• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Neo Magazine Online Forum Closing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
Well, it didn't get traffic from many members OTOH, just the same number of a few older members (older both in their age and as in regulars) posting all the time. How well is the print magazine doing now?
dexter30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Pretty good actually only magazine that provides japanese culture news, reviews and such.

But now the cheaper MYM magazine is out who knows how long it will last.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
I was one of those "older members". It's sad when this sort of thing happens, but I can't help, but think it's just the first crack in the hull of a ship that's about to break up and sink. Sadly I too drifted away from their forum as my interests changed and the info to be had for those changes was already dated there. Indeed I was more contributor to new info than consumer, and the debacle over those awards didn't help. I just renewed my subscription last month as well so I'm hoping the magazine will continue at least until next January.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I was one of those "older members". It's sad when this sort of thing happens, but I can't help, but think it's just the first crack in the hull of a ship that's about to break up and sink. Sadly I too drifted away from their forum as my interests changed and the info to be had for those changes was already dated there. Indeed I was more contributor to new info than consumer, and the debacle over those awards didn't help. I just renewed my subscription last month as well so I'm hoping the magazine will continue at least until next January.
You mean the TokyoToys thing from ages back?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well if you consider 2011, an "age" then yeah. Wink
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well if you consider 2011, an "age" then yeah. Wink

Two years ago and you still haven't moved on from that? Tut tut tut. Wink

But like I said, I didn't care much for the NEO forum anyway, it was kind of like a handful of old Grauniad-lovin' ex-student types types discussing the news with a faux-outrage tone ironically like that of The Daily Mail. Although younger members came and joined sporadically they posted a brief intro but then they soon left. It was also increasingly low on the anime related discussion, whilst people kept posting in the off-topic chat threads. From what I gather NEO forum wasn't only more popular back in the day but important to the 'scene' connecting people, but the UK otakudom has long ago moved on. After that NEO mag's forum had lived its course and that's that.

On any forum, the core regulars are the bread and butter that keep things going, but over time the same old regulars always turn a forum into a circlejerk of familiars into which newcomers feel excluded, cause that's the way humans work both in real life and online. NEO mag forums is a perfect example of this, less and less people posted there over time and their activity seemed more and more limited to the chattier off topic threads. This is even happening on my own forum which I started last year, or not long before, anyways.

What's the betting this is the real reason why the forum was closed, to help relaunch the mag? The mag is a commercial product that's marketed at a younger target demographic its forum no longer reflected, and worse still the inactivity in the on-topic sections made otakudom in the UK look to be in an even worse state than it actually is.

It seems to be AUKN and AL who have taken over now as Brit otaku forums (though some people won't like to hear that last bit about AL lol).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Two years ago and you still haven't moved on from that? Tut tut tut. Wink
I moved on like I said. but I'm refering to the shit storm that brewed up during all that.

Quote:
But like I said, I didn't care much for the NEO forum anyway, it was kind of like a handful of old Grauniad-lovin' ex-student types types discussing the news with a faux-outrage tone ironically like that of The Daily Mail. Although younger members came and joined sporadically they posted a brief intro but then they soon left. It was also increasingly low on the anime related discussion, whilst people kept posting in the off-topic chat threads. From what I gather NEO forum wasn't only more popular back in the day but important to the 'scene' connecting people, but the UK otakudom has long ago moved on. After that NEO mag's forum had lived its course and that's that.

On any forum, the core regulars are the bread and butter that keep things going, but over time the same old regulars always turn a forum into a circlejerk of familiars into which newcomers feel excluded, cause that's the way humans work both in real life and online. NEO mag forums is a perfect example of this, less and less people posted there over time and their activity seemed more and more limited to the chattier off topic threads. This is even happening on my own forum which I started last year, or not long before, anyways.

What's the betting this is the real reason why the forum was closed, to help relaunch the mag? The mag is a commercial product that's marketed at a younger target demographic its forum no longer reflected, and worse still the inactivity in the on-topic sections made otakudom in the UK look to be in an even worse state than it actually is.

It seems to be AUKN and AL who have taken over now as Brit otaku forums (though some people won't like to hear that last bit about AL lol).
I know what you mean by feeling not in the "clique" at a forum, 'tis reason I fadded away from UKAnimeNetwork. But for NEO I never had that feeling. One of the NEO Mods' wrote an eplogue of why it died and in short it was simply down to the owners' not supporting it anymore, not even going there to check it out, and let it get infected with spambots, abandoning the Mods with any help and support to fight them, so with exhaustion from getting stonewalled by the NEO staff, they had to let it slip into a coma and when the staff finally discovered what they, the staff, had done they just put it out of it's misery instead of trying to save it. Owner neglect killed the forum plain and simple. BTW what's AL? Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
Anime League I assume.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I meant Anime League. Though they might be unpopular, it is a vibrant and largely UK-based forum.

But I don't understand why NEO forum had trouble with spambots and yet they said (according to you) they abandoned the forum staff without any help and support to fight them. All the owners had to do was give the staff mod powers, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
Mod powers against spambots is like bailing out a boat with a hole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Really? I just ban 'em when we get one on AW. Though there's usually a staff member round every few hours at least and I admit we've only had a few spambots so far. But still only three staff members have the power to deal with 'em and we're fine.

Spambots just need regular monitoring, all they had to do was to get a hikikomori on their staff lololol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1