• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CPM Lays off Staff, Prepares for Bankruptcy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
This really blows.CPM has put out alot of good stuff.I always brought material from them.
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Well so much for the anime industry in the Northeast.

Quite a shame but they never had any titles that I was particularily interested in.

It is interesting how they could compete in the first place with so most other companies either gobbling up licenses, having ties to other larger companies, or both.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Now while this is bad for CMP it can recover from this, Barkruptcy doesn't always mean the end. But it is still a sad sign, CMP animes are among some of the old classics that many an anime fan watched before the flood.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
daggerbob

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what this will do for their subsidies like US Manga Corps and Software Sculptors? I understand they have quite the few releases the next few months. CPM also has quite the catalog also. There should be a heluva battle over them Wink .
tekwych

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
With the loss of B&M retail space as well as the loss of distributors consolidation may be the best thing for the industry. If CPM is purchased, merged with another production company it may help stabilize the industry as a whole.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Why...does this not surprise me?
Area88

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Preparing for Bankruptcy?

CPM were just making plans to release Yotoden and reprice more of their catalogue.

Why have CPM recently aquired licenses such as Negadon?

I'm sorry but this makes no sense at all.

Until we hear it from CPM, this is NOT THE END!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Why have CPM recently aquired licenses such as Negadon?

I'm sorry but this makes no sense at all.

Until we hear it from CPM, this is NOT THE END!

CPM was surprised by this as well. The company, like most, was in debt and its creditor(s) came calling unexpectedly.

The CPM rep at Anime Boston confirmed the issue publicly at the Anime Boston CPM panel, and said that a full press release will be issued on Tuesday.

-t
AGspikes

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
How sad, and Project A-ko was one of the series that first got me into anime. Anime cry

Has CPM Manga even tried to sell their stuff in original format?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a sad moment...unfortunately, I had been thinking for awhile that CPM just wasn't all that relevant in today's anime market, since they haven't been grabbing those new hot titles that all the young fans want these days. In a world where people make recommendation posts saying, "I don't want any anime made before 2000, cause I don't like old animation," a company like CPM with so many older titles is going to be in trouble. I'll at least be eternally greatful for Utena, which has one of the best-written, most interesting subtitle scripts that I've ever seen, err..., read. Maybe this will make some of those "I'm going to download anime and never buy any DVDs" people take notice. Not likely, but we can dream, right?
tekwych

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
They have not had the deep pockets needed today but they do have a solid catalogue and a great staff. It's one of the reasons I see a merger or purchase rather than a closure. I would not be surprised to see CPM try bankruptcy first and work their way through it but in todays market I just don't see creditors or retailers going for a prolonged bankruptcy.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
tekwych wrote:
They have not had the deep pockets needed today but they do have a solid catalogue and a great staff. It's one of the reasons I see a merger or purchase rather than a closure. I would not be surprised to see CPM try bankruptcy first and work their way through it but in todays market I just don't see creditors or retailers going for a prolonged bankruptcy.

I also don't see a prolonged bankruptcy since they laid off most of their staff.

Speculation on my part though...

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote
*sigh* I'm really going to miss their anime commentaries. Those were the best. If they could still keep their rights to the Rumik World OVAs, they probably would have lasted longer. The only survivors from the early years of anime home video companies appear to be ADV and Animeigo. And Animeigo appears to have given up anime a long time ago. It couldn't have happened to a nicer company.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
Well so much for the anime industry in the Northeast.

Quite a shame but they never had any titles that I was particularily interested in.

It is interesting how they could compete in the first place with so most other companies either gobbling up licenses, having ties to other larger companies, or both.

Well, they were most competative in the VHS days, when they managed to snag a lot of big names like Lodoss War, Patlabor, Project A-Ko, Utena, and their biggest hit, Slayers. Once DVD came along, they remained afloat partially thanks to DVD sales of these older titles. As the price of anime liscences increased, they found themselves either releasing obscure shows of questionable quality, or releasing the stuff too edgy for the other companies to touch (Now and Then, Here and There, and Narutaru.)

But they hadn't had a big hit in a long time, so I can't say this surprises me much. Still, it's a shame, and I'll miss them. I wonder what'll happen to their various series. FUNimation already got Slayers, but I'd hate to see Utena, Lodoss, et al go out of print for good...
Area88

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
So now it's officially Tuesday, sometime later today we should hear that all important announcement from CPM.

Hopefully it won't all be bad but i'm prepared for the worst.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5