• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Battle Girls Gone Wild

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Its been a long time since i watched shangri-la, but i remember i was very underwhelmed, and it was kind of a forgettable show. I have no desire to revisit it.
I might check out the Baka and Test OVA as i watched the entire first season and i feel like i should just watch these last episodes for completions sake.
And the rv cupcakes sound awesome.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
That Sengoku Otome cover looks like an erodoujin. The show was fairly wholesome aside from some skimpy clothing, I don't remember any nudity in the TV broadcast.

Quote:
but also the setup for Yet Another Show Featuring Oda Nobunaga.

This came a year before Oda Nobuna and Sengoku Collection, streamed even. So this "overreaction - yet not really" isn't deserved even if the show isn't good. Prior to this, things remotely starring Oda Nobunaga were Sengoku Basara, The Time Stranger (Toki no Taibibito), Black Lion, and Yotoden.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say that Bamboo's assessment of Shangri-la is pretty accurate, even though I'm enough of a fan to have bought a few of the disks in R2 form (and have now gone out and gotten the R1 release), I have a Kuniko figure, and even have the manga (which is quite different) and the novel (laid aside for the time when I can read Japanese well enough to get through a novel).

There's maybe a third thread to the series: the strange, almost fourth-wall violating, games played with otaku culture. Not just the Three Akihabara Amigos (and their garage-kit figure of spoiler[Kuniko's grandmother-as-youthful idol]), but also Karen's leveraged buy-out of Neo-Akhihabara. (I also think there's a bit of deliberate tongue-in-cheek going on with a cartwheeling heroine in a mini-skirt and very careful avoidance of panty-shots.)

But I think Bamboo is right to be disappointed in the slap-dash mysto-babble used to wrap up the ending. The show did a good job while it was manipulating carbon markets and otaku expectations, but then stumbled when the denouement was wrapped in carbon-fiber nanofilament ley-lines.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday, Bamboo! My sister and I were rolling over your cupcake story. Being a grownup sure is awesome (well, except for dealing with grownup consequences later...)

The first ep of Battle Girls was entertaining enough as a troll showing for Time Travel Night at the anime club Laughing, but didn't feel a need to watch more than that. Haven't seen any of Baka & Test, but your description of what you enjoyed about the main series sounds intriguing enough to try when we have more time.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That Sengoku Otome cover looks like an erodoujin. The show was fairly wholesome aside from some skimpy clothing, I don't remember any nudity in the TV broadcast.

There was quite a bit of uncensoring in the BD version, including loli nudity. Its not really too wholesome if you're watching the home video version.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
You can hardly blame Shangri-la for its ending though. I find most Gonzo shows have an interesting premise before they jump-the-shark in the final rush of episodes. It primarily seems to be because Gonzo have the habit of leaving a lot (all) of the plot revelations to those final episodes and it always gets messy, often far too many inexplicable things happen.

Some of the series survive the carnage, some don't. The series that don't suffer from this problem seem to be those where Gonzo kept the plot simple, e.g. Strike Witches.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting for Sentai to release their entire Girl Fight Blu-Ray Collection, featuring all the series they've released that they included the words *insert martial adjective* "Girls."
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday Bamboo. ^^

I think I will refrain from the obvious naughty comment that would warrant a Beavis and Butthead laugh here. XP

dboypr wrote:
I also have a video game collection which I included since its kind of tied with anime as most of them are rpgs with anime style characters and the figures that you see are almost all from limited edition video games.

Excellent choice. :3
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I can honestly say myself and the person in the shelf life collection would get along well because we have alot of the same shows and games.

Question. Are those the premium sets of the NIS releases? The look kind of like books are something. The shape is really odd, and as you can see in the shelf they are kind of hard to put in shelves due to the size.

Also what is the show to the left of golden boy, 4 volumes with a pinkish hue?
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Also what is the show to the left of golden boy, 4 volumes with a pinkish hue?

The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I think it was Shangri-La which solidified my distaste for the "series starts off with science but it all turns out to be magic in the end" twist/trope that thankfully I don't come across very often but annoys me. I remember feeling that all of the mystical things near the end were just superfluous, they had developed an interesting setting without it and I just wished that they had used that instead of magic to resolve the series, however it ended since I honestly can't recall anymore.
dboypr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Question. Are those the premium sets of the NIS releases? The look kind of like books are something. The shape is really odd, and as you can see in the shelf they are kind of hard to put in shelves due to the size.

Yeah CK, those are the IS premium sets, and like you said their a pain to fit in a normal shelf but I love them just as they are. Anyway I'm glad we have similar taste in shows and i hope to see some of your collection someday.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Shangri-La sounds like a very Gonzo show, viȝ. a mess.

This seems to be a key element of Gonzo's 'house style', which is an unfortunate consistency. It always seems like they jotted a lot of ideas, some very neat, down, but didn't take the time to organize them, tie them together and lay how they would appear in and interact with the story down. As such, they seem as though they forget some until too late, lose track of others and end up frantically piling them up wherever they can fit them. It dulls the effect, baffles the audience and hurts the quality of the series.

Points off for organization and see the teacher after class.

Battle Girls Time Paradox... if only we'd known that it was a harbinger. Oh well, at least it lacks, so far as I know, boob bouncing through a metal breastplate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Battle Girls Time Paradox... if only we'd known that it was a harbinger. Oh well, at least it lacks, so far as I know, boob bouncing through a metal breastplate.

eh, kinda hard to remember, but I think Nobunaga does occasionally bounce a bit in her metal bikini chestplate.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I hated Shangri-La before it was cool.[/hipster]

I dropped it after the first half of the first episode. It was clearly trash, so consider me perplexed as to why people held out hope (that it would get better) for so long. The second half should not have been a disappointment to anyone who had watched the first half. I am not surprised in the least to learn that Gonzo had no clue what they were doing with this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4