• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Section23 Films June 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ angelmcazares - There's a couple of things about AoA that makes their pricing strategy work for them. One is what I've already said about the fact they are backed by a parent company (although it should be noted that doesn't give them a free pass. They still need to turn a decent profit or at a certain point the plug would be pulled. It's just that their current arrangement does shield them from the sort of immediate cash flow concerns that would govern a completely independent company.) The other thing they are doing is that, unlike Funi and Sentai, they make no effort to sell their products in b&m stores. Basically, you can only get AoA products from a handful of online retailers. This allows them to keep a skeleton crew of five people to run the whole operation.

It is not inconceivable that, at some point in the future, all anime distribs may have to change to a different pricing model. If fewer and fewer people are buying, then they'd probably switch to only servicing the hardcore collectors market. If that happens, we'll probably see dubs become scarcer and scarcer. Right now, I'm not seeing anything that indicates that is imminent. But, as always, it's impossible to say what the future holds.

Thanks. I appreciate your reply. It is very helpful.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
One thing to add, just because they are backed by a Japanese parent company does not mean they will bail them out. Look at the whole Bandai closure. They were still making money, yet it wasnt enough for Namco Bandai.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
One thing to add, just because they are backed by a Japanese parent company does not mean they will bail them out. Look at the whole Bandai closure. They were still making money, yet it wasnt enough for Namco Bandai.

Plus let's not forget Bandai Visual USA who was also releasing high-priced anime for the short time that they were around.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It is not inconceivable that, at some point in the future, all anime distribs may have to change to a different pricing model. If fewer and fewer people are buying, then they'd probably switch to only servicing the hardcore collectors market. If that happens, we'll probably see dubs become scarcer and scarcer. Right now, I'm not seeing anything that indicates that is imminent. But, as always, it's impossible to say what the future holds.

If they up the prices, they start to see a dwindling wide audience. I find some humor in anime adaptations in Hollywood are just now starting to occur or be greenlit, right at the time where it's going to become much more difficult to sell a $200 boxset of a show to the unwashed masses. Guess it'll be streaming-only for them, but there's really no other way to capitalize on a film.

NJ_ wrote:
Plus let's not forget Bandai Visual USA who was also releasing high-priced anime for the short time that they were around.

BV/Honneamise may have been selling some anime greats like Patlabor and Gunbuster, but they're not getting the new hotness of Dokes, SAO, Bakemonogatari, and whatever else the kids these days like. That's how they can be successful. People weren't clamoring to throw $50 on four episodes for Galaxy Angel Rune.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:

I agree. That's what I meant when I said in my reply to angelmcazares that being a subsidiary isn't a free pass for indefinite unprofitability. But it's also true that Japanese companies tend to be less relentlessly focused on short-term thinking than NA companies. Some of them have a long game and are prepared to wait things out. I'm not saying that is the case with AoA, I'm just making a general observation.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
WTK wrote:
It's hard to this claim seriously unless you talked to David Williams directly or have some sales numbers to back up it up.

It's logic applied to a production standpoint; Different cases, different lables, different formats, it's cheaper to pick a release and produce more of it {with overstock of one type} than split the difference between the two. I'm not looking into as "BD cuts into DVD sales" or the reverse but the overall picture of making a physical release cost effective as possible.

If it's working for Sentai Filmworks, why change it? Here is David Williams response from Otakon '12 (LINK). And just because it's working for someone else (like FUNimation), it doesn't mean it will work with Sentai Filmworks.
Quote:
11:20:06 <bay> Q: Do you guys have any plans to release anything as BD/DVD combo pack?
11:20:12 <bay> Why no OVAs when buy seasons on itunes?
11:20:24 <bay> A; Would depend on the title, would have to ask A-net about that, i don't deal much with itunes
11:20:28 <bay> I'd have to go and ask
11:20:43 <bay> DVD and bluray combo packs, we've looked at it, but it doesn't work out financially
11:20:53 <bay> like right now, bluray is very expensive to press
11:21:07 <bay> anime in it's heyday, it sold really well, 10000 used to be a bad seller
11:21:12 <bay> these days, 3000 it's WOHOOO
11:21:21 <bay> the market for physical dvds has really changed
11:21:24 <bay> so bd is really expensive
11:21:26 <bay> DVD is really cheap
11:21:53 <bay> so how do i release that, press extra bd and put them with dvd, vice versa, how can i afford extra expense? who will buy it?
11:22:00 <bay> people who want to upgrade, will they pay the extra cost of the bluray or balk?
11:22:12 <bay> now there are people who have bluray, and they don't want to pay extra for DVD
11:22:29 <bay> the only market it seems to fufill for me is someone with DVD and bluray, with those in differnt locations
11:22:34 <bay> i can't see it work financially
11:22:44 <bay> and plus, since we're doing complete collections, we got more discs in the pack
11:22:48 <bay> are we going to use stackers?
11:22:56 <bay> so I don't see how we can make it work for us

Quote:
Eventually, I imagine they'll switch over to all BD releases, maybe {for that one, I would have to see the small print on their licenses} but I remain fairly confident in my initial assessment - a cheap release is a cheap release after all, and unlike Funimation, their business model seems to have little or no room for follow-up editions beyond multiseason and complete collections. For Tari Tari, this is it.

For the likes of Sentai Filmworks, it won't be anytime soon. People still buy anime on DVD. Sentai Filmworks only has one Blu-ray title that has outperformed DVD (High School of the Dead). They also have thrown around numbers (may be outdated) of 1 BD license equates to something like 3 DVD licenses.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Tari Tari is a definite by from me, although I would have loved a dub.

I was going to pass on Dusk Maiden, but those extras are going to make me buy it. I also haven't seen the OVA episode(Episode 13) so that should be good.
GDFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The subtitle timing is really screwed up on a good part of episode four of Tari Tari. I think they missed a line or combined two at one point. And then the subs were always one line ahead of the spoken dialog.

It's really annoying, and not something that could be easily missed.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
The subtitle timing is really screwed up on a good part of episode four of Tari Tari. I think they missed a line or combined two at one point. And then the subs were always one line ahead of the spoken dialog.

It's really annoying, and not something that could be easily missed.

so basically more of Sentai slacking on what should be simple to release stuff? Seems like more of the same: rush to get this one out so we can start on the next one, rush to get that one out and then on to the next one, etc etc.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, it's most likely one minor mistake, which happened to affect everything after it. However, it should never have slipped by them.

The funny part is that it carried right through the credits and next episode preview. I'm guessing if it happened in the first episode, the whole disc would have been off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4