• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GameStop to Close 250 Stores & Open 60-70 Stores in 2013

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
GameStop is going to be the next blockbuster, Circuit Cit, Best Buy. I I'm going to short $#%#$ out of its stock.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I am not surprised at all, fewer & fewer people seem to be willing to trade in their games for the chump-chagne GS offers them and with good reason.

Although closing 250 store and open 60-70...so really they are just losing 180-190 stores, still though, sucks for them, I feel bad for the people losing their jobs, but not for Gamestop themselves.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope my local game stop isn't one of them. I'd be surprised if it is since I live a rural town, thus everyone who lives in the area shops there first, and the next closest games stop is a good 15 miles away, but if it does unfortunately closed I'd be sad at the prospect of losing a game stop that was mere 5 minutes from my house. Oh well.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
They'll just shut down all the bottom of the barrel under performing stores. I doubt ones in secluded places will go, just areas covered in them witht that one store doing bad. The one that couldn't convince you to pre-order enough titles at or get Power Ups at...
Gamestop corporate are terrible.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
I'm interpreting this as behavior of a maturing company that previously expanded very quickly; it's trimming out some flops and sending out new shoots. Hopefully it won't crush too many competitors.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Honestly, there are too many GameStops. There's one in pretty much every shopping center around. There's easily TEN within an hour of me (and I live out in the middle of nowhere), of varying quality. Some GameStops are awesome. Some have crap. Cutting back and reorganizing should be useful. When 180 stores makes up for only 2% of your store presence, you're still in pretty good shape.

At least MovieStop isn't mentioned (knocks on wood). That's my favorite store in the world.
DQBunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
There are two GameStops in the local mall, which is very silly considering the size of the mall. One used to be an EB Games, but I am surprised they haven't shut down one of them before now.
DarkPhoenixMishima

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
I got a Gamestop in the mall and one in a plaza within walking distance of the mall.
I'd love to see one in the town by my college at the cost of one of the ones that are across the street from each other.
Tokimemofan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
They'll just shut down all the bottom of the barrel under performing stores. I doubt ones in secluded places will go, just areas covered in them witht that one store doing bad. The one that couldn't convince you to pre-order enough titles at or get Power Ups at...
Gamestop corporate are terrible.

Yeah, It is ridiculous in some areas the one in the mall in my town has one, only problem is there is another across the street and 1 block north, there is also one across the street and 2 blocks south, this is after they closed the SECOND one in the same mall. In the same area there is only 1 Starbucks, We used to have several independent video game stores, all of them closed years ago. I have to travel 50 mile one way to reach the nearest video game store that even carries PS1 games, forget about Turbografx or anything else obscure.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
I I know one thats right down the street from me and one at a mall a bit away...please don't let it be the one down the street...
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
this is what sucks about game stop model.

the store product and the online store product do not match.
with todays tech one would think they could link the two and then ship from the store for online purchase.

but with the newer models of systems not allowing used games this makes perfect sense.
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
They are probably closing some of the stores that somehow ended up right across the street/down the road from each other.

Here there are at least two pairs of stores that meet that criteria...

You can look out the window and see the other one across the street, Good for the customer but, could be cheaper for the company to just squish the two stores together and pay one rent.

There are also two GameStops that I know of that are about to open in areas that never had one to begin with...
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
I hope this is not the beginning of the closing of another store chain we have had too much of that of late. If it just a closing redunet stores that will be ok just be carefull which ones they close. Sorry for the workers that will be losing their jobs in this hard economic times that will be the real problem. Sad
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
A couple years ago, my local Gamestop closed down and a new one opened 3 blocks away. It wasn't a move to a new location, it was like opening up a brand new store for the first time with new employees. The people at the old Gamestop were pissed because they all lost their jobs.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
this is what sucks about game stop model.

the store product and the online store product do not match.
with todays tech one would think they could link the two and then ship from the store for online purchase.

It's a logistical PITA and would increase costs. Won't happen.

--//--

It's unsurprising given the state of retail gaming. Expect a downward trend even if next gen consoles allow used games. DD is getting larger and the market for packaged goods is shifting/contracting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2