• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Been a while since I last did one of these.

High Priorities to Buy:
Lupin III: Green vs Red
Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar

Both will be coming out in May (well Geminar is apparently as well, though this is unofficial right now), so will definitely make for a nice early birthday gift for myself to splurge on. Very Happy

Will Get at Some Point:
3x3 Eyes
Night Raid 1931
Sound of the Sky
Utakata
Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl
My-Otome Zwei
Tenchi Muyo GXP

As you can pretty much see, there's not really much I have interest in wishing to snag at the moment considering I've recently started to dig through past anime titles I ditched in the past at some point. So I'm not really sure what else I would want, beyond what I have here, as of yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
I don't really have any absolute must-buy shows right now (until Sentai decides to release Hidamari Sketch X Honeycomb on DVD) but there are a number of anime I definitely plan to buy in 2013:

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl
Hyakko
Locke the Superman
Lupin III: The Mystery of Mamo
My Bride is a Mermaid
Natsume's Book of Friends season 3 (& 4, which I think is coming in July)
Rose of Versailles
Venus Wars

There are some other NISA titles I may consider buying (in order of likelihood):

Bunny Drop
Zakuro
The Princess and the Pilot
Umineko-When They Cry

I have not seen any of Hanasaku Iroha yet but I plan to check it out so that may get added to one of these lists. In any case, where NISA is concerned, if they have a title I want I am going to get the premium editions.

I am also considering purchasing Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari; however, I expect money to be really tight this year so I will have to think hard about getting these.

There are also some titles that I will definitely purchase sometime in the future, though it may not be in 2013:

Intrigue in the Bakumatsu
Kurenai
Panty & Stocking
Penguindrum
Shakugan no Shana season 2-3, S-OVA & movie
Shiki

With P&S I'm waiting to see if FUNimation puts out a BD/DVD combo in the future (I have a friend I may want to show the dub to who does not have a BD player). I'm not sure why I forgot to pick up Kurenai during the Xmas sale, maybe it will be on sale again this Xmas. With the others I am waiting for prices to go down and/or full season sets to be released.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
@OldCharlie

Locke the Superman is an excellent choice, I'm glad I bought it myself. It's also proof that Discotek isn't just releasing a bunch of old random movies and OVAs that are Mad Bull 34 quality (although they got that one on the basis that it is Mad Bull 34 quality and they've advertised it as an hilarious OVA, and I do so want it), but actually good stuff.

Intrigue in the Bakumatsu has me torn. On one hand, I freakin' love Ryosuke Takahashi. On the other, I find this series incredibly difficult to follow. As in I am halfway through the series and can only barely describe the basic plot. I don't think it's one of his stronger works. I'll see if finishing it changes my mind.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
I'm planning to pick up Flowers of Evil and Flowers of Edo on RightStuf with the vertical sale they are having. I'm also curious about Keiko Suenobu's Limit to help fill out my cart, is anyone familiar with the title?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Limit is awesome. I love it. I have the first 3 volumes. It's intense and it can be very harrowing, but if you like drama/survival stories it's very good.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I am considering importing Dennou Coil complete set & Mononoke from Siren Visual. Honestly I have little to no hope that these series will ever be licensed here and they have been on my most wanted list for awhile.

I also WANT Chihayafuru but as that is newer I am still holding out hope it will be picked up here. Also as it is longer it will be more expensive to import. Perhaps I will buy that when a complete set comes out if no one picks that up here.

God I am so jealous of Australia. Hey US licensors stop picking up junk and license the gems like this.

Finally anyone familiar with siren visual know if they ever have sales on their products? Or is it not worth waiting for that.
wormraper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
was thinking of buying Deadman wonderland but it looks like it's sold out at most places. series looks ridiculously over the top.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Finally anyone familiar with siren visual know if they ever have sales on their products? Or is it not worth waiting for that.

