• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bickazer

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
[quote="Bickazer]
Quote:
Because of corruption by Isaac Asimov I prefer sentient robots who puzzle about their humanity

I don't think there's an anime like this, though (someone ought to make one).

off the top of my head..

Metropolis
Kikaider
even Astroboy, somewhat

there must be more, it's a core sci-fi premise, used by many.[/quote]

I was thinking a lot of the Osamu Tezuka stuff too...not serious enough though. Maybe I should come up with an idea like that...NAH. I can't draw worth crap. ~_^

I'm more into kiddie stuff though. Just as a lot of anime fans don't like Yu-Gi-Oh and never will, I don't like Eva and never will. I actually find it kind of sad this phenomenom in the anime community...disrespecting other otaku just because they like more "kiddie" and less "mature" series...like YGO, or Pokemon, or Beyblade...

Blah...I realize that this is rather spammy...but I can't think of anything on topic to say. I'm better versed in the manga world, because manga is more accessible for me.
eric-jan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
hi y'all,
I just wanted to thank joon for the wonderful idea of making this thread. I've discovered lots of anime series I'd have never looked at if i wouldnt have read about them here. Sure i could have looked them up in the Encyclopedia, but making a top ten and recognising one of your favourite anime amongst 9 unknown anime series/movies made me want wo watch the other 9, just because this other poster had (almost) the same taste as i have.
Kidder

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
hmmm tuff choice... I guess I'd rank anime by my urge to rewatch them. Also I'm only ranking shows that have finished. There are a few I am currently following that show promise, but I reserve judgement till they are finished.

TOP 10

1. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My favourite Studio Ghibli movie. I've rewatched this movie so many times since I was about 8 yrs old. I love everything about this movie, from story, to background and character designs, to the beautiful music. IMO it's Hayao Miyazaki's greatest work and will remain my favourite for years to come.

2. Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind
did I mention I'm a huge fan of Studio Ghibli? Anime smile ..... This film is based on the fantastic manga of the same name by Miyazaki. It's a superb adaptation of the manga story although extremely condensed but just as enjoyable. Great story and characters. Music was a tad bit too electronic for my taste. Anyone who enjoyed this film MUST read the manga. I would love to see the manga turned into a anime show, but with Miyazaki retiring soon and Studio Ghibli mostly producing movies, the chances are extremely slim.

3. FLCL
I really enjoy random comedy type anime. I think the reason why I love anime so much is the over-exaggerated facial expressions and movements. FLCL is a perfect mix of randomness, absolutely superb art and a kickass soundtrack. The fact that it's only a few episodes long gives it much more rewatchability.

4. School Rumble
hehe as I mentioned for #3, I love comedy anime. School Rumble is one of THE funniest anime shows I've ever watched. School Rumble can best be described as high-school comedy romance. Ridiculous situations, with equally ridiculous characters = comedy gold Laughing

5. Azumanga Daioh
Azumanga Daioh is another high-school comedy show, but it concentrates soley on a group of friends. There is very little to no romance element. Each episode is pretty much stand-alone and there isn't a real storyline. In fact Azumanga Daioh is more a slice-of-life anime, since it mainly deals with the daily lives of the group. The pace of the show is quite slow and the timing of the jokes is usually quite long. I think what I liked most about this show is the character designs and superb voice acting. The characters are pretty simple designs and females are not particularly "prettied up" (with the obvious exception of Chiyo-chan who is uber kawaii >.< ). The voice acting was some of the best I have ever heard. The seiyuu's voices fit their characters absolutely perfectly and make the show even more humourous and enjoyable to watch.

6. Berserk
I think Berserk was the first anime show I watched properly from beginning to end. I was borrowing it, 1 DVD at a time from a friend but I watched it so fast, I would pester him the next day for the next DVD ^^. The story is extremely addictive and the show is action-packed with sword to sword combat with knights and monsters. I recently read the manga and was blown-away by it. I have often heard people rant about how anime-adaptations are never as good as the manga but I never really believed them. Now I'm a believer!

