• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comedy anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickymofo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
A year went by without any recommendations huh...
Welp, my list:

FMP Fumoffu - In my opinion, this anime is the "comedy done right". There is a problem of having to watch the first season if you want to follow the story but once you understand it, you don't need to worry about plot, character development, and other un-comedic elements and just sit back and enjoy the show.

Golden Boy/Great Teacher Onizuka - well they are pretty much the same thing isn't it?

Seto no Hanayome - if you liked this type of comedy, you might want to check out Nagasarete Airantou if you can handle the barrage of nosebleeding scenes (ecchi).

Cromartie High School - Pretty much Lucky Star with delinquents and more angled face shots than you can handle.

K-on - Type of humor in this anime is not exactly a LOL humor but more of a good chuckle humor. But you will be watching through this with a smile on your face all through out.[/b]
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I am going to mention an older series Tenchi Muyo for the younger gen that may not know about it, also I agree with Scamp - Hetalia Axis Powers is a hilarious play on stereotypical ethnicity by "bashing" just remember its all in fun and in no way meant to truly offend. Also Sgt Frog which at first I thought was going to be stupid but it's funny than heck the crazy zany things Keroro does.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo was only funny back then.

If ur a fan of mecha(or an anti fan), Martian Successor Nadesico is the show to watch. It makes fun of mecha but still has a very good plot and since it was made in the mid 90's, it doesnt have cheesy, T and A jokes we see today. It's funny as hell, interesting as heaven and only 26 eps. So its gold right there people
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
KenIchi the Mightiest Disciple: I died laughing. This series is a hilarious martial arts series about a wimp (KenIchi) who falls for a beautiful transfer student, only to find out that she's an absoulute master of hand-to-hand combat. So of course to try to impress her he decides to learn martial arts. Not helping things of course is his school mate who looks like an alien, his self-proclaimed friend Nijima who sets Kenichi up for fights and then ditches him.

Trigun: Great gunslingin' western about Vash The Stampede who has a 60 billion double dollar bounty on his head. Too bad the poor guy hates fighting and just wants to be able to eat donuts in peace.

FLCL: Not your normal type of humor, or your normal type of show. This is a pretty unique and funny OVA that's pretty insane. Fans of Excel saga will most likely appreciate this.
MeatBattery000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Okay, I hope no one minds if I resurrect this thread, but I'm just now starting to get back into anime and I need a little help finding something to appease my light-hearted side.
You see it's easy for me to find anime that will satiate my darker side but I'm unable to find an anime that makes me both laugh and care about the characters.
In fact I have only found three so far that have made me really laugh while also making me care about the characters. Those shows being: School Rumble, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and ToraDora (I know, I know, ToraDora spoiler[Becomes pretty much a straight up romance towards the end, but that's OK because it still made me laugh and by the time the comedy disappeared I already cared so much about the characters that I didn't even mind.)]
You see, I find plenty of anime out there that is supposed to be a comedy, but of all the ones I've seen none of them have made me care about the characters. I've heard alot about Azumanga Daio, but everytime I try to watch that. . . I kinda feel like a girl. . . I don't why, considering I truly enjoyed ToraDora which is kinda "girly" in retrospect, but for some reason, I just am able to get past that with that show. I guess it's just an exception for me because under normal circumstances I can never get over that feeling. Aaaaand now I'm rambling, sorry.
So, if anyone can tell me about another anime out there that is in the same vein as either of the aforementioned three (well, maybe not quite as melodramatic as ToraDora mind you, that's not to say I don't want there to be any romance, just not as. . . Well, melodramtic) I would truly appreciate it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
MeatBattery000 wrote:
In fact I have only found three so far that have made me really laugh while also making me care about the characters. Those shows being: School Rumble, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and ToraDora

I have a few suggestions of comedies with strong characterizations that are not in the slice-of-life style of shows like Azumanga Daioh or Hidamari Sketch.

My first choice would be Welcome to the NHK! The opening few episodes rely more on otaku-oriented humor, but the more complex and darker parts of the story soon kick in. From then on it's as much a character drama as it is a wacky comedy. Few shows do as good a job of balancing comedy and drama as NHK does.

