• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nerd? Geek? or Dork? Test

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are you?
Joe Normal
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Pure Nerd
21%
 21%  [ 16 ]
Pure Geek
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Pure Dork
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Modern, Cool Nerd
18%
 18%  [ 14 ]
Tri-Lamb Material
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Computer Savant
11%
 11%  [ 9 ]
Outcast Genius
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 76

Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Because I can!

Nerd? Geek? or Dork? Test (On the page where it asks for your gender and sexuality, you can skip answering it and go directly to the results by clicking the little grey words at the bottom)

For The Record (according to the test creator):
A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.

List of Possible Answers:
  • Joe Normal - Less than half in all three categories.
  • Pure Nerd - More than half in Nerd, less than half in Geek and Dork.
  • Pure Geek - More than half in Geek, less than half in Nerd and Dork.
  • Pure Dork - More than half in Dork, less than half in Nerd and Geek.
  • Modern, Cool Nerd - More than half in Nerd and Geek, less than half in Dork.
  • Tri-Lamb Material - More than half in Nerd and Dork, less than half in Geek.
  • Computer Savant - More than half in Geek and Dork, less than half in Nerd.
  • Outcast Genius - More than half in all three categories.

I question the name choices, but it'll do.

---------------------

And now for my results:

Quote:
Modern, Cool Nerd

61 % Nerd, 74% Geek, 48% Dork

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Congratulations!

Your Analysis:

Nerdiness Distribution
You scored 61% on nerdiness, higher than 60% of your peers.

Geekosity Distribution
You scored 74% on geekosity, higher than 96% of your peers.

Dork points Distribution
You scored 48% on dork points, higher than 83% of your peers.

My geekosity is dangerously high. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Throughout this test, have you been trying to figure out which each question is testing for in terms of nerd/geek/dork, etc? Have you been trying to figure the test out?
[X] Yes
[ ] No

I laughed pretty hard at that.
Quote:
Computer Savant

48 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 52% Dork

People confuse you with a Nerd all of the time. You aren't some genius, like some people have said, and didn't/don't really like school all that much (and you especially hated some of the social aspects, like getting mocked). It's just that you have some passions and interests that you're extremely into/good at, and this has placed you in circles with other social outcasts, some of whom are exceptionally bright.

The awesome thing about being where you are is that you get to hang out with an elite group (though you'd probably rather be alone, or with only the closest friends and family) and you can make quite a good career for yourself in your particular specialties. Common to this group are people who are highly into electronics/computers as that is where the money lies, today.
That's fairly on target (at least, it's the closest out of all of them), but given how close to the cutoffs I am I guess I don't cleanly fit under one label.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Your Analysis: Tri-Lamb Material
You scored 52% on nerdiness, higher than 42% of your peers.
You scored 26% on geekosity, higher than 31% of your peers.
You scored 70% on dork points, higher than 99% of your peers.

Sad thing is I'm pretty sure I'm waaay better than I used to be. I guess it's time for me to go cry angry, cheeto-colored tears to myself in a corner while correcting people on the internet.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
You scored 70% on nerdiness, higher than 76% of your peers.
You scored 65% on geekosity, higher than 90% of your peers.
You scored 48% on dork points, higher than 83% of your peers.

I haven't done one of these tests since back when Myspace was a thing. This was pretty fun. "Modern, Cool Nerd" is my status, because, yup, I'm cool and there's no way to deny it.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
I am also a "modern, cool, nerd"

You scored 61% on geekosity, higher than 87% of your peers.

You scored 35% on dork points, higher than 57% of your peers.

That's about what I expected. I don't have that much trouble with social interaction, I just don't really like it.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Ah, this was fun. Maybe having so much fun doing this is proof enough the test is right?

I'm an outcast genius, apparently.

Quote:
You scored 70% on geekosity, higher than 93% of your peers.
You scored 52% on dork points, higher than 89% of your peers.

I'd somewhat doubt the nerdiness, but am quite proud of 70% geekosity.