7. Samurai Champloo
mixing modern hip hop culture with Endo period samurai action? Crazy idea but it worked like a charm. Beautiful animation and char designs. Kickass OST and some really hilarious episodes. To be honest, I actually prefered the episodes that didn't really follow the storyline. Don't get me wrong, the story was great, but something about beatboxing and baseball playing samurai makes me laugh my ass off Razz

8. Trigun
Very entertaining show. Vash had the right mix of goofiness with kickassness to keep the character funny but not retarded. With a great selection of "bad-guys" to defeat and a very interesting backplot, I was instantly addicted to this anime.

9. Appleseed
This is the newer CG version of Appleseed. This film was a real sight to behold. Superb animation with equally superb story.

10. Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
like I said... I'm a real sucker for outrageous comedies. FMP: Fumoffu is easily my favourite out of the FMP shows. Every episode is equally hilarious. I personally didn't much enjoy the mecha-side of FMP... which is kind of stupid considering the show is pretty much mecha-anime... I much preferred the scenes where Sousuke and Kaname have to interact at school or in "normal" situations.

Honourable mentions: Cowboy Bebop, Full-Metal Alchemist, GITS:SAC & 2nd GIG, Naruto, Bleach, Gankutsuou, GunGrave, Love Hina, Ichigo Mashimaro, Honey and Clover, Ninja Scroll(movie), One Piece, Tokyo Godfathers, Eureka Seven, Noein, Keroro Gunso, Animal Yokocho and Ergo Proxy.

BOTTOM 5
These shows I would never ever ever watch again.

1. hack//SIGN
Without a doubt .hack//SIGN comes in as #1 for the worst show I've ever watched. The show rated quite high on Animenfo.com so I decided to check it out. I've never been so bored out of my mind... nothing compares to mind-numbingly boring dialogue and story. The idea seemd interesting when i first read about it, but they really proved me wrong. It was like the script was written on a Mobius strip and just kept going round and round in circles. In fact I avoid all .hack related shows now.

2. Gundam Seed Destiny
Really not much one can say about this show that hasn't already been said in countless rants on forums on the net. Sufficed to say that after watching the first 5 episodes, I dropped this show like a bad bad habit. I watched the final 2 episodes to see if they redeemed themselves over the course of 50 episodes, but it seemed as if they actually made it EVEN worse...

3. Wolf's Rain
Pretty interesting storyline, but it just dragged and dragged out for ages. Also I didn't find the characters very interesting. The only redeeming factor is the decent soundtrack by Yoko Kanno.

4. Tenjou Tenge
Seemed quite promising at the start. Animation and art looked decent, but it just went down down downhill from then on...

5. Ninja Scroll: TV
This is NOT the movie Ninja Scroll, but the TV series that was "inspired" by the movie... I use quotation marks on "inspired" because they used the same main character, Juubei, but failed to include the things that made Ninja Scroll the movie so good. Story started good and action was extremely promising, but as the show progressed random holes in the story started to appear and action-scene animation quality got worse. It could have been a great show...

Very Special Dishonourable mention: Neon Genesis: Evangelion
I just didn't understand the point of this show... The main char, Shinji (I think...) was soooo angsty and annoying. I instantly disliked most of the other characters too. It's quite unfortunate because the story and art were fantastic, but I felt that at times it tried too hard to be deep and philosophical. To be honest, I probably would rewatch a few eps of NG:E, skipping out all the annoying and boring parts.

Other dishonourable mentions:
Rurouni Kenshin (great first 50 episodes, 2nd half was insanely poor)
FMP (oddly enough, while I do quite like the characters, I don't actually like the story),
Excel Saga (yeah I know I said I liked randomness in comedy, but Excel Saga sometimes crosses that fine line between comedy and plain nonsense)
star_goddess

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
Hello! I'm new here! Please tell me if my english is wrong. English is my second language. TNX. anyways, here's mine:
My 5 favorite animes:
1. Cardcaptor Sakura - This is the very first anime I watched when I was still 8 i think. I really like the story and the sakura-syaoran love story.
2. Ultra Maniac - I really liked this anime! It's so cute and funny.
3. Detective Conan - I am a really big fan of this anime. spoiler[Shinichi is so cute!]. I also like all of its opening/ending themes.
4. Alice Academy - I like this anime because it is sooo cute!
5. Full metal alchemist - (well, again, just like what everyone says.)
Others are: Detective School Q, Inu Yasha, Clamp school detectives and many more!