Oh! Edo Rocket satirizes political repression and xenophobia through the vehicle of an ahistorical science-fiction story set in 1843-44 Edo. The cast is extremely lovable, even some of villains. spoiler[I eventually even felt bad for La Blue Beast and maybe even a bit for Akai.] It's not a pretentious show by any means, though, and oftentimes extremely funny.

Level E is a very funny show, though because it is a collection of short story arcs, there aren't many continuing characters other than the Prince and his collection of handlers. The Prince himself is worth the price of admission.

Finally, I'll suggest three shows with stronger slice-of-life features, but not the "cute-school-girls-doing-cute-things" variety. Usagi Drop is a lovely show about a 30-yo man who begins raising his grandfather's illegitimate five-year-old daughter after the old man dies. Lots of cute scenes but leavened with more serious issues like the problems facing single parents, and single fathers in particular. Kurenai similarly has a young girl being placed in the care of an older male, though in this case the caretaker is just sixteen. There's some drama and fighting in this show along with some very witty dialogues. Finally, I'll suggest Ikoku Meiro no Croisee about a sixteen-year-old Japanese girl who travels to late 19th century Paris to work as the shop girl for an ironmonger. Much of the comedy in this show focuses on culture clash issues and how the characters grow to understand and accept each others' different perspectives.
MeatBattery000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, guys. Those all sound promising, especially Maid sama and the one about culture clashing (which I'm always a fan of).
On a sidenote, are you telling me Taiga is just a character archtype?
Man, I have been away from anime for a long time is a Pi*sed-off short girl has become - what's the word? "Moe?"
Ah, well, I still love ya Taiga.
Anyway, thanks again guys.
judedudemude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
There a difference from the Japanese and eng dub.
This Anime was intended to be for kids but re-dub for more mature content.

Fart, Smex and stuff on that line of comedy plane are here in this anime and most of it comes out of the kid's mouth (like 83% of it)

Shin is butt/anal obessed 5 year old who has a crush on his adult neighbor while his childhoood friend penny (slightly less foul mouth) fights the multi-million heir named ai (age 5) for his love
. Some of his strange activities include dressing up (often as an animal), mooning and drawing an elephant's face on his skin, to make his "Mr. Elephant" look more like an Elephant. He also makes trouble for others and then criticizes their efforts in covering for him. In general, he is brutally honest, highly curious, and has no shame whatsoever, which includes getting rid of his clothes at the earliest opportunity. There have been several instances in which his antics actually solved the problems of those around him. He also displays a surprising amount of talent at various activities including kendo and swimming. On rare occasions, he displays bouts of selfless kindness (for example, in one anime episode he saved a frog from a truck on a rainy day, getting all wet and dirty in the process and risking Misae's ire since it was his last set of clean clothes.

there gorge who is a left wing kind of guy

maso who in a award stage (or everyone think he is) maso doesnt not where he is in the closet or outside basking in the sun

the comedy can be consider low brow but cover everything under the sun certain US stars/celeb are prime targets for the butts of their jokes no one know if these were intentially jokes or just stuff running of the tongue of the characters

but if you like comedies this is one to watch

then sgt. flog english dub is like shin chan english dub but in their own special way

i recomend both of these to you guys!
T.H.O.L.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
I have been absent for the most part from the anime life since 2007 when my deployments went into overdrive. I would like to get back in now that I finished my last tour but my goodness, I am very behind and new to this whole ANN forum thing. So if you could help me in the right direction. I want to get into comedy. Just to list a few favorites are as follows before 2008:

Golden Boy (DUB)
Oreimo (SUB)
Negima!? (DUB)
DearS (SUB)
D.N.A.2 (SUB)

I love the comedic awkward moments and misunderstandings. That list is just what I can think at this time of night. I really am thankful for your help. Oh yeah, that style anime from 2008 - 2012.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like romantic comedies with some fanservice are your thing. Here's a couple recent shows you might like:

Waiting in the Summer- This show is a summer whirlwind romance. Fanservice is minimal, but it can be pretty funny. It is about an alien girl who has come to Earth to search for something. She ends up living with the main character, Kaito, for the summer.