Siren Visual actually had their own 20% off sale back in December (it basically knocked out S/H cost for most international customers). Otherwise you can always keep any eye on online retailers like EzyDVD and JB Hi Fi.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Siren Visual actually had their own 20% off sale back in December (it basically knocked out S/H cost for most international customers). Otherwise you can always keep any eye on online retailers like EzyDVD and JB Hi Fi.

I definitely missed that, I am guessing it was a Christmas sale then. I don't know it might make sense to wait till Christmas, although not sure if I can be patient until then.

Thank you very much for the links.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Might as well update this to be relevant for 2013. I've pretty much gotten all of my "Need-to-have-now" from FUNimation (I decided against picking up the LE for Lain because the art book doesn't really interest me, plus it would be a blind buy) and Sentai's releases are rarely ever a priority (even if they have series I really want - Penguin Drum, Kids on the Slope) because of how barebones they are (and for series with 2 cours, I'd rather wait for the full complete collection release). Since I'm traveling to Japan in May, I'm trying to limit to series I want that (1) are collector's items/have spiffy releases; (2) are limited. So mainly NISA and Nozomi. Also, Siren Visual has been picking up some series I REALLY want, so those also get high priority.

ANIME LIST

Priority of Purchases for 2013 wrote:
  • Baccano! (Aniplex USA)
  • Chihayafuru (Siren Visual)
  • Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (Buena Vista)
  • Serial Experiments Lain (Funimation)
  • tsuritama (Sentai)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANIME PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Purchased) (May get to if time and money allow) (Purchased - waiting to arrive)

Anime Eigo
(Yawara!)
(Kimagure Orange Road)

------

Aniplex of America
1. Baccano! (BD)
2. Kara no Kyoukai

(Madoka Magica the Movie Collector's Edition (Import), Puella Magi Madoka Magica LE)
(Gurren Lagann movie 1, Gurren Lagann movie 2, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal)

------

Bandai Entertainment
1. Toward the Terra
2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya / Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

(Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II, The Big O, The Big O II, Crest of the Stars, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Fantastic Children, Flag, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Gurren Lagann, Infinite Ryvius, Outlaw Star, Planetes, Scrapped Princess)
(.hack//sign, 5cm/Sec, Argento Soma, Eureka 7, G Gundam, Gundam 08th MS Team, Gundam Char's Counterattack, Gundam Zeta, Hayate the Combat Butler, Junkers Come Here, My-Hime, My-Otome, Ronin Warriors, Silent Mobius, Wolf's Rain)

------

Bandai Visual USA
(Patlabor: The Movie, Patlabor 2: The Movie)
(Gunbuster, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise)

------

Buena Vista (Disney)
1. Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (BD)
2. Porco Rosso
3. Whisper of the Heart (BD)
4. My Neighbor Totoro

(Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart)

------

Central Park Media (U.S. Manga Corps branch)
1. Descendants of Darkness

(Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then Here and There, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, They Were 11)
(Garzey's Wing, Patlabor, Votoms)

------

Discotek Media
1. Adieu Galaxy Express 999

(Galaxy Express 999, Love Com)
(DNAngel, Lupin the 3rd, Mad Bull 34, Samurai Pizza Cats, Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, Sea Prince and the Fire Child)

------

FUNimation
Series
1. Ouran High School Host Club (BD)
2. Serial Experiments Lain (BD)
3. Lupin III: Fujiko Mine (BD)
4. Kurau: Phantom Memory
5. Oh! Edo Rocket
6. Hellsing / Hellsing Ultimate (BD)
7. Black Lagoon (BD)
8. B Gata H Kei
9. Kaleido Star: New Wings
10. One Piece

Movies
1. Wolf Children (BD)
2. Eden of the East movies (BD)
3. Evangelion movies (BD)

