• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where to buy manga in Japanese...?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dovienya

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Where I live we have no bookstore that carries manga in japanese language (excepting borders and their ridiculous $13 crap) and I was wondering where online I could buy manga in japanese for a halfway decent price and (most importantly) decent shipping prices.

Any help would be appreciated ^^
hikaru393

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
i buy my japanese manga from a guy on ebay he has a lot of series like one piece,detective conan,fullmetal alchemist,death note and other's his store is mkbooks on ebay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I've had a lot of luck with Sasuga Books. It's a Japanese bookstore located in the greater Boston area, although the actual store hours are extremely limited in nature. However, if you don't live in the greater Boston area, that really isn't an issue. I think his prices are reasonable, as they are certainly lower than the Borders, umm...gouging. ^_^

You could also try Akadot. They carry both Japanese and English translated series, and if they don't have something in their catalog they'll special order it for you if you ask.

Another possibility would be checking into Kinokuniya online. I haven't done too much looking around on that venue, but it can't hurt any.

And, as hikaru393 mentioned, eBay is another potential venue, although it can also be a bit of a crap shoot, depending on what you're looking for. I've had some decent luck in finding things, especially with their request feature. As usual, the typical eBay caveats apply, although not nearly as much as they do for anime.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
You can also try yesasia.com (they have a based in the US) which has a fairly decent price and free shipping worldwide with purchase of 25 or more (like 3 or 4 books). Yesasia is one of the largest tri-asia outlet out there, so they are pretty well known.
shinagawa

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Junkudo Japanese book store

Paris 1st
Rue des Pyramides subway lines 7 and 14 Very Happy
dovienya

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
ShadrachAnki - Thank you very much, this helps very much. I will definitely keep Akadot and Sasuga in mind (but neither of them have the exact series I am looking for QQ ... that is what I get for trying to find obscure manga -__-;;; ). Kinokuniya seems to work (but my parents don't speak Japanese, I hope I can convince them to buy from there). Thank you so much!!

Darkhunter - I didn't even think of YesAsia *facepalm* Thank you for suggesting it ^^

Shinagawa - Junkudo has... everything. Wow. Do you know if they ship to the US?

Thank you!
shinagawa

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
I don't know I think that jukudo is international
but in France (especially Paris) it is easy to find manga store with Manga in Japanese.
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
I don't think decent prices are going to happen, unless you get really lucky. If you get it out of Japan, shipping could turn a $3 title to a $15 purchase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Wakaiba wrote:
I don't think decent prices are going to happen, unless you get really lucky. If you get it out of Japan, shipping could turn a $3 title to a $15 purchase.

It's not always that bad.

I generally order through amazon.co.jp, and in my experience, the total price (including shipping and customs duties.... grr, customs duties!) amounts to approximately three times the list price in Japan.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manveri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy Japanese manga, but I get it in Chinese (can't understand Japanese Smile ) Kinokuniya has a good selection of both, for $6 or something, don't quite remember how expensive it is.
I think you can also order manga in Japanese from the english Amazon, if you don't want to order from the Japanese site.
Urd

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
shinagawa wrote:
I don't know I think that jukudo is international
but in France (especially Paris) it is easy to find manga store with Manga in Japanese.

Although it's really expensive. Confused

I buy my japanese manga on : http://www.amazon.co.jp
Destiny200200

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
last time i checked you could get mangas in japenese in waldens bookstore in noth country mall well where i live anyways in cali esco
dimwitted0ne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
www.kikiwai.com

I'm pretty sure you can order online. But it's based in Toronto... seeing how you're in the States, this might not be the best option for you.
They're very good with their products though and they have a pretty large collection of Japanese manga. If you're the kind of person who cares about the condition of your manga, kikiwai keeps them very nice. =)
megaman2040

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I get my manga, in Japanese from the Kinokuniya in Beaverton, Or. and it has a fairly good selection of manga. I can find almost any manga that I want there. even sometimes the english version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Also, large anime conventions usually have vendors in attendence who sell manga in Japanese. If that would be something you were interested in going to (I highly recommend it, the con experience is really quite fun).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2