• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
International licensing news on the front page

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see UK and Australia (and other English Language) on the front page?
Yes
34%
 34%  [ 24 ]
Yes - but only for otherwise unlicensed titles
41%
 41%  [ 29 ]
Not particularly, but it wouldn't bother me
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
No, this would bother me (a distraction from other content on the front page or something like that)
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 70

The Count

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather you continue to post licensing news only relate to that region. There is a gaming site (siliconera) that lumps all there news together regardless of what region it pertains to which has confused me many times. If you had a filter or something I'd be fine with that but if not browsing will be far easier and faster if I know every article is directed at my region.
AngkorWhat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
I would like to see shows licensed in Australia and the UK on the front page with everything as it will help me know which countries I can get specific anime from.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
I'll give an Australian perspective. We see all news and reviews from the US, some reviews from the UK but no news from the UK.

The licencing news from the US (in particular) and the UK is really important to me as I like to import stuff I can't get here in Oz. I know I'd import anime from the UK if the releases were in the news section that I could see.

(A couple of weeks ago I filled two giant holes in my collection with imports from America - Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei - only to read here at ANN in the last 24 hours that Sony Australia had acquired the local licence. D'oh!)

Until a little while back, Australians couldn't see the links to ANN USA reviews. It was particularly galling to have to use backdoor routes to read them. Thankfully that has now changed. I suspect, however, that people in the US cannot see ANN Australia reviews due to the lack of comments on the ANN Australia talkback pages.

As a test, on the Mind Game encyclopaedia page can you Americans see the link to the Australian review of the locally released DVD (between Trivia and News)?

I think all ANN readers should not only see all local release news but also all local anime and manga reviews.

(The US Serial Experiments Lain is the most amazing value for money releases I know - around AU$50 plus postage and includes a 300 page artbook!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

I think all ANN readers should not only see all local release news but also all local anime and manga reviews.

Speaking as the editor for the US side of editorial content, I have no desire to suddenly be responsible for editing and curating all the UK and AU reviews. More importantly, I don't have the time. That stuff operates independently of me because it has to, and so long as it isn't butting in to my content here, I'm fine with that.

The way it works now is perfectly fine. You get the reviews that are relevant to your area, and also the stuff I'm responsible for.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
...You get the reviews that are relevant to your area, and also the stuff I'm responsible for.

And it's appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
On the flipside of our two Aussie correspondents thus far, I would appreciate seeing AU news on the UK side since it often has a direct effect on the UK market (most UK companies source PAL masters from Australia). While I generally hear anything interesting through other channels (i.e. WTK), at present I only notice ANN|AU news if I happen to catch a tweet from @ann_au or someone posts to a talkback thread making the AU forum section light up.

(PS: to my knowledge there is no ANN|UK news feed on twitter)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
As a test, on the Mind Game encyclopaedia page can you Americans see the link to the Australian review of the locally released DVD (between Trivia and News)?

I see the AU review.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
errinundra wrote:

Speaking as the editor for the US side of editorial content, I have no desire to suddenly be responsible for editing and curating all the UK and AU reviews. More importantly, I don't have the time. That stuff operates independently of me because it has to, and so long as it isn't butting in to my content here, I'm fine with that.

The way it works now is perfectly fine. You get the reviews that are relevant to your area, and also the stuff I'm responsible for.
This is literally all you ever talk about, usually in as shrill, nasty and insulting a manner as possible. You've been doing it for years. I learned to tune you out a long time ago. Keep on raging, pal.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
I think Zac may have misunderstood the proposal. Based on what he wrote, he seems to think people are asking for UK and AU REVIEWS to be made available on the US site, whereas what people are talking about is only NEWS about UK and AU license announcement/releases. And, in some cases, people are only talking about those items that haven't already been released in North America as opposed to every single announcement.

I admit, I'd find this helpful, but WTK provides this service in the retail forum which I faithfully read every day, plus, anyone who is really interested can visit the UK or AU versions of ANN where I assume these announcements are reported.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
In any case, Dessa has answered my question. US readers can see the links to UK and Oz reviews on the encyclopaedia pages.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Zac wrote:
errinundra wrote:

This is literally all you ever talk about, usually in as shrill, nasty and insulting a manner as possible. You've been doing it for years. I learned to tune you out a long time ago. Keep on raging, pal.

such a sick burn, using my own words against me!!

And yeah I think I misread the proposal, apologies.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm starting to think this should extend beyond just AU and UK. In Taiwan they are releasing Only Yesterday on BD with English subs. I'm sure there's about a metric shit ton of people that would love to know this. A $30 price tag from TW is a lot easier to swallow than the $55 it'd cost getting it straight from JP.

Not very many titles outside of the US, UK, and AU get English subs or dubs, but maybe we shouldn't limit it only to just those countries and consider English releases from anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
So, I'm starting to think this should extend beyond just AU and UK.

*Cough* Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'd love to be able to add Japanese/R3 releases, even if it was just ones with english sub and/or dub

I'd also hate to have something else added to my todo list (although WTK has already done some of the work).

(I'd selfishly like to change all the manual entries on My Collection to proper release links, but I've barely made inroads on the UK ones as it is...)

--edit--

Here's a thought - there's currently a button on the UK site to show only UK news. How about buttons across all three sites that toggle news from all three regions on and off at will?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's a thought - there's currently a button on the UK site to show only UK news. How about buttons across all three sites that toggle news from all three regions on and off at will?

That's way more effort than required. There doesn't need to be buttons added or toggling required. All that's needed is reporting so the news can hit the front page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3