• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Tokimeki Tonight

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Buried Treasure returns! (Sort of.)

Hopefully this'll become a regular column.

Last edited by RapidEyeMovement on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sceleris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
That ending song is so great! Haven't seen the show (of which I have seen English language fansubs floating around, at least up to 20 or so episodes), but yeah, I really got a kind of Urusei Yatsura vibe from it, that dancing and all.

Nice column, I'll make sure to follow it. Smile (It's the second coming of Buried Treasure/Garbage! Kind of!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, I've never seen the whole TV series. In fact, despite its availability on DVD in Japan, nobody has ever subtitled it, legally or otherwise, and the series is all but unknown to American fans. Only a fansub of two compilation OAVs exist.

Actually there IS an ongoing effort to fansub it, and as Sceleris above already noted, most of it is already done(the show has 34 episodes).
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice. This column looks like it will be a lot of fun. Will definitely read more of Justin's voyage into his pile of shame.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I am delighted that Justin will have a regular column again. I hope that it actually will have some influence on distribs. I know he thinks something like Tokimeki Tonight has a slim to none chance of ever being released outside of Japan, but with Discotek among others picking up old shows, one never knows.

Anyway, I'm bummed that Tokimeki isn't readily available. It sounds like a hoot.

Last edited by Blood- on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice idea for a column.

From the title "pile of shame" I expected it to only be bad old series best let forgotten but I like this idea much better. It will be nice to discover some hidden gems this way (maybe your column will even encourage some fansubbing or even better licensing of old classic series).

As for myself I can't say I have a "pile of shame" since I only buy series I've seen before. But I suppose I can call my pile of series I meant to re-watch a "pile of shame".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling a good lot of these will be TV series that were either not licensed or not well fansubbed. Or maybe it's just what we all call it, a backlog. At least I hope it's more than just that, I love hearing about the most unknown in anime. So maybe more stuff like Creamy Mami, the rest of Pierrot's magical girl stuff, and other oldies that aren't well known here? I think you covered a good lot of OVAs and films, but as time flows more things fall out of public knowledge, and it feels good to recommend things that are forgotten. Shows like this anime, Queen Millennia, SPT Layzner, and others are still being fansubbed, slowly. Maybe they have been in the 90s on 4th generation VHS, but no one's going to download that crap these days. For all intents and purposes, their main exposure to western fandom happens now.

I've wanted to see Tokimeki Tonight since I saw the ED, it just looked really cute. But now we're coming to a time where older series are receiving BD releases and I come to the decision if I should watch now or wait for better quality later.

Quote:
nobody has ever subtitled it, legally or otherwise, and the series is all but unknown to American fans.

The first 21 episodes appeared to be subbed, and episode 21 came out on the 21st of last month. Judging from their filesize and that they're still in the .avi container, they're probably not of the highest quality. Still, gonna have to change the information box.

Quote:
Anyway, intentional comedy aside, the ending theme song is a catchy little number with an unfortunate Engrish title: “Super Love Lotion.” Yeah.

It's not like that ED isn't seductive, what with Ranze dancing around in naught but a cloak.

If the rest of your Pile of Shame is shows like these, what can you do but unfortunately tell people to download fansubs? They have less chance than those older missed robot shows (Layzner, L-Gaim, Dragonar, Dancougah) and they have less chance than classic Leijiverse series, which can be marketed on Matsumoto's name alone (Queen Millennia, Starzinger, Danguard Ace). What's next, Hikari no Densetsu? Ai Shite Night? Igano Kabamaru? The 80s is just full of lost items. Thankfully subbers have more patience for one-off OVAs, so those get readily picked up all the time. The best you can hope for most of is that they go onto legal streaming, but would any licensee see that as a marketable decision? They'd still have to hire a translator.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this series (dubbed) many times, I may grab the JP dvd set someday.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...What's next, Hikari no Densetsu? Ai Shite Night? Igano Kabamaru? The 80s is just full of lost items. Thankfully subbers have more patience for one-off OVAs, so those get readily picked up all the time.

Igano Kabamaru has been subbed in its entirety, also not long ago. As for the other two, our German-speaking brethren on my side of Atlantic are more fortunate as both of those have aired on the German networks, and probably occasionally still air.
Especially Ai Shite Night(Rock`n Roll Kids) I hope someone would take a shot on, as I understand some German and have seen it and think it's pretty nice. That is, unless you happen to have an extreme aversion to the 80s, which essence it captures extremely well...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've just been searching around to see what older shows are subbed or partially subbed. Creamy Mami was fully done a long time ago, but Magical Emi and Magical Fairy Persia have stalled out at 8 and 28 respectively. None for Pastel Yumi. I can't seem to find anything for Minky Momo TV aside from the OVAs, but the time is perfect for someone ambitious to fansub the BluRays, apparently they're really good. A Yuyama series that isn't Pokeymans deserves it. Ai Shite Night and Hikari no Densetsu both only got 4 episodes in before abandonment, and Live-eviL must have given up on Queen Millennia, it only got to episode 11. But they're so close to finishing Space Pirate Captain Harlock Endless Orbit SSX, I wish they'd just rush to the finish line and get it over with.

L-Gaim was finally completed with a few months ago, and Lazyner is up to episode 28 with sporadic subbing.
smashwagon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed reading this article, and Tokimeki sounds like it is a bucket-load of fun. One thing though is that "Pile of Shame" has a sort of negative connotation, which could color perception of this series of articles unfairly as rants about terrible obscure shows, when it will also contain rave ups (such as this one) as well.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
RapidEyeMovement wrote:
Hopefully this'll become a regular column.

This will be biweekly on Tuesdays.

Thanks for all the notes on the new fansub effort. I'll update the column.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Pfft, all this talk of the ED, the OP is where it's at. Well, ok, the original probably wouldn't have left a huge impression on me, but there are two really good remixes of it on this album http://www.amazon.co.jp/キラキラ-魔女ッ娘-Cluv-オムニバス/dp/B002JR04DA

A shame they don't seem to be readily available anywhere...
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
And a great start to this column, good read! I have heard of this title and it seems interesting. I guess I'll check it out.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY, BURIED TREASURE! HAS COME BACK! TO ANIME NEWS NETWORK!

Sort of.

Do a review of Kimagure Orange Road next! I used to be a KOR mark and we never got a Buried Treasure column about it. I dropped it part way the last time I watched it, though. No matter how much ganja I'd smoked, I still couldn't help but yell at my monitor over the lack of cell phones. Even if it's an '80s anime, at least give the characters those big clunky brick phones! They're not smartphones but they're at least accurate to the time period!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8