Baka and Test- This show is pure silliness, but it's pretty fun. Akihisa attends a school where everything is determined by your grades. The people with the poorest grades (Class F) in the school get the worst school supplies, worst classroom, and empty crates for desks. But they have a chance to earn better supplies by challenging other classes to a war in certain subjects (eg. math, science, etc).

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia- This show starts off hilarious, but gets more serious as it goes on. The main character, Teiichi, is one of the only people who can see the ghost of Yuuko, a girl who was murdered in his school 60 years ago. Together they create a supernatural research club to find out how and why Yuuko died (as the title says, she has amnesia about how she died).

To Love-Ru- This might be the most up your alley out of these 4. This is a romantic comedy with plenty of fanservice about a high school boy named Rito. One day the alien Lala shows up in his house and declares she will marry him to get out of marrying one of the people her father picked out for her. But Rito already has a crush on Haruna, a shy girl in his class. Things get even more out of hand when Lala's presence on Earth brings an intergalactic bounty hunter and her twin sisters into the mix.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Great Teacher Onizuka's one of my all time favorites, the way they draw the faces on that show are absolutly hilarious, and the running gag with the Vice Principals Cresta, PRICELESS! But while its really funny its got a lot of touching scenes that show how wonderful of a teacher he is, even though he is a former gang member, and a horndog.
escape_reality

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuru Yuri gave me some good laughs, pure humour, perfect after a serious anime. However it may be offensive to some or be thought of as pure stupid lol
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
How about Detroit Metal City? I mean, come on. The premise is a kid who wants to play Swedish pop but in the meantime 'sings' about death, rape, etc. in a metal band, pretty much against his will. Oh yeah, he does guitar solos with his teeth, abuses the 'Pig of Capitalism' (an overweight balding guy in bondage), and is just generally obscene...against his will. I don't think I've laughed as genuinely and consistently at any piece of animation that I viewed alone* as I have at this show. I've rewound certain bits three or four times in a row.

*People laughing make me laugh. I can't help it.
cydarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Well...there's one of anime comedies I do enjoy the most.

Sora no Otoshimoto: I do enjoy several scenes, which I'm dying laughing. spoiler[The flying bird-like panties, Tomoki's own perverted song at the school's concert, Ikaros checks out head yakuza baldness(Tomoki and Sorhara thought they're in serious trouble, but the old fart is quite liking to Ikaros), Sorhara got back-fired with explosion panties that she cast-card on...hehe...and hilarious scene of all...hehehehe...Dream-dive in Sorhara's perverted dream. HAHAHAHAHA....omg....Even though that Sorhara can't stand of Tomoki's pervertness(I was thinking of have him being the top 5 anime perverted characters), but she still have feelings for him that they're both childhood friends.][/spoiler]
Vracer111

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Ok, the situation of 2 of the most hilarious anime titles not being mentioned has to be rectified!

Dai-Guard A giant mecha spoof anime on a budget...meaning what do you do when the city is being attacked by space monsters and you have a Mecha designed as more of a prop/marking sales pitch for a penny pinching and bureaucratic security corporation who owns it, won't give it up to the military, and has to worry about lawsuits and the like from collateral damage. Budget's so tight they have electric fans with streamers to [try to] keep them cool in the cockpit. Then you have crazy R&D girl who designs non standard weapons for the mecha. English dub is just awesome and how it should be watched, the sub just doesn't compare!

Muteki Kanban Musume (Ramen Fighter Miki) Ramen shop poster/delivery girl (Miki) doesn't get along with the bakery girl across the street, since childhood. Miki is a force to be reckoned with, but her Mom is to be feared! Physical slapstick comedy at it's finest along with some side splitting one liners....I seriously can't think of an outright overall funnier show; Gintama and FMP: Fumoffu are right there though.

The serious oversight has now been corrected, thanks for your cooperation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6