Streaming
1. Attack on Titan
2. Kamisama Kiss
3. PSYCHO-PASS

(Baccano!, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Eden of the East (BD), Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic! TSR (BD), Haibane Renmei, Kaleido Star, Princess Jellyfish, Shiki, Slayers, Spice & Wolf S1, Spice & Wolf S2, Soul Eater (BD), Steins;Gate, Summer Wars (BD))
(Basilisk, Blood-C, [C] - Control, Claymore, Darker Than Black, Desert Punk, El Cazador de la Bruja, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (BD), Full Metal Panic! S1 (BD), Ghost Hunt, Gungrave, Level E, Michiko and Hatchin, Noir, Pretear, Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne (BD), Romeo x Juliet, Sgt. Frog, Tower of Druaga, Trigun, Utawarerumono, X TV Series, Yu Yu Hakusho (BD))

FUNimation/Geneon USA Agreement:
(Black Lagoon, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha A's, Story of Saiunkoku, When They Cry)

------

Geneon USA (formerly Pioneer Entertainment)

FUNimation/Geneon USA Agreement (see above)

Geneon/Pioneer (pre-collapse):
1. Requiem from the Darkness

(3x3 Eyes, Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card, Last Exile, Paranoia Agent)
(Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, Koi Kaze, Rumiko Takahashi: Anthology, Zipang)

------

[AU] Madman Entertainment
1. Cardcaptor Sakura

(Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Patlabor OVA & TV)

------

Manga Entertainment
1. Redline (BD)
2. Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG
3. Dead Leaves

(Dante's Inferno, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Noein)

------

Media Blasters
1. Shamanic Princess
2. YamiBou
3. Giant Robo
4. Ai no Kusabi
5. Fushigi Yugi
6. Shinesman
7. Phoenix
8. Iria: Zeiram the Animation

(Figure 17, GaoGaiGar, Magic Knight Rayearth S1, Magic Knight Rayearth S2, Moribito, Otogi Zoshi, Rurouni Kenshin, Simoun, Strawberry Panic, Tekkaman Blade, Tweeny Witches, The Twelve Kingdoms)
(Blade of the Immortal, Genshiken, Gokusen, Kashimashi, Magic User's Club, Mazinkaiser SKL, Moribito (BD), Squid Girl, Twelve Kingdoms (BD))

------

NISA
1. Kimi ni Todoke S1 (part 2), S2
2. Natsume Yuujinchou S3, S4
3. Toradora!

(Anohana, Bunny Drop, Katanagatari, Kimi ni Todoke S1 (Part 1), Natsume Yuujinchou S1 & S2)
(Hanasaku Iroha, House of Five Leaves, Zakuro)

------

The Right Stuf International

Nozomi Entertainment
1. Sound of the Sky

(Boogiepop Phantom, His and Her Circumstances, Emma: A Victorian Romance, Emma: A Victorian Romance 2nd Act, Martian Successor Nadesico, Revolutionary Girl Utena, The Rose of Versailles, Shingu, The Third)
(Aria, Dirty Pair, Maria Watches Over Us, Piano)

Lucky Penny
1. Aoi Hana

(Hyakko)

------

Section 23 / Sentai Filmworks (Previously A.D. Vision)

ADV Films (when company was still active)
(Full Metal Panic!)

Maiden Japan
1. Patlabor The Mobile Police (OAV 1/1988)

Section 23
1. RahXephon
2. Blue Seed
3. Nadia, Secret of Blue Water
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion

(Angelic Layer, Five Star Stories, Ghost Stories, Kino's Journey, Le Chevalier de Eon, Petite Princess Yucie)

Sentai Filmworks
Released
1. tsuritama (BD)
2. TariTari
3. Another (BD)
4. Penguin Drum (BD) - Part 2
5. Garden of Words (BD)
6. Kids on the Slope (BD)
7. Bodacious Space Pirates (BD)
8. Mardock Scramble 2nd/3rd (BD)
9. Utakata

