• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Section23 Films June 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Shame Tari Tari isn't on BluRay, P.A. Works anime are made to be seen in HD.
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I agree. Kill Me Baby being DVD only is not a big deal, as that show doesn't have enough visual detail for it to benefit much, but for something like Tari Tari, you're going to want to watch it in BD quality in order to fully experience the visuals is has to offer.

This has me more than a little worried about the currently still unlicensed Hyouka anime series as well. Sentai has a history of picking up many of Kyoto Animation's series, so i wouldn't be surprised if they went for that one too. Considering the slow-paced dialog-heavy nature of the show, i'm however not at all convinced it would get the BD + dub treatment. I'm kind of hoping that NISA will be the company that acquires the Hyouka license, as they do sub-only BD all the time.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I agree. Kill Me Baby being DVD only is not a big deal, as that show doesn't have enough visual detail for it to benefit much, but for something like Tari Tari, you're going to want to watch it in BD quality in order to fully experience the visuals is has to offer.

... and they didn't want to dub it {I don't blame them; A singing anime that's serious? Tough ground to cover, really} so no BD release. It's pretty simple. I don't see the surprise here.

Dusk Maiden and Mysterious Girlfriend X get BD releases/dubs, Sentai gets a little backpay to dub Kill Me Baby! while Tari Tari {Saw it. Meh} is lucky to get released at all. All is right with world and Sentai has some releases I'm actually interested in. It's been, seven months or so, it was about time.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

... and they didn't want to dub it {I don't blame them; A singing anime that's serious? Tough ground to cover, really} so no BD release. It's pretty simple. I don't see the surprise here.

This release will mark the first time Sentai doesn't release a P.A. Works series on BD. You're right about the difficulty of creating a dub for that kind of show, but it seems to me like Tari Tari would have been the perfect title to test the market with a sub-only BD release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
And it's not like their "dub means BD" policy is exactly strict, considering KMB's release, regardless of the circumstances surrounding why it happened. Is BD authoring still that much more prohibitive than DVD?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And it's not like their "dub means BD" policy is exactly strict, considering KMB's release, regardless of the circumstances surrounding why it happened. Is BD authoring still that much more prohibitive than DVD?

They have specifically said in the past that they won't put out a BD release without a dub, but they will dub some shows for DVD-only releases, such as Book of Bantorra and Golgo 13. It all depends on the nature of the show, it seems.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I know it's their guideline and how dare I argue against it, but I don't see why it can't be flexible. Their BD and DVD releases as they are now only go ten dollars apart, or twenty for sub-only DVDs. So why not place a sub-only BD right in the middle? Looking at NISA and Aniplex, it doesn't seem to be a death knell for a show's sales...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I know it's their guideline and how dare I argue against it, but I don't see why it can't be flexible. Their BD and DVD releases as they are now only go ten dollars apart, or twenty for sub-only DVDs. So why not place a sub-only BD right in the middle? Looking at NISA and Aniplex, it doesn't seem to be a death knell for a show's sales...

It's not about the release, it's about where it's sold or maybe how. NISA and AoA have their market and Funimation, Viz and, so far, Sentai have theirs. The last three sell dubbed BDs at the same price as undubbed BDs of NISA, AoA is in a world of their own.

The problem is that Sentai wants pieces of both markets {I can't figure out why as they don't do Special Editions} so they release Sub only DVDs that are only available online {not that I've seen that many Sentai releases in stores but I have seen them}. They can sell them cheap, most likely because of their dub sales {This is just a projection of mine but I think they straightened out their company around the time they rereleased Clannad with a dub and they used that as a lesson}.

To put it simply, there's no advantage for them to release DVD and BDs of anime they wont dub. It just cuts decreased sales down further.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
Sentai doesn't offer special editions because for the most part, they do things really, really on the cheap. From the artifacting in their DVDs, to the multiple typos in their subs, to the barebones packaging and usage of spindle cases, Sentai's main goal is to get it licensed and get it out onto shelves as soon as they can while taking as many shortcuts as possible. And that all goes without even bringing up their "infamous" dubs.

They are getting better, however. Their release of Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is the closest Sentai has ever gotten to a truly "special" edition of one of their titles, what with the inclusion of two full-length audio CDs, the original director's commentary, and more. Still, they've got a ways to go.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the name of the game for wanting BD content is "better hope NISA gets it".
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of perplexed upon learning that Tari Tari is going to be a sub only release. But after reading some posts and learning that Kids on the Slope, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and Mysterious Girlfriend X have been licensed in Australia, I have concluded that Sentai wants to do BD releases only if it can sell the dub to other English licensors.

It is a shame. If I were Sentai, I would seriously think about offering more expensive (SRP $100) BD and dubbed sets to ensure recouping the production costs.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

It is a shame. If I were Sentai, I would seriously think about offering more expensive (SRP $100) BD and dubbed sets to ensure recouping the production costs.

Yeah, that would go over like a fart in church. People are always complaining about how prices are too high. If someone raised their prices, I'd hate to see the commotion that caused.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The problem is that Sentai wants pieces of both markets {I can't figure out why as they don't do Special Editions} so they release Sub only DVDs that are only available online {not that I've seen that many Sentai releases in stores but I have seen them}. They can sell them cheap, most likely because of their dub sales {This is just a projection of mine but I think they straightened out their company around the time they rereleased Clannad with a dub and they used that as a lesson}.

Sentai Filmworks releases can be found in store (B&M). While having a dub can enhance its chance of getting carries at select Best Buy store, there are still regional B&M stores for FRYs, FYE, and Hastings that carry either formats. Obviously it's YMMV on title selection depending on where you live. But to say sub only releases can only found online is 100% untrue.

As for Clanand (along with Blue Drop, Ghost Hound, Legends of the Dark King: A Fist of the North Star Story, and Tears to Tiara) were dubbed (partially) due to international help from the other English markets (AU and UK).
Quote:
To put it simply, there's no advantage for them to release DVD and BDs of anime they wont dub. It just cuts decreased sales down further.

It's hard to this claim seriously unless you talked to David Williams directly or have some sales numbers to back up it up.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was kind of perplexed upon learning that Tari Tari is going to be a sub only release. But after reading some posts and learning that Kids on the Slope, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and Mysterious Girlfriend X have been licensed in Australia, I have concluded that Sentai wants to do BD releases only if it can sell the dub to other English licensors.

Kids on the Slope is licensed in the UK (MVM Ent.) as well. Adding to the AU side (Hanabee), there are also Bodacious Space Prates, Hakuoki properties, Hiiro no Kakera S1, and Inu X Boku Secret Service.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
And then you remember Another, Baby, Please Kill Me, Battle Girls, Demon King Daimao, Guin Saga, Kamisama Dolls, Medaka Box, Night Raid and Phi Brain all have dubs but aren't being released in other English countries. Meanwhile, Mayo Chiki and Waiting in the Summer are both being released in the UK and AU, but are sub-only.

Conclusions: We're back to the "Sentai is random" idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4