My 5 least favorite animes:
1. hack.//sign. - i think this anime is borin to watch.(no offense, this is just my opinion.)
2. Sayuki reload.
3. DBZ - i find this anime boring and OA.
4. DNA2.
5. Otogi Zoshi-the legend of magatama.
Kyouta

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
whoops, My Bad.
give reasons why i like the anime, Alright.

-Tenchi Muyo [Universe / OVA]
{reason} its a great action packed anime.

-Aquarian Age
{reason} this is a good anime.
* its creative and it has a very powerful storyline.*

- Arjuna
{reason} this is a very different anime, that is well put together.
* its creative and it has some special qualities to it that i like.*

Well, i'll type the rest in later.

Here are some good movies that i've seen.

Grave of the Fireflies
Akira
Steamboy
X

Last edited by Kyouta on Tue May 23, 2006 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kurosaki_Ichigo_1000

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
TOP 5:

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion. This is am amazing series. I love just about everything it. The characters, music, animation, the story, the insanity and the breakdowns the characters go through, an awesome anime. A+

2. Fullmetal Alchemist. Again, love everything about it. Even though to me the ending felt kinda rushed (they could've made atleast another episode so it wouldn't feel that way) I still adore this anime. A+

3. One Piece. Man, even though it's simple and straight forward, I still love it to death. The development in the characters is astounding, and the battles and characters thrown in are amazing. Especially the new episodes, it just gets better and better. A+

4. Samurai Champloo. Man, the best animation I have seen in an anime. The story is short but sweet, and every episode (IMO) is entertaining and fun-filled. The music is one of the best I've heard in an anime. A

5. Bleach. Again, just a great anime. The new filler arc dosen't really interest me (God, how bout some good filler for once thats worth your time?) but before the filler, just amazing. The animation is really good, the characters are cool, and the music is unique and great to listen to. A-
crow-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 (No real order)

1: Aim for the Top 2 : diebuster : All around enjoyable, but I must say those pilot seats look uncomfortable

2: Full Metal Panic! (all three) : The first - humor and violence, the second - humor and more humor, the third - violence and humor. Love it!

3: Keroro Gunsou : I like it because it's one of those manga to anime adaptation that actually are more enjoyable than the manga.

4: Gun x Sword : *sigh*...Carmen kyuju-kyu...the rest of the show it good too.

5: One Piece : ORE WA LUFFY DA!!!...anyway, I love everything about this anime except the fillers.

6: Ouran Host Club : I just started watching it but it one of the funniest things I've ever seen and...dare it say it...beautiful.

7: Bleach : I like the Spanish Japanese element to it. Some of the things they added to the anime weren't really necessary like when spoiler[they sent some random person to bring back Rukia during the Grand Fisher attack.]

8: Naruto : Real good series; some people complain about the Dragonball z pace but it really isn't that bad. Its the fillers that kill it.

9: Basilisk : It's like Romeo and Juliet with Ninjas (though I hate the play its the only thing to really compare it to).

10: Blood+ : Slow at time but its still good. On a side note Kai is the best damn brother ever.

Worst 5 (If I wasn't so sure my post might get deleted I'd have a 20 page long report on why Fullmetal Alchemist sucks)

1: Fullmetal Alchemist : How should I put this...you ever eat something and it tasted good at first but then you start to get this bad taste in your mouth and feel like you need to through up. This is what the anime is like. Then you try to drink or eat something you know taste good to get rid of the after taste but it doesn’t help because it's just so bad. Not to mention it doesn't help when everyone around you says it the best thing they have ever eaten and they seem to have screwed up taste buds because they can't find anything wrong with it. Yeah... that’s what its like...also whoever came put with metaphors is god.

2: Pokemon : I've seen my fair share of subs and dubs but the anime just isn't all that good. I likes the first couple of episodes but then Satoshi just starts to get things without really trying. The one thing I hated most was how they just made everything look easy compared to the games. Anyone who has every gotten into a pokemon battle in the game should know what I mean. I've gone through fights where I had to pray that an attack missed and when I attacked I prayed even more that the attack would knock out the other pokemon (only to leave it with one point left anyway and enough to let it do the finishing blow or a trainer to use a "what this I'm about to die with one hit point left and I'm paralyzed" potion Evil or Very Mad). Where was our "dodge it pikachu!!!" button huh?!?!?

3: Hellsing : One word Incognito and the way they screwed up Anderson's character not to mention the lack of war hungry vampire Nazis just killed it.