Unreleased
1. Space Brothers
2. From the New World

(Colorful, Destiny of the Shrine Maiden, Glass Mask, Mardock Scramble: 1st Compression (BD), Orphen, Penguin Drum (Part 1), Shigofumi, Taisho Baseball Girls)
RELEASED: (AKB0048, Angel Beats!, Blue Drop, Book of Bantorra, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Ghost Hound, Hidamari Sketch, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Living for the Day After Tomorrow, Mysterious Girlfriend X, No. 6, Shigofumi - Letters from the Departed, You're Under Arrest)
UNRELEASED: (Kokoro Connect, Chunibuyo)

------

[AU] Siren Visual:
1. Chihayafuru <3
2. Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai
3. Monster
4. Genius Party

(Dennou Coil, Kaiba, Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy)

------

VIZ Media:
1. Tiger and Bunny

(Honey and Clover, Monster, NANA)

~~~~~~

Kickstarter:

(Time of Eve: The Movie)
(Kick Heart)

Last edited by Crisha on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:57 pm; edited 18 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Trying to focus on more current and/or ongoing releases, but gawt dang do I have a backlog of OOP/partially OOP series I want (many which have now been relegated to a brand new list called HAHA SUCKER). The one taunting me the most right now is Eden: It's an Endless World. Sad

MANGA LIST

Priority of Purchases for 2013 wrote:
  • A Bride's Story (Yen Press)
  • Attack on Titan (Kodansha)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura (Dark Horse)
  • From Far Away (VIZ)
  • Immortal Rain (Tokyopop)
  • Kamisama Kiss (VIZ)
  • The Limit (Vertical)
  • Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (Dark Horse)
  • Soul Eater (Yen Press)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MANGA PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (HAHA SUCKER) (Purchased) (Lower priority, may get to if time and money allow) (Sold / gave away)

ADV Manga
(Chrono Crusade)

------

CMX
1. Cipher

HAHA SUCKER
1. Musashi No. 9 - it's incomplete AND long

(Emma)
(Astral Project, Madara, Moon Child, The Name of the Flower, The Palette of 12 Secret Colors, The Recipe for Gertrude, Tower of the Future, Two Flowers for the Dragon)

------

Dark Horse
1. Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (v. 11-13)
2. Cardcaptor Sakura
3. Appleseed

HAHA SUCKER
1. Eden: It's an Endless World (v. 3-13) - slooow release, might never be finished, half of the rest are OOP

(3x3 Eyes (v. 3-8), Clover, Eden: It's an Endless World (v. 1-2), Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (v. 1-10), Magic Knight Rayearth, Translucent)
(Bride of the Water God, Hellsing, MPD Psycho)
(Blood+, Chobits)

------

Del Ray
1. ES Eternal Sabbath

HAHA SUCKER
1. Mushi-shi - you're gonna pay out the nose for volumes 6 & 7
2. Nodame Contabile - it's incomplete, it seems like you're screwed on both the manga and anime (EF YOU SONY) versions, sucker
2. Moyasimon - it's incomplete with only two volumes

(Genshiken, Parasyte, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei)
(Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (v. 1-3), xxxHolic (v. 1-3))

------

DRAWN & QUARTERLY
(Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths, Push Man & Other Stories, Red Snow, A Single Match)

------

FANTAGRAPHICS
1. Wandering Son
2. A Drunken Dream and Other Short Stories

(Heart of Thomas)

------

FIRST SECOND
(Color of Earth)

------

Go Comi
(After School Nightmare, Her Majesty's Dog)

------

Kodansha:
1. Attack on Titan (v. 2-5)
2. Vinland Saga
3. Sailor Moon (v. 3-7)
4. Codename: Sailor V
5. Mardock Scramble
6. Parasyte

(Attack on Titan (v. 1), Sailor Moon (v. 1-2))
(Cage of Eden, Genshiken)

------

ONE PEACE:
1. Breathe Deeply
2. Ten Ken

------

PICTUREBOX:
(Garden)

------

Seven Seas:
(Girl Friends)
(Kashimashi, Laddertop, Toradora!, Voiceful)

------