Quote:
Outcast geniuses usually are bright enough to understand what society wants of them, and they just don't care! They are highly intelligent and passionate about the things they know are *truly* important in the world. Typically, this does not include sports, cars or make-up, but it can on occassion (and if it does then they know more than all of their friends combined in that subject).

I just love the not caring part.

Quote:
Outcast geniuses can be very lonely, due to their being outcast from most normal groups and too smart for the room among many other types of dorks and geeks, but they can also be the types to eventually rule the world, ala Bill Gates, the prototypical Outcast Genius.

Off to rule the world then.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
I am Joe Normal.

Some of those questions did not have a correct answer for me, but I was forced to pick something so that I could complete the survey.
There probably were not enough of them to skew the results significantly, but I really do not know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Pure Nerd:
Quote:
You scored 35% on geekosity, higher than 48% of your peers.
You scored 13% on dork points, higher than 10% of your peers.

If someone read the descriptions to me and asked me to describe myself, I would have picked "modern nerd," but according to the survey I am a "pure nerd." Need to be 3% more geeky to be a modern nerd...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Modern, Cool Nerd
87 % Nerd, 57% Geek, 30% Dork

You scored 87% on nerdiness, higher than 96% of your peers.
You scored 57% on geekosity, higher than 82% of your peers.
You scored 30% on dork points, higher than 48% of your peers.

Quote:
The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge).

I could never forget the facial expressions of a few friends of my ex (who were from her high school or whatnot so I didn't know them) when one of them casually asked, "how big is an A4 paper" and I replied "210x297mm, or 8.27"x11.69" if you go Imperial/American; the area is 1/16 of a square meter."

They looked at me like, uh, looking at an extraterrestrial being. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I also scored as a Modern, Cool Nerd, though apparently my dorkliness coefficient was almost 50% which nearly pushed me into Outcast Genius territory. I am also borderline Pure Nerd.
Quote:
You scored 83% on nerdiness, higher than 93% of your peers.
You scored 52% on geekosity, higher than 77% of your peers.
You scored 43% on dork points, higher than 77% of your peers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I scored as Joe Normal (30 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 9% Dork). Interesting enough test. Nice find Willag.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Pure Nerd:
Quote:
You scored 35% on geekosity, higher than 48% of your peers.
You scored 13% on dork points, higher than 10% of your peers.

If someone read the descriptions to me and asked me to describe myself, I would have picked "modern nerd," but according to the survey I am a "pure nerd." Need to be 3% more geeky to be a modern nerd...

Get a Hawaiian shirt and you pass into Cool Nerd territory lol.

As for me:

Quote:
Modern, Cool Nerd

61 % Nerd, 83% Geek, 35% Dork

You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Congratulations!

At least somebody thinks I'm cool lol.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Outcast Genius

Your Analysis (Vertical line = Average)

You scored 74% on nerdiness, higher than 84% of your peers.

You scored 83% on geekosity, higher than 99% of your peers.

You scored 65% on dork points, higher than 97% of your peers.

I think "outcast genius" is an exaggeration, but I'm surprised I didn't score higher in dorkiness, I seriously lack social skills (to the point of using my little sister for any task that requires them).

I tend to be vocally proud of this (the social awkwardness, the nerdiness and the geekiness) but I do sometimes worry about the future. Realistically speaking, I'm afraid I can never become Bill Gates, especially since I'm majoring in History :/
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
74% Nerd
57% Geek
70% Dork

Score: Outcast Genius

I'm pretty good in school and pretty terrible with people, so I guess that fits^^; I feel like some of the "geek" questions didn't apply to me simply because I'm not in the right kind of fandoms for those behaviors to make sense.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'll bite.

Pure Nerd
61 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 43% Dork

...huh. I expected my geek and dork levels to be higher. I guess I have been becoming less of a dork lately, although still not enough to attract women Sad . And my geek level is pathetic! I need a premium Crunchyroll account, stat!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4