from this series that is currently available to the public, and based on the current material available I believe it deserves Masterpiece. If at any point my opinion changes, like when the series finishes, I can always go back and change my rating.
I highly doubt though that the show can disgrace itself. Noone ever knows what to expect from the next episode, so it is always better than people's expectations. It's a formula for sucess.
Jack VanBurace

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I cant wait until the novels are translated to english, and as ravager says it could be even bigger here. I have to say that i cant even imagine what could happen with the show to make me change my mind about a masterpiece rating....tho i could happen.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope they do get translated into English someday, I'd read them. I have to wonder if the fansub group uses the novels as reference; I know with my Japanese abilities (which aren't all that great, I admit), this series would be impossibly difficult to translate from audio alone.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone brings em over soon.
considering were getting the Vampire Hunter D novels we have Battle Royale, irc some of the slayers novels came over. and also Blood the last vampire irc. we really need more comedy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
So where do you go to vote?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3