• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Outside Areas of purchase Anime and Japaneese Products

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betaclone666

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 am Reply with quote
What is everyone's definition of what terms as Supporting the industry ?
I used to think supporting Anime and Manga was to buy it . But in recent years in the country I'm living in (Ireland) Most people believe supporting anime all you need is to watch the shows . But not to buy the products becuase there is no trickle down money going to Japan due sub licencing from England . I like holding on to some properties because I hold a special feeling towards the item mostly anime films ghost in a shell , akira, ninja scroll etc. I find it harder to support the industry especially when at a national convention Nom-Con I asked the special guests Ex Owner of Geneon and a worker of Anime on demand telling me not to get in the industry. Now I wasnt asking from a voice actor side which I would like to do but very hard to get into (unions and lack of specialized training) But from my trained industry Social and Interactive media - University Cert in Information Technology with a Minor in Communications , Fetac in Ebussiness and Interactive Multimedia Production .
Does any one have any comments
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
For one thing, it depends where you are watching the shows - fansubs and dodgy streaming sites provide no support. There is also little money made in streaming so buying licensed product is the best way to support the shows you like.
The UK and Ireland market for anime is tiny; there are only a few people working at each of the local companies. I don't believe it is the most financially rewarding of areas to work in either, and not exactly the most stable - look how many companies have closed or collapsed recently (in the UK alone there was ADV and Beez).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1