• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Capcom Producer: Resident Evil Reboot Is Possible

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Isn't an open world zombie game pretty much just Dead Rising? They already have that. Though maybe since the creator left Capcom they don't want to use that franchise anymore.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Is RE: Revelations any good? I just got a 3DS and I'm looking for titles.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Is RE: Revelations any good? I just got a 3DS and I'm looking for titles.

I'm pretty biased, but I will say it's probably one of the best RE game we had in a long long time.

It's the closest any recent RE games has gotten to survival horror, the bestiary is unique(though this applies to all RE games), and the story is actually not half bad. Lastly, it's one of the very few 3DS games where the 3D is worthwhile. Oh, and the zombies in this game is more zombie than those plaga jerks in 4, 5, and 6.

My only complaint is that it takes the franchise no where. It didn't take place after the latest RE game at the time, it only took place spoiler[inbetween 4 and 5. So whatever happens in the game, you know it had absolutely NO relevance to the overall story of the franchise.
]

Do note the bias though. I liked the game, therefore there's probably a level of bias to it.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Isn't an open world zombie game pretty much just Dead Rising? They already have that. Though maybe since the creator left Capcom they don't want to use that franchise anymore.

It's practically confirmed that Capcom Vancouver is working on Dead Rising 3.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
The problem with Capcom is that they think they know what us 'westerners' want in games; action. However, they are very wrong.
Yes, we love our action games, but Resident Evil is loved due to its survival horror routes. Resident Evil 4 got the mix between horror and action perfectly. Then we had the awful messes that are Resident Evil 5 and 6.
Hopefully the negative feedback of these games and the now bargain bin prices will give them the hint that we want to go back to basics. If I wanted to play a Gears of War style action game, I'll just play Gears of War. Capcom, take note.
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
RE4 was pretty good and I appreciated how the game had less puzzles than the prequels while still giving some scary looking monster and that guy with the chainsaw.

Also, when I read this title I imagined "My name is Chris, but you can call me 'Chris the Zombie Killer'. Has nice ring to it, doesn't it?"
SSJLuffy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Reboots suck! Just continue the series. You can have big monsters and some monsters with guns, just in small, dark environments. That's what makes the games more interesting. RE4 did it perfectly, but I would love to see a mix of RE4 and old Resident Evil games.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I say go for it. It can't be worse then RE6 that is for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
I say go for it. It can't be worse then RE6 that is for sure.

Well, there were SOME stages in RE6 that were kind of short in quicktime button pressing events -- mainly the first two or three in Leon's story -- so actually, it CAN be worse. (Not a whole lot, but still...)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
So they want to reboot this franchise again? I thought they already did that with the 'Revelations' series.
Well I guess if they can reboot DmC then why not. It would be interesting to see them take a different approach to it. I guess DmC is only good for the visuals than story. But it would interesting to see. Or Capcom is running out of ideas and they keep running back to the more popular franchises. I guess you can call RE popular.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
So they want to reboot this franchise again? I thought they already did that with the 'Revelations' series.

Wait...what? How is Revelations in anyway a reboot?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

It's not? I must've picked the wrong one. Didn't they have a RE Origins in HD at one point in time. I guess that was just a HD update. My mistake. Oh well...
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

It's not? I must've picked the wrong one. Didn't they have a RE Origins in HD at one point in time. I guess that was just a HD update. My mistake. Oh well...

There's no Resident Evil reboot yet. Re: Revelations took place in between RE 5 and 6. RE Origins in HD? I know about RE Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles getting a HD makeover for PS3 with Move Support.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Also, when I read this title I imagined "My name is Chris, but you can call me 'Chris the Zombie Killer'. Has nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

There was nothing wrong with the Devil May Cry series before they decided to reboot it. Terrible decision on their part.

However, looking at how badly RE6 did, I'm all for it. It's better than cleaning up that trainwreck.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
However, looking at how badly RE6 did, I'm all for it. It's better than cleaning up that trainwreck.

Over 3 and a half million sold in 4 months is bad?

As for reboots, I wouldn't mind it if it went back to the early games, 4 and beyond just weren't the same, especially since they killed Umbrella off inbetween 3 and 4 off screen. The whole franchise was about taking them down and suddenly they're gone and now we get plaga stuff instead of zombies. Felt very cheap. Plus with the arguable 'final villain' dead, the series kind of just feels forced at this point. Right now it's just the heroes fighting random companies who use bio weapons, rather than main threats like Wesker and Umbrella, and how everything related back to them throughout the games like the leeches, Veronica virus, and all that. All that magic is gone ever since 4 arrived. Though I will admit it was nice to see Sherry again all grown up in 6 and what happened to her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2