• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, February 18-24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
That 24k for Girls und Panzer is with Amazon still running out of stock mid week (and won't get any more in stock until Feb 28th).

They really need to fix these shortage issues.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
That 24k for Girls und Panzer is with Amazon still running out of stock mid week (and won't get any more in stock until Feb 28th).

Yamato 2199 Chapter 4 wasn't even released until Friday, and it sold 20,491 copies. Granted, most of those were preorders more than likely (I preordered mine back in October/November when it first appeared on Amazon JP). Blu-Ray is outselling DVD by a ratio of 3:2 (20,491 Blu-Rays vs 8,124 DVDs).

The lack of region coding and the presence of English subtitles on the Blu-Ray might be helping capture the international 35-50 age bracket who saw Star Blazers on TV in their youth and selling at least some numbers outside Japan (I know of several people who have bought it)

Yamato has an interesting chance to double-dip on sales due to its unique release format (Cinematic release then Blu-Ray/DVD. With the first half of the season due to air in prime time on TBS starting in April, a new generation of Yamato fans will not only seek to get the available Blu-Rays/DVDs, but possibly to get to cinematic screenings of some of the remaining three four-episode chapters.

As one of those thirty-something Star Blazers fans, I can vouch that the series will not only satisfy the most ardent fan of the original Yamato/Star Blazers with how it stays true to the original, but the improved depth of storytelling and character cast will sit well with both the existing Yamato/Star Blazers fanbase and those yet to see any of the 40-year-old anime mainstay - and it's just continued to improve with each episode. The downside: three months until the next four episodes are available Sad
Blazaking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
Go JoJo!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yamato 2199 Chapter 4 wasn't even released until Friday, and it sold 20,491 copies. Granted, most of those were preorders more than likely (I preordered mine back in October/November when it first appeared on Amazon JP). Blu-Ray is outselling DVD by a ratio of 3:2 (20,491 Blu-Rays vs 8,124 DVDs).

Garupan was also released on Friday, so your point is...?
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 am Reply with quote
Go Garupan! GO show the true success of your show!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
Blazaking wrote:
Go JoJo!

+1
Honestly, the only reason I click these rankings these days is to see how well the new Jojo anime is doing. Thankfully, it seems to be doing pretty good. Hoping to see a boost when the dvd/blu-ray's from episodes 10 and up hits, though. Gooooo Jojo! Arrow
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Yay! I made a minor contribution to the sales numbers of GuP #2, Yamato 2199 #4, Chu^2 #3, Hyouka #9, and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita #6.

I didn't bother with the first T&B movie, since it doesn't sound like it adds anything for those who own the TV series, but I might get it later. I would have bought Wolf Children, if the disc had had the English subtitles that were listed when the discs were originally solicited (and later dropped).
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
hopefully ep 12 ends with a season 2 announcement
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
The two top are my very favourite two anime from last year (after Eva 3, which I only saw this year). As a bonus, they're also really great.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Every time I see weeks of sales like these, I can't help but believe the anime industry is doing better than ever with a nice diversity, despite anything a doomsayer might toss out. Horizon's slipped from it's usually 20k; perhaps there were too many other options this week?

08th MS BD sold well, for a likely third release after VHS and DVD. They'd only need to cover the cost of the remaster and distribution here so their threshold for making profit must be lower. I'm not sure if it's another series Westerners would like to claim as their own like Cowboy Bebop, but it sure is the most spammed around for being the best. I don't think it is. 0080 BD where?
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Garupan was also released on Friday, so your point is...?

Going by what Ryan said above, Garupan was already out of stock midweek, so unless it was all preorders, how could it be released on Friday?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I meant it was out of stock by the middle of the time they were counting sales. It only got 2 of the 4 full days of counting.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Going by what Ryan said above, Garupan was already out of stock midweek, so unless it was all preorders, how could it be released on Friday?
Because that was the official release date. Amazon likely only received enough to fill pre-orders and then later got more from Bandai after the reporting period ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1