• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DiC Aquires Saint Seiya

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retrohelix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:56 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, i dont know what the guys at dic were thinking when they picked this one, seems to me that they don't do any research at all on possible series to pick, they just grab whatever was popular at some point and don't care if it was aimed for children or not. Saint Seiya wasn't meant to be shown on the kids block on Saturdays, that's just plain crazy, and the name is written in bad English, they could've named it Zodiac Knights instead, i'm sure it's gonna be so censored that it will make no sense, i saw their presentation trailer and it's killing me, they're presenting it in the wrong way, the story doens't really follow what they say in that video. Really, why is that dic always pics the most unusual series not meant for kids and try to edit it to a 5 year old kid level?? Evil or Very Mad
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:17 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, Saint Seiya IS a kids show, much like CCS, Shaman King, and Dragonball Z. As for it's presentation on TV, well, this, Dragonball GT and Initial D have been somewhat... disturbing. But eh, the uncut version (well, not so much fo initial D) is on the DVD, if TV annoys you, then you have an alternative
Retrohelix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's the only good thing about it, the dvds, but they're being produced by ADV and not DIC. Also, SS is not a kids show, in the first 3 seasons the throw so much blood it seems they just spit it for fun, it's gonna be weird, stupid weird, but hey, that's just me.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid Saint Saiya is indeed a kids show in every meaning of the term. Blood doesn't make a show more adult. Kids in Japan are believed to be able to handle to handle blood, that's just how their culture is. In the US blood on a kids show is taboo and edited out. Dragonball Z is also very full of blood and it's a kids show too. Heh, and they actually do find themselves spitting it in that one.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I think Knights of the Zodiac is the international title specified by the publisher... it's called Les Chevaliers du Zodiaque in French, which is an exact translation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Yep, in Italian, Spanish, and French it's been Knights of the Zodiac (in their respective language). Only Japan (and now us officially) call it Saint Seiya.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Retrohelix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:15 am Reply with quote
True, japanese kids know that cartoons are no more than fiction and wont do whaterver they see. About the name, you can't make a literal translation from those languages, there was a nintendo game about it and had that exact name but it was only in Japan, i speak spanish and not for that im going to say things backwards just because it was the way they say it in spanish, but end of discussion, i just wanted to make a point, dic usually pics animations not suitable for editing, there are a lot of animations that could be passed for kids stuff, but they continuosly pick ones aimed for a little older audience and not only do they put on themselves the task of removing the original music and inventing the dialogs, but they also reduce them so much that even a 7-year-old kid cant understand it. Anyway, i have the original series in japanese, i guess all i can do is to make a list of the edited scenes and dialogs.
CrushinLionHeart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:26 am Reply with quote
.....True, DIC tends to make unwisely choises......you are right, blood isnt really a bad thing in japan, however, this was basically aimed at kids around maybe 12-14 and up.....not because of the excesive-yet-cool violence, but because the story and it characters are somewhat very adult and complex....they kill at least 3 or 5 people in each episode for godsake....I dont know but to me, as much as i hate Funimation, i would rather enjoy them getting SS than DIC(k).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, ADV is releasing an uncut dub(with their own cast) with the original Japanese version on it, so don't fret.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:57 pm Reply with quote
7 year olds can comprehend a story with more than two characters. They know what violence is, they know what consequences are, they are capable of handling themes like death and abandonment. Saint Seiya is for children. Like, ages 7+. It isn't fit for something like Nick Jr. (which is aimed at kids age 1-5), but we are talking about children's television.

Don't assume that because you like something, that means that it's aimed at you. If you're so insecure about liking a kid's show, maybe you should find something else to get in to.

-Zac
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:45 pm Reply with quote
CrushinLionHeart wrote:
.....True, DIC tends to make unwisely choises......you are right, blood isnt really a bad thing in japan, however, this was basically aimed at kids around maybe 12-14 and up

Exactly, kids around 12-14. If the target is for an audiance under 18 (adults) then it's a kids show. There's nothing wrong with liking that stuff, but don't find yourself having delusions that it's not for kids because it's got violence and blood in it (like Retrohelix thinks). By law, if you're 17 you're still a kid, that's a big range though. I don't think DIC will do much damge to the series. Times change, they're more aware now of what they can and can't alow. If they're smart they'll go by FCC guidlines rather than their own and keeps cuts and edits to a bare minimum. Plus Cartoon Network has become really easy on their expectations, I see DIC pulling an edit similar Kenshin's rather than an outright hack job like they may have done 10 years ago.

Emerje
Case

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:06 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I don't think DIC will do much damge to the series. Times change, they're more aware now of what they can and can't alow. If they're smart they'll go by FCC guidlines rather than their own and keeps cuts and edits to a bare minimum.

I dunno. Even setting Sailor Moon completely aside, their version of the Speed Racer 2000 series was pretty apalling. True to the dub of the original or not, the dubbing was rough and couldn't have been very accurate.

But they're really not an anime company per se, you know? They seem to focus on doing whatever they think will be most marketable to a broad demographic a American children - whether that involves making their own stuff, financing other people's stuff that fits their ideals, or importing foreign material and doing just about whatever they feel like doing to it. If there's anyone out there releasing anime that has not respect or understanding for it as an artform, IMO, it's DiC.

Suffice it to say that I don't think Knights of the Zodiac will come out looking very much at all like DiC's Saint Seiya. But I guess we shall just have to see. I would *like* to be wrong in that preconception, but my gambler's intuition tells me that there's just not much chance of it.
Confused

(The two versions will make a very interesting basis for comparison, though. Wholesale American broadcast anime versus modern uncut-true to form anime. Hmmm...)
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought about Speed Racer when i wrote that, but then I thought of something else. It's not just the company that impacts the series, but also where it's being broadcast. Nick is a network that shows cartoons for kids, Cartoon Network is a network that shows animation for all ages. Big difference there. Nick is very child driven, many adults don't watch their shows (I know I can't, about the only show they had worth my time was Invader Zim and they went and canceled it.), but CN follows a very abstract demographic that can range from young children to adults. Even CN's own programing such as Samurai Jack proves to be more than what would be fit for Nick. Action doesn't thrive well on Nick, and thus Speed Racer was dumbed down to a simple cartoon about a guy that races a fancy car. Granted it probably isn't the most dramatic and intelegent show in it's uncut form, but this way is exactly what Nick looks for.

Hopefully CN or atleast the folks over at WS will take some time to advise DIC on just what they can get away with and explain that their viewers are able to follow a complex story line, especially on it's SVES block where it's being matched up with shows like .Hack, Kenshin, Samurai Jack and other somewhat complex action shows. Should be interesting to see just what shows up. If we're lucky we wont end up with another Nelvana Cardcaptors situation.

Emerje
CrushinLionHeart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Dude, (Zac) chill man, i thought this was an all "freedom of speach" and ideas.......hell this is my opinion, i know what im talking about, i know i cant stop it from happening, i live in the real world, i know that DIC will most likely make the first episode out of the first 5, why? cause i've been watching them for some time now.....i said 7 cause it was the first number that came to mind.......but alright, i'll leave it till the show comes out.....then you can judge if i was right or should get burned....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:51 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this is completely anecdotal and might mean nothing, but my blog has been getting many hits from Google from people looking for information about Knights of the Zodiac. Maybe it will be a bigger hit than I thought it would be... or maybe it's all the same clueless guy that hasn't quite figured out that I mentioned the series once in passing and my blog isn't the official DiC Knights of the Zodiac site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2