• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 173 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 277 ]
Total Votes : 450

Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I lean more towards dubs. I speak English and I tend to prefer the anime to be in my own language. Besides,the words at the bottom can be distracting at times so I tend to prefer dubs over subs.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Give your rampant fanboyism a rest TitanXL....

What Keonyn said raised an order of magnitude.

Panzer Vor wrote:
I voted dubs, but the truth is, I just take whatever's available if I'm interested in a show. If a show is sub-only, then I just watch the subs. If there's an English dub available, I try to give it a chance before I decide whether to continue with it or to just go back to the original Japanese audio instead. Simple as that, really.

You're just addicted to the Panzer chicks!
commsky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I've heard amazing dubs but 80% the time that's not the case for me which is why I usually go subs.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Ignatz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
bats_souther

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Used to prefer dubs when I was younger, but for the most part I now stick to subs-I just prefer Japanese audio over English nowadays as most of English dubbed animes I watched in the past weren't of good quality. By the way, does anyone know any animes in particular that have a high quality English dub? Just curious.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not picky, both are fine
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
bats_souther wrote:
Used to prefer dubs when I was younger, but for the most part I now stick to subs-I just prefer Japanese audio over English nowadays as most of English dubbed animes I watched in the past weren't of good quality. By the way, does anyone know any animes in particular that have a high quality English dub? Just curious.

I prefer to watch the anime rather than read the subtitles.

Again, unless one can speak the language, it is an annoying distraction to read a an anime subtitle, especially when it cuts off halfway through one's reading it. I'd rather watch a so-called bad dub, than labor through subtitles.
LanceC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I always prefer subs. The voices are so much better. And this way I can learn some Japanese as well!
Saber1213

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Definitely subbed! The original Japanese language and voices (especially the females) hold a certain charm that is completely lost when an Anime is dubbed.

Thus far, the only exception I would make if I had any interest whatsoever is Pokemon. The Pokemon names in Japanese = uh-uh. But there are so many Pokemon episodes plus so many better Animes out there that I have no inclination to try.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
If I enjoy the anime I often watch both. It all comes down to what particular title. Though usually I will watch anime in its original language first and if I enjoy it enough and own it Will watch the dub as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jinxidol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
So hard to pick, I love both subs and dubs.
Bashcraft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
This is a really hard one! The problem for me is that i watch both Dubs and Subs, as i belive that some anime series are actually best watched in english. Like the fact that I would rather watch Baccano, Wolf's Rain or Cowboy Bebop in english, bacause of the amazing voice cast.

Ofcourse the reverse is also true for series like Azumanga Daioh or Sailor Moon (The swedish dub of sailor moon though is really good).

Another reason for me liking dubs is that i don't have to sit around reading a bunch of subtitles and instead only focus on the visual of the seires.

So since most of my favorite anime series are best watched in dubbed forum, acording to me at least and the subtitles thing, my vote goes to dubs!
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Someday there will be Dububs where all characters speak the language from their native countries. Of course, by that time we'll all be 1/4 Chinese....
JuniorMintKiss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Dub, but I really enjoy Subs on particular titles. I prefer Dub if I want to watch something, but I need to work on something at the same time, like my crocheting or cross-stitching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
To each his or her own, but if it's japanese spoken only I'm not buying it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 15