4: Trinity Blood : Another case of bad manga to anime syndrome

5: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya : I'm sorry it's not the worst thing I've ever seen it's just that I can't get over how big of a bitch that girl is.
Hitsugaya_Toushiro01

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
Here ya Go!

1.) Bleach,
I happend to see the show at a time when i had not seen any good anime in months. The charcters were simpley amazing. I had been out of the loop for a few months so i assumed that is was 13-26 episodes-Wrong, it quickely became my most beloved show and the more that i watched the more i fell in love with all the charcters. Not one single charcter was out of place of meaningless. And the story, I mean Wow I absoulutly love it. It is a true Masterpice.

2.) Neon Genisis Evangelion
My first, and I will allways pay my dues to that show with out it I would not be here talking to you. All of the story and Charcters were Masterpices in there own write. It has such great action and story aswell.

3.)Gunbuster
Wow! Six Episodes of Gainax Goodness. This is a Classic to Me. There isint much to say.

4.) Macross
It is Freaking MacrossQ! What more is there to say?

5.)Gunsword
It is Like rediscovering Bleach All over agin. Great Charcters and an Absoulty Amazing Main Plotline. I was very happy with my investiment in this one.

Now for the Bad!
I only Have 2

1) Trigun
I really Get anoyed when People go on about how Great this show is. The fact is it is crap. Bad animation, Very bad Charcters, and now story at all.

2)Initial D
Its the Fast and the Furious. That is all.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
WHOA! I just saw my "original reply" in this topic, and I don't know what happened, but that was NOT what I had posted! HAHA! I've never seen a single episode of Fruits Basket, or Bleach, but apparently they're some of my favorites? Wierd... Well, I'll try again... However, I can only give 5 favorites and 3 least favorites... These are my REAL favorites

1) Noir: This is one series that I don't skip any episodes during my re-watches. It defies most of the anime stereotypes and the action, for the most part, is far less ridiculous than most live action films of today. The story takes very unexpected twists and turns. It was brilliantly written, the characters were very indepth, and the ending actually left me a lot more content than most anime I've seen. Plus: Chicks with guns rock anus! Also, this series has inspired me on a lot along the lines of my own fictional writings as well.

2) Elfen Lied: Although relatively short, I quickly fell in love with this series as a whole. The ending was pretty jaded, but that didn't completely ruin it for me. For being only 13 episodes, it covered an impressive amount of both story and character development, since there were only a select few characters that I did not feel for in the end. Also, the mix it had was awsome, IMO. It mixed the disturbing graphic violence of horror, heart-touching drama, non-sappy romance, and even some pretty funny comedy (spoiler[the part where Yuka catches Khota and Nyu in that very akward position at the end of episode 2 cracked me up!])

3) Neon Genesis Evangelion: It took awhile for me to finally get into theis series (considering my prejudice against mechs and all), but through AS On Demand, I finally gave this series a long chance. It was episodes 8&9 (1st episodes with Asuka) that truly sold me. I thought Asuka and Shinji was the most hilarious relationship I've ever seen. however, after getting this series and watching it, I had no idea whatsoever what I was getting into. The 2nd half of this series gripped me to where I watched the entire thing within 3 days. Afterwards, I searched around town for The End of Evangelion and watched that the 4th day. Needless to say, I was tantilized and amazed by the whole experience, EOE actually put me in a wierd mood the rest of the day after watching it, not many things at all have had that kind of affect on me. This was also a very inspirational work on my own writings and such, so it gets good credit from this guy!

4) Outlaw Star: If any anime started my anime craze, it was Outlaw Star. I watched this show religiously the first time it came on Cartoon Network, and it stuck with me til I finally bought it about 2 years ago. Infact, to this day, it is one of my most watched anime series' that I own. Gene is still one of my favorite characters of all time, and the Aunten 7 were a pretty bad-ass concept which I enjoyed more than the gung-ho guns of trigun.

5) Armitage III: One of the 1st animes I ever saw, way back when the Sci-Fi channel used to have those anime fest that lasted about a week to 2 weeks. I remember this was the anime that introduced the kick-ass chick thing to me. And honestly, I felt that the OAV of Armitage makes Polymatrix obsolete. Overall, I just enjoyed this OAV to its extent and find it to be a very good classic.

