• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zone Band Member Miyu Dropped by Agency

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Well, there goes the band...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
Probably wouldn't break up with her boyfriend.
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Also the band that appears in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, which they name ENOZ (ZONE in reverse). Not quite sure if the actual members sung anything or if it was just a cameo though.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Reuniting with one member missing makes somewhat of a sense, especially if it's for charity or just for a gig or two. But when two of four members are gone, I think it's time to change the name to something else.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
A decade in the business, it's time she should work for herself anyways.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
The more I learn about the Japanese music industry, the less I want to know about it. The Verge had a pretty damning story about the AKB48 scandal (if you can call it that) last week.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The more I learn about the Japanese music industry, the less I want to know about it. The Verge had a pretty damning story about the AKB48 scandal (if you can call it that) last week.
Wow, this was a really interesting editorial on J-pop idol groups (specifically the otaku-oriented girl ones). Really made hardcore otaku-dom seem even more hypocritical, misogynist, and frankly unpalatable than I normally think of it as, if that's even possible. The problem is though, how do you let the label know that it's not that you don't support that singular member, but that you don't support their practice as a whole? Any sort of boycotting seems like it wouldn't get the message across for this exact reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Thanks for the link. That was an interesting read though rather disturbing as well. Is it wrong that instead of crying and bowing down to apologize I wish these girls who get ostracized for having relationships with men would stand up for themselves and say "I'm not sorry. I feel no shame or remorse!"?? Siiiigh. It's so sad they get beaten down publicly for something normal. Crying or Very sad
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Probably wouldn't break up with her boyfriend.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw "Misconduct".

invalidname wrote:

Stay away from Korea at all costs.There's some real horror stories in that industry (prostitution, suicides...).
gorilla491

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
You know, the music industry worldwide just seems...either to loose or to tight? Another thing, the role men and women play in the world has changed and is still changing. There's just a huge variance in this all over the world. At what point is going from relationship to relationship supposed to be to much? Or...well. It's hard to explain. The dynamic is what I'm getting at.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Huh...that's pretty crazy considering how long she's been with Runtime (at least 16 years).

Over at hello-planet (which use to be one of the biggest and most active forums for English Zone fans. It's still lively there for a band that sort of existed until this), people are speculating on what's going on. Things seem to be point that Runtime didn't want to work with her anymore for some reason or another.

Also, JP fans seems to be pretty supportive of her according to posters over at hello-planet.

On a related note, Claris is also managed by Runtime.

chronos02 wrote:
Also the band that appears in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, which they name ENOZ (ZONE in reverse). Not quite sure if the actual members sung anything or if it was just a cameo though.

I think it was more of a homage than anything else.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Thanks for the link, it was interesting, but mostly kind of horrifying. Yeah, being a pop idol doesn't sound like such a sweet deal, does it?

I talked about this news with my Japanese language teacher (who is a native Japanese, probably in his 50-60's, I really can't tell and he says it's a secret) and he said it was normal. He said Japanese hate idols who have boyfriends. When I asked him why they hated them he just kept repeating something along the lines of "that's the rule" and "because it's wrong", and he said he didn't think it was weird at all, because that's how things were. I was really disturbed by the conversation because I just couldn't understand that mindset, so I just left it at that but still... maybe it's my western sensibility, but I just think this is wrong in so many ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1