• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BDs to Have English Subs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Why not English dubs too? I get the feeling Seed was not too popular worldwide, so it would only make sense to make this available everywhere like the UC blu rays to make more revenue...
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Looks like another effort by a Japanese distributor to market the Japanese price-point box-set to Western audiences, rather than licensing it to a Western distributor for dubbing/subbing and distribution at a more reasonable price. Thanks, but Japanese price-points are just way too high for my pocket book.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Bandai still doesn't get it. Also, why no dub? You can "remaster" the show but not put the existing dub over it?
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
with there being no dub, may be they cant just put over the old dub because there will actually be real changes in this HD thingy. maybe the whole ending will be changed up adding new dialog, making Shinn out to be the main character. Most likely not, knowing how the Seed HD went. A man can dream

i do wonder if these be Engrish subs or English subs? id bet on English subs
DomonX2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the CE dubs were decent at best. The best thing about those dubs are Lisa Ann Beley, Brian Drummond, Mark Oliver, Trevor Devall, Brad Swaile and Michael Adamthwaite. Matt Hill sucked as Kira. He was annoying and sounded like a surfer, which is still better than Hoshi, but Kira never get a good voice. For Destiny, Kirby Morrow is the best in that dub. Overall, the CE era dubs are pretty decent, but not great. The scripts however are fantastic and very faithful to their Japanese counterpart, as per Bandai Entertainment.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Most americans won't buy thier overpriced crap.

Also does this have the same crappy crop that seed remaster did?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
It would be one thing if a dub didn't exist, but ONE DOES!!!!!! Why not just, ya know... put it on the disc? They are CREATING one for Gundam UC, so why not put this show's EXISTING dub on it's release?
Derringer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
In order for the English dub audio to be applied, Bandai Visual would have to do an extremely large amount of audio cutting, re-recording and editing because of the numerous scene changes and edits they have been making in the Remaster. Despite what people think, this is simply not a zoom and crop job.

If any of you have tried to sync the Eng audio to the SEED HD Remaster, you will quickly realize that it will not work. There's too many differences in each episode for this to be done.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
To be fair, the CE dubs were decent at best. The best thing about those dubs are Lisa Ann Beley, Brian Drummond, Mark Oliver, Trevor Devall, Brad Swaile and Michael Adamthwaite. Matt Hill sucked as Kira. He was annoying and sounded like a surfer, which is still better than Hoshi, but Kira never get a good voice. For Destiny, Kirby Morrow is the best in that dub. Overall, the CE era dubs are pretty decent, but not great. The scripts however are fantastic and very faithful to their Japanese counterpart, as per Bandai Entertainment.

Matt Hill always sounds like a surfer though.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
Most americans won't buy thier overpriced crap.

Also does this have the same crappy crop that seed remaster did?

Sunrise isn't that overpriced as Aniplex, just think for the best when Sunrise release titles later on and better stuff for the long run.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Matt Hill sucked as Kira. He was annoying and sounded like a surfer, which is still better than Hoshi, but Kira never get a good voice.

Hoshi did well for SEED-Kira. Not so much Destiny-Kira. I like Hoshi for SEED Kira and Hill for Destiny-Kira.

Also; Matt Hill's always sounded like a surfer.
Need I bring up Kero from Cardcaptors, Artha Penn from Dragon Booster or Finn from Storm Hawks? Or hell, Carlos from Transformers Armada and Energon?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm sure Seed Destiny will have fixed animation like Seed making putting the dub over it kind of hard.

But I mean (and I say this as someone who mostly watched dubs) the dub for Seed and Destiny is pretty awful. I mean the show is bad enough and nothing can fix that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Where's KLAC to defend the honor of Chantal Strand?

The only feature a CE Gundam release needs is an apology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
Eh, could've redubbed the extra lines maybe.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote
isnt seed desitny one of the worst selling gundam franchises?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4