TokyoPop:
1. Immortal Rain (v. 3, 4, 7, 8)
2. FAKE (v. 3, 6)

HAHA SUCKER
1. Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 2-4) - it's incomplete
2. Tramps Like Us - it's growing more expensive by the day that by the time you'll finally get to it several volumes will be too damn expensive
3. Mars - a long series AND several volumes are $50+

(FAKE (v. 1-2, 4-5, 7), Fruits Basket, Immortal Rain (v. 1-2, 5, 6), Magic Knight Rayearth, Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 1))
(Dragon Knights, Kare Kano)
(Banner of the Stars, Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Crest of the Stars, Dragon Knights (v. 5), Girl Got Game (v. 1-5), Gorgeous Carat (v. 1), Kindaichi Case Files (v. 1-5), Marmalade Boy (v. 5-8))

------

TOP SHELF:
(AX: A Collection of Alternative Manga 1)

------

Vertical:
1. The Limit
2. Paradise Kiss
3. To Terra

(7 Billion Needles, Sakuran, Twin Spica)
(Apollo's Song, Chi's Sweet Home, The Drops of God, The Flowers of Evil (v. 2-4), Helter Skelter, Lychee Light Club, Message to Adolf, No Longer Human, Velveteen & Mandala)
(The Flowers of Evil (v. 1))

------

VIZ:
1. Kamisama Kiss (v. 1-7, 11-13)
2. From Far Away (v. 8-14)
3. Uzumaki (v. 2-3)
4. Afterschool Charisma
5. Saturn Apartments
6. Love Com
7. Kaze Hikaru (v. 3-4, 6-20)

HAHA SUCKER
1. Banana Fish - it's long AND you saw the price on that last volume, right?

(20th Century Boys, 21st Century Boys, Basara, Cross Game, From Far Away (v. 1-7), Kamisama Kiss (v. 8-10), Kaze Hikaru (v. 1-2, 5), Monster, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Please Save My Earth, Story of Saiunkoku, Uzumaki (v. 1))
(Bokurano, Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden, House of Five Leaves, Kingyo Used Books, Library Wars, Maison Ikkoku, Pluto, Rurouni Kenshin, Skip Beat!, Solanin, Video Girl Ai)
(Descendants of Darkness (v. 1-4, 6-8, 10), Fushigi Yugi (v. 1-8), Maison Ikkoku (v. 10, 12-15), Ranma 1/2 (v. 1-9, 12-14))

------

Yen Press:
1. Soul Eater (v. 7-9, 12-14)
2. A Bride's Story (v. 3-4)
3. Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 4-6)
4. With the Light (v. 7-8)
5. Higurashi: When They Cry

(A Bride's Story (v. 1-2), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Soul Eater (v. 1-6, 10, 11), Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 1-3), With the Light (v. 1-6))
(Maximum Ride, Romeo x Juliet, Spiral)

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:48 pm; edited 9 times in total
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh my Surprised That's quite a list you have there willag!! I'm actually in the same boat as you for now. I am focusing a lot on NISA and Nozomi for the next little bit. Looking at FUNimation's lineup for the next few months is a little saddening, and even though Sentai has maaaaany things I like, the prices are always high (especially for us Canadians here! woot!) and they are always barebones. Anywho, I am really looking at:

NISA

-Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl Premium Edition
-AnoHana Premium Edition
- Most other Premiums...... eventually.
While I really want GCtPG (especially since NISA has sold out at the wholesale level), I am conflicted between AnoHana and Bunny Drop for right now. Since Bunny Drop has been released as a Standard Edition, I am a little worried as to if the Premium Edition will sell out as well. There is no counter or anything, but...... like I said, I am conflicted. Any thoughts?

Nozomi

-Antique Bakery Limited Edition
-Revolutionary Girl Utena Limited Edition Sets 1-3
-Emma: A Victorian Romance Seasons 1-2 Litebox
-Junjo Romantica Seasons 1-2 Limited Edition
-Maria Watches Over Us Seasons 1-4 Litebox
-Rose of Versailles Part 1-2 Limited Edition
-Aoi Hana

All of these shows peak my interest. Damn it Nozomi :p

Section 23

-Penguindrum Collection 2
-Kids on the Slope Complete Collection
