• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Akiyuki Simbo

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masat01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this the interview they held a contest for on the site?

Edit: it says it right in the first paragraph. My bad.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The very first idea that I want to share is, "Who cares if you are a hikikomori?" If I didn't have this job I, too, may have become a NEET. I thought that it would be nice if people, including myself, could step out and do something...but at the same time, who cares if you can't take that very first step yet? What's wrong with not taking it?

At the risk of sounding like I'm enabling harmful behaviors...

Best. Director. Ever.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, that took a while! Very Happy Was wondering when I'd see the question that won my copy. (It was the one that asked about his approach to tackling light novel adaptations as opposed to tackling manga, FYI.)

Afraid I don't have time to make further comments on what he actually said, but I do have to openly wonder.... what the heck is up with the varying romanization of the director's name? It seems that the most commonly used one is also the more correct one, "Akiyuki Shinbo", but with Madoka Magica, Aniplex has been using "Akiyuki Shimbo" and now NISA is using "Akiyuki Simbo." It kind of hilarious looking at this romanization, as it instantly calls to mind the name "Simba," but still... why all these variances?

Last edited by Animerican14 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
To me, these NEET or hikikomori shows seem like the same kind of power fantasy that male harem-shows are. Only in this case, the NEET shows aren't exactly a giving off a positive message. In Heaven's Memo Pad it shows that NEETs can be all be part of cool club! Or there are cute-girl hikikomori's too (Sasami-san@Ganbaranai)! There's nothing wrong with being a unemployed or whatever, but these shows seem to either try and encourage it or just create the illusion that this lifestyle is somehow cool.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The very first idea that I want to share is, "Who cares if you are a hikikomori?" If I didn't have this job I, too, may have become a NEET. I thought that it would be nice if people, including myself, could step out and do something...but at the same time, who cares if you can't take that very first step yet? What's wrong with not taking it?

I strongly disagree with this point of view. The world has its risks and pitfalls, but you'll never experience the great joys of it either if you lock yourself away at home out of comfort and safety. There are lots of reasons to avoid the sort of inaction that comes from being a NEET or a hikikomori, and it's disheartening that this excessively escapist culture is being embraced by individuals in the anime industry. I've the feeling that many of the people who adopt this lifestyle will rudely awaken to their middle-aged selves, wondering why they spent so much time fantasizing about the lives of imaginary characters, and so little time doing something with their own.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Afraid I don't have time to make further comments on what he actually said, but I do have to openly wonder.... what the heck is up with the varying romanization of the director's name? It seems that the most commonly used one is also the more correct one, "Akiyuki Shinbo", but with Madoka Magica, Aniplex has been using "Akiyuki Shimo" and now NISA is using "Akiyuki Simo." It kind of hilarious looking at this romanization, as it instantly calls to mind the name "Simba," but still... why all these variances?

It's how Japanese phonology works.

His name is, strictly, "Sinbo". However, due to allophonic rules in Japanese, it's pronounced "Shimbo". All the romanizations are somewhere in between these two.

"Simo" is just plain wrong, though.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
@ halochief_90:

I think the key term you're looking for is "escapist", which is probably what would best describe the idea of hikikomori being seen in a positive light.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
what the heck is up with the varying romanization of the director's name?

In the west, 99% of people use Hepburn romanization because it's the closest equivalent to the roman letters that are used. Whereas in Japan, in addition to Hepburn they also somtimes use Nihon-shiki romanization. The differences between these two romanizations (as well as the senpai/sempai choice of whether to translate the text (which would be senpai) or how it is pronounced (which would be sempai) leads to various kinds of romanization that are pretty much all correct.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I just wish he didn't sound so much like a drug dealer. This is major league enabling in order to keep paying customers. Sad
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with being a unemployed or whatever, but these shows seem to either try and encourage it or just create the illusion that this lifestyle is somehow cool.

That's not the case with this show (Psychoelectric Girl). The lead character is positively irritated by the girl's reasoning for shutting herself away, and goes about shattering her illusions and helping her take the first steps towards re-integrating into society. By the fourth or fifth episode, spoiler[she has a job.]
johnndergrosse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
When the hell did we start calling it Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl? Why aren't we calling it Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko or Electromagnetic Wave Woman and Adolescent Man?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
johnndergrosse wrote:
When the hell did we start calling it Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl? Why aren't we calling it Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko or Electromagnetic Wave Woman and Adolescent Man?

Since NISA decided that is what they would market it as
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
johnndergrosse wrote:

So they could make a sweet Bowie reference. Why else?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
johnndergrosse wrote:

Because that's what NISA is calling it. Ergo, ANN calls it that.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Great interview and questions submitted. It is nice to see Shinbo's brain get picked a little and get a glimpse at his work philosophy. He's more technical and thoughtful than his eccentricities might suggest. It's not hard to see why he is one of the top directors today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4