• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 (Mostly) Deadly Death Gods

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'd say Ryuk is much deadlier than Ichigo(and a MUCH bigger threat in the long run since he could just do the same thing all over again in a couple of centuries, the next time he's bored), but I guess he had to be somewhere in the mix. Frankly it kind of annoys me that the Shinigami in Bleach are even called as such because they haven't done anything grim reaper worthy since the beginning arc of the series but ah well.

In terms of character ressurection I went with Nina. Her death was really messed up, even by FMA standards.

Last edited by Divineking on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It was really jarring to see Tsuzuki being referred to as Asato since nobody calls him that, but it's nice to see him and Hisoka up there!
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Umm.... Maka isn't a grim reaper. Neutral

If you're going with Soul Eater characters, obviously the correct choice would be Lord Death himself. Or heck, even Death the Kid would be more appropriate than Maka. Confused
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
*hugs William* ... wondering why he was chosen and not Grell... but I love them both, and William needs some attention every now and then as well, so....

eeeeee KuroReapers are the best <3
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that Botan from YuYu Hakusho wasn't in there somewhere.

And yes, Maka isn't technically a Shinigami in-universe. OTOH, I'm not sure what to call her since she does harvest souls, but not human souls (though she could, there is a Rule that prevents her from doing so). Only Lord Death and Death the Kid are actually referred to as being Shinigami (or Reapers in the dub). Still, I can see how an argument could be made that outside of the Soul Eater universe, she would be defined as a Shinigami.

As for the poll: I added Nia Tepplin from TTGL to the list: many of the other people on that list I thought went out well, or on their own terms anyway, and bringing them back would devalue that. But in Nia's case, her death, IMO, was largely meaningless and caused Simon a lot of pain. If I were to go by the list already created, I would've gone for Mae Hughes: that funeral scene is always pretty heart-breaking to watch.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Kinda confused on the poll, because I'm wondering why Fuko is on the list. Because like Ayu in Kanon, she's eventually revealed to be spoiler[in a coma the whole time] and not really dead.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Kinda confused on the poll, because I'm wondering why Fuko is on the list. Because like Ayu in Kanon, she's eventually revealed to be spoiler[in a coma the whole time] and not really dead.

Because it's user submitted, and someone apparently forgot/missed that detail.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow to see how out of touch I am with Naruto I didn't even realize that character had died. He was one of my favorite characters too; I even bought a figure of him which I've been trying to sell since I lost all interest in Naruto.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Kinda confused about Lelouche. Was he actually confirmed dead by something official? Last I heard, they were dancing around answering those questions and it was intentionally left vague as to whether or not he did steal his father's code and was the person cleverly left out of the screen that C2 was talking to on the cart, or if he truly did die to repent for all the things he had done.

Personally I'm 50/50 on it, but a poll about dead guys including one that may or may not be dead seems off.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Actually there is a more dangerous Shinigami than William in Black Butler, spoiler[Undertaker. He is the only person who managed to nearly kill Sebastian.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
21% isn't a majority by any definition, but it is a plurality. Besides, the second choice was only a few tenths off.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Kinda confused about Lelouche. Was he actually confirmed dead by something official? Last I heard, they were dancing around answering those questions and it was intentionally left vague as to whether or not he did steal his father's code and was the person cleverly left out of the screen that C2 was talking to on the cart, or if he truly did die to repent for all the things he had done.

Personally I'm 50/50 on it, but a poll about dead guys including one that may or may not be dead seems off.

It is generally accepted that spoiler[Lelouch is dead.] I myself like to think that he did steal the Code, but as far as the official statements go, the last I heard was that they would "leave it up to interpretation", which, imho is the same as saying "he's dead as dead can be, but if you want to think he's alive we won't stop you from it"
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I was looking through the new poll and found a typo:

"Forth Hokage" should be "Fourth Hokage"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Scormio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Umm.... Maka isn't a grim reaper. Neutral

If you're going with Soul Eater characters, obviously the correct choice would be Lord Death himself. Or heck, even Death the Kid would be more appropriate than Maka. Confused

Yeah, someone beat me to it. Lord Dead and Kid are the only 2 actually referred to as shinigami because, well, they're the only 2 actual shinigami in Soul Eater.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I was surprised that Botan from YuYu Hakusho wasn't in there somewhere..

I thought the same thing. I really enjoy the list, so please don't take this as a complaint, but rather a suggestion, why eight? Why not ten so you can include more?

Oh well. It was still fun to read. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5