-Vampire Princess Miyu TV - MAIDEN JAPAN
-Colourful: The Motion Picture
-Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Complete Collection

Ok, so maybe I do have a decent amount of stuff on my Section 23 list haha! I already have the first part of Penguindrum, so I need to get the second part! I have only heard good stuff about Kids on the Slope, and Colourful: The Motion Picture. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 seems interesting and controversial, so I'll give that a try. Vampire Princess Miyu TV is a nostalgic choice for me :p! I don't care what anyone says! Just as good as the OVAs.

FUNimation

-Casshern Sins S.A.V.E. Edition
-Chobits - Bluray Anime Classics
-Dragon Ball Z Kai Seasons 1-4
-Fairy Tail Collection 1
-Shakugan no Shana Season 2 Parts 1/2 AND Season 3 Parts 1/2
-Tenchi Muyo OVA Collection
-Spice and Wolf: The Complete Series
-Princess Jellyfish Limited Edition
-Summer Wars

Oh GOD 0.0 A lot here too.

And looking at both Siren Visual and Madman makes me sad Sad Sad. So many things I want form there. Chihiyafuru, Perfect Blue, The Tatami Galaxy, Cardcaptor Sakura, Higurashi...... So many anime, so little time!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
About what Willag said about waiting for Sentai's complete sets for 2 or more cours I think I am going to start doing that too, unless it is an absolute favorite.

I mean I bought the first part of Penguindrum and have the second set preordered but I am completely disappointed in the release. It's just really boring looking and no effort went into it.

I mean I know Funi isn't NISA but even they at least have a limited edition box, plus BR/DVD.

Of course I will continue to buy 1 cour series from them (looking forward to the Tsuritama release) but I don't think their 2 cour series are worth the money.

And come to think of it I feel the same way about Viz. Tiger & Bunny will be the last 2 cour series I buy from them in initial release.

Edit: Sentai has licensed a few series (not solicited yet) Uchuu Kyoudai, Shin Sekai Yori that I know I won't have the will power to follow through with the above claim.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I bought the first half of Penguin Drum as well, but I haven't taken it out from it's wrapping. I'm just probably going to sell it to Amazon and pick up the complete collection later. Zac's review of the release left me disappointed at the quality. I knew I wasn't getting much in the way of packaging... to get subs and a dub that are only average ticks me off.

I recognize that Sentai fills in a role in our market. They license a lot of series that are a bit more niche, plus they still provide dubs and BD releases for shows.

That still doesn't mean they aren't at the bottom of my list of companies I want licensing the series I really like (i.e. Chihayafuru). They don't provide limited editions with nice packaging, their releases are normally barebones, and while dubs can be a nice bonus they are still just a bonus to me. And it would have to be more than just the ho-hum "well, it's not bad" that Penguin Drum has gotten for me to check it out. FUNi, on the other hand, has lately been putting out releases with dubs that I have quite enjoyed - Princess Jellyfish, Spice and Wolf, Steins;Gate, Shiki.

FUNi's LEs may not be as high quality as other companies (in terms of extras or the quality of the packaging/video or the inconsistency of the packaging between BD-sized and DVD-sized), but they are still at least giving it a try and they're quite good for their prices. I've been very pleased with all four of the releases above.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well honestly with Chihayafuru I would be happy if any company licenses it, but I am rooting for either NISA or Nozomi. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 90 of 132