• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing's English Cast, Trailer

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
wow, that is a very large cast.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Cool trailer, dig the music. I was wondering who they were gonna get to voice Dio... Greg Ayres should be cool. Looking forward to this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I've avoided this since I heard it was a trainwreck as a sequel and I loved Last Exile. But, oooh, Monica Rial and Gwendolyn Lau!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Most certainly not a train wreck. The main character is pretty lame, but that's just something it shared with the first series. I actually like Fam the Silver Wing quite a bit more than Last Exile. It had a lot more world building and it wasn't nearly as incoherent.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I got past episode 6 on this. The writing was all over the place and it had a bunch of unnecessary otaku pandering in it.

I was kind of interested to see if Funi would get back any of the original voice cast, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not that they really needed to, it was a decent dub, but not worth going out of their way to bring them all back.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I assumed the thing Michelle Ruff said she was working on for Funimation was this, but since it isn't, perhaps it is the new Lupin series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I assumed the thing Michelle Ruff said she was working on for Funimation was this, but since it isn't, perhaps it is the new Lupin series.

Yup!

She also said that Chris Sabat was directing the anime she was working on and since he's also not listed here at all, it has to be Fujiko Mine.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
The box art looks more like Last Exile than any of the new characters did; Fam never had the aesthetics of Last Exile, making it hard not only to see how the two series fit together but even if it's the same planet.

Which is kind of dumb. Still, it was daring to make an entirely new cast instead of returning to the story of the old ones. Mullin...

Dumb, really dumb but daring.

Bottom line: If I tried watching this again {Hey, I only made it to episode 6 as well}, I'd be better off watching merely Fam, the Silver Wing.

Good cast, good music on the trailer. Kind of makes me want to watch it. Just "kind of"...
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
This cast is massive there's 77 roles that are up there and if you want to get specific and remove younger roles, there are a whopping 69 characters.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Cool trailer, dig the music. I was wondering who they were gonna get to voice Dio... Greg Ayres should be cool. Looking forward to this.

Yup, cannot wait to watch this again with the dub.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I watched the whole series when it was streamed, and was a little disappointed --- I'd just re-watched Last Exile a few months before.

But.... that trailer brings back the magic, reminding me of how the show had a lot that really was quite good. I'll buy it when it comes out.
TG72

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
My main complaints: 1.spoiler[It teased and then skimped on the return of Claus and Lavie. They don't play a meaningful part in the story or even speak to any of the new characters Confused Mad ]2.spoiler[They spend so much time hyping the Grand Race, then only show us about a minute (mostly still shots).]

I did like the world building, flying action and seeing spoiler[some of the supporting cast from the first LE get a good amount of screentime/plot]

I hope FUNI posts a few dub episodes soon. Carrie Savage is an interesting choice as Millia; I look forward to hearing her do something different. Also glad to see Duncan Brannan reappear as Samurai 7 bows out from Toonami...

Last edited by TG72 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I don't think I got past episode 6 on this. The writing was all over the place and it had a bunch of unnecessary otaku pandering in it.
Please tell me this is hyperbole. I really had my doubts about the series already and statements like this aren't exactly reassuring.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow. FUNimation sure loves Jad Saxon...

It is great to see Kara Edwards listed. She needs to be in more anime.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
(As Walter) GODDAMN IT!

How the hell hard is it to get Michelle Ruff back to voice Alvis and Tatiana? It's not Last Exile unless you have all the VAs from the first season for every character who shows up in both shows.

They also need to get Jim Ross and recorde a play-by-play commentary track for both audio tracks. BAH GAWD THAT BATTLESHIP'S BROKEN IN HALF!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4