• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: WSJ: PS3 Successor to Be Unveiled on February 20

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
"but will retain an optical disc drive due to bandwidth concerns in some countries."

Thats only reason they are keeping a disc drive? Do they just want to completely abandon physical media when they get the chance to?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
... Who else saw WSJ and thought "Weekly Shonen Jump"? Laughing
leokiko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
^that would be weird tho heh.

Will buy ps4 day 1 really, like I've done with every system until now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll have the prototypes available for play in the next local Sony Expo.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
"but will retain an optical disc drive due to bandwidth concerns in some countries."

Thats only reason they are keeping a disc drive? Do they just want to completely abandon physical media when they get the chance to?
I can understand this honestly. I live in the Midwest and even here most people seem to have 20 megabit connections and can download full games faster than it takes us to drive to the store. It also stops gamestop from ripping people off and lets devs get more of their cut again, when people buy digital. Storage could be an issue but then again storage is cheap now days.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Storage could be an issue but then again storage is cheap now days.

Not to mention, Sony could easily use GaiKai to resolve that problem. GaiKai is a cloud service that Sony recently acquired. It would make sense to utilitize it on the PS4.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I can understand this honestly. I live in the Midwest and even here most people seem to have 20 megabit connections and can download full games faster than it takes us to drive to the store. It also stops gamestop from ripping people off and lets devs get more of their cut again, when people buy digital. Storage could be an issue but then again storage is cheap now days.

Well I was complaining more about the fact they seem intent on removing the disc drive.. I am someone who refuses to buy digital and buy all my games physical, so that would tick me off to no end. I like actually owning a game and being able to build my video game collection instead of just being given permission to use a file without any control over it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
Downloading is more storage problems than bandwidth problems I find. Space gets eaten up quite fast if you're more than a casual player. PS3 games taking up 5GB to 20GB, even at a 500GB HDD that's less than 50 games.. not including actual save files, any system updates, DLC, movies, or whatever else people might get. Just to buy the digital download of Ni No Kuni off PSN requires over 20GB. No thanks.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
Is a 500 GB hard drive supposed to be considered big? I'm not a console gamer so I'm not sure what the norm is for the console market. But for PC gamers, 2 TB hard drives can be found easily on sale for $70 or $80 which is all the storage one would need for gaming I'd think.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Is a 500 GB hard drive supposed to be considered big? I'm not a console gamer so I'm not sure what the norm is for the console market. But for PC gamers, 2 TB hard drives can be found easily on sale for $70 or $80 which is all the storage one would need for gaming I'd think.

500GB is the newest version of PS3 and biggest yet. My PS3 is a 60GB (I got this one since it can play PS2 games upscaled while they removed that feature from the newer versions with bigger HDs) so I couldn't even download many things even if I wanted to.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
Maybe the PS3 will drop in price now.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
... Who else saw WSJ and thought "Weekly Shonen Jump"? :lol:

And I always think the opposite when I see those initials. I'm often momentarily confused, wondering why the newspaper would have a story about anime/manga/etc., before I remember Viz's anthology. I've never been a subscriber to either, and I've only read the newspaper a handful of times... ^^
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
"PS3 successor"? What, so it hasn't officially been named the PS4 yet?

Vaisaga wrote:
... Who else saw WSJ and thought "Weekly Shonen Jump"? Laughing

Guilty as charged. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I was wondering why a Manga magazine would break such a story but then it is a Japanese publication (albeit a non-news one), and Sony is of course a Japanese company. Stranger things have happened.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

It really depends where you live, who your internet carrier is, and if they throttle during peak times. I can get up to 60mbps on non-peak times and as low as 1mbps during peak. I'm in a college town, so I expect as much. But, some areas in the Midwest are not so lucky with speeds. My hometown has a maximum speed of 1.5mbps, which is kind of crappy. This is why I buy physical media for the most part.

Honestly, I'm hoping the successor will be more user friendly. Music during any game, use web while in voice chat, cross game/in-game w/ out of game chat, improved apps (Youtube, Crunchyroll, etc.), better browser (I can't remember how many times this has crashed on me), and the ability to delete trophy patches (so many games at 0%).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It takes a mobile drive, and some larger capacity drives are also slightly larger physically so won't fit. 750GB seems to be becoming common in non-budget laptops, but 1TB was still the limit last I checked and you pay a premium.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2