Now, for the ones I like the least...

1) Saiyuki: My friend bought a couple of volumes of this series a while back, and I was greatly dissappointed to all hell. It reminded me of that Christopher Lambert Beowulf movie: A lot of jumping and flipping with a soundtrack that doesn't match the mood of the series.

2) Avenger: I thought the animation, action sequences, etc. were done pretty well, its just that the story of the series in general did not make much sense at all. The story was very weak IMO, so I must rate it rather low, unfortunately.

3) Dragonball (in general): I once was really into these series, but after a while, the DB, DBZ, and DBGT series have gotten me so sick of this story that I actually looked up spoilers specifically just to find out what happens so I could be done with it and move on.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
I'm only including shows I've seen in their entirety. All shows have only been viewed in Japanese with English subtitles. While the top 10 are more in tune with my true favorites, the bottom 5 are more along the lines of "worst" than least favorite. Some of them I actually enjoyed. The dishonorable mentions are the ones that I disliked more, but comprehend the redeeming qualities that exist. Confusing, I know.

Top Ten Favorite Anime [horribly outdated--only BSSM & Utena are definitely still in the top 10]

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - The first anime that I knew was anime, and I still love it. The story, though often too filler-filled, was quite interesting for many of the seasons. But more than that were the characters themselves. I was never fond of Usagi/Sailor Moon or Rei/Sailor Mars. But all the rest of them...wow. It was hard having such a large cast of characters, but at least through the first 3 seasons, Toei managed to pull it off without losing the viewers' connection with the other Senshi. Unfortunately, during both SuperS and Stars there is an loss of focus on my preferred characters, but at the same time, Stars redeems itself with a darker storyline and a very good portrayal of Usagi (never thought I'd say that). The animation had it's flaws, the story had too much filler, but there was always something magical about the show. The pop music always rather appealed to me, no matter how cheesy, and the seiyuu behind the Senshi had such a great chemistry. They're all talented women, and their abilities really shine through in Sailor Moon, even if it was one of the earliest shows for a few of them.

Revolutionary Girl Utena - I had heard about this show for years on alt.fan.sailor-moon before finally renting it. For awhile, I didn't see anything special, not really. But this is one of those shows that slowly grows, and that even the most random filler is key to character growth and understanding. It has so much in it: comedy, deception, drama, suspense, victims who are at the same time perpertrators, a tiny bit of mahou shoujo flair with the 'transformation' scene each episode, villains who are in some way victims, and a truly heartwrenching "what really happened?" ending. The music throughout the show is so different from anything else I've heard, and the artwork has some absolutely beautiful moments, although the reuse of cels does hurt it overall. There is a great deal of symbolism throughout, and it's one of the few shows where repeated watching has allowed me to like a character more and more. Jury and Nanami? Hated them the first time around. But after getting their story by the end of the show, the second time I watched, I could understand their motives and they became two of my favorite characters.

And also, this is the first anime where the title character was my favorite character. This is a very rare thing indeed, as I usually despise the main characters of shows.

.hack//SIGN - I know this isn't a truly great anime. Sure, it's got a great soundtrack, but really, it's a show that can only appeal to a certain type of person, and I happen to be one of them. The plot itself is fairly intriguing, but I would think that anyone not particularly familar with MMORPGs would have a harder time connecting to the environment of the story. And let's face it, it's very slow. However, it does one thing that I love: it focuses on the characters and it makes you want to know more by only giving you the tiniest amount of info every so often. When I watch an anime, it's the characters that are most important to me, to an extent that I'll often disregard a bad/slow story as long as the characters are good. And .hack//SIGN gives me what I want with regard to characters. When a show keeps me from sleeping well for 2 months (and I'm not exaggerating there) because I'm so curious about what happened to the characters, and I finally can sleep after getting just an inkling of information (thank goodness for .hack//UNISON), then I know it's a show that deserves to be high on my favorites list.

Noir - Yes, I'm a fan of Bee Train apparently. Slow, dark, and using Kajiura Yuki music just seems to work well for me, I guess. This time, the slow plot pulled me in a bit more than the characters themselves. And even more than that, I loved the setting. I've always had a thing for France (studied French for 6 years), and so having the Parisian setting for much of the show really connected with me. I found the show visually pleasing, and I loved the depth of the deception of the plot. However, unlike .hack//SIGN, I did have moments of boredom due to the constant repetition of certain flashbacks, often without adding anything to the scene. That was a major flaw in the show (as well as the pacing...it was just a bit too slow), but nothing is truly flawless.

Rozen Maiden (including Traumend) - I like to think I'm not the type to put whatever is hot and new up in my top 10 list. But sometimes, you've simply gotta get past that complex and accept that something completely new can be excellent. In my opinion, Rozen Maiden truly is a splendidly entertaining anime. I love the lightheartedness that manages to exist while at the same time having such a dark underlying plot. The music was catchy, and the artwork was breathtaking. I loved the detail that was granted to the Rozen Maidens and their worlds, and that the humans lacked that added detail. It really brought forth the idea of Perfection and whether or not it is attainable.

Traumend fell a bit flat compared to the first season. The introduction of the new Maidens seemed a bit forced, and the comedy fell flat. However, it did a nice job of advancing the darker side of the plot, which I really enjoyed.

Air - Exquisite animation (I just about keeled over when I saw how fluid it was), beautiful music (and I normally don't go for the slow stuff), and such a heartwrenching and depressing story--it was impossible for me not to fall in love with this serie. It doesn't hurt that Hisakawa Aya (Ami-chan!) and Kawakami Tomoko (Utena-sama!) are two of the leading seiyuu. I was confused a lot while watching, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing at all. I'm hoping to get my husband to watch it soon, as our discussions will likely lead to a better understanding of the entirety of the show.

Azumanga Daioh - This show is the best comedy of any medium I've ever seen. I've never laughed so hard during any movie or television show as I did consistently throughout Azumanga Daioh. Great humor, great characters, and great no plot. My only trouble? I now cannot listen to the end theme, Raspberry Heaven, without getting teary eyed. For being such a fun show, it really stuck with me sentimentally. I guess it's the nostalgia factor.

Gunslinger Girl - All character, little plot. Yeah, I like that sort of thing. I found the animation beautiful, the music itself very enjoyable, and the different characteristics of each girl very interesting. Moreover, the concepts of 'rescue' and 'exploitation' were very interesting throughout. They were all saved from a terrible fate, spoiler[particularly Triela...I mean the others were just dying (at least an end of their suffering), she was heading into slavery, right?], however they were then in turn being used. But at the same time, they didn't seem to be unhappy. Was this due to manipulation, or the actual affections of girlhood, even such a mechanically altered girlhood. I found the whole show fascinating, and the ending was stunning.

Magic Knight Rayearth - Another older mahou shoujo show, once again with a lot of anime nostalgia linked to it. Sure, it's not the best show. But it has a very interesting story with a lot of depth, the first season has a great twist, and the second season gives the viewer a true feeling of resolution that wouldn't have existed with just the first half of the show. Technically, it could have lasted with just one season, but spoiler[who really wanted another person to have to sacrifice all of their life's desires for their world and leading to a repetition of the problme?]. It's CLAMP, so the artwork is quite amazing, and it's got a very nice touch of both lightheartedness and depth. Having recently finished the manga, I don't fully understand some of the changes made for the anime, but still, an old favorite of mine. Plus, Yuzurenai Negai is my favorite anime theme song ever.

Haibane Renmei - For general quality, this should go higher on any given list. But as this is 'favorites' versus 'best', I think it fits quite nicely at number 10. It's a compelling and deep show with beautiful artwork. However, I wasn't as fond of the music (a little too slow, even if it is fitting), and it's not really a show that I'd want to watch over and over again. I own it, so I will rewatch it many times, but it's something that I have to step away from, absorb what I've seen, and then wait for awhile before returning to it, thus it settles at the bottom of the Top Ten. A beautiful anime, masterfully done, and overall one of the best shows I've seen in any medium.

Random Honorable Mentions

Trigun - Love the show, I really do. But not as much as the ones above it.

Rose of Versailles - Absolute classic. Dated animation, but I still think it's accessible to all that give it a chance. Really interesting music too, and even with the dated artstyle, it's still positively beautiful. And heartfelt. *sniffle*

Grave of the Fireflies - No doubt a masterpiece of animation. However, it's not something one really 'enjoys', so even if it is the best anime I've seen, it's not a favorite. But my goodness it is absolutely stunning.

Five Least Favorite Anime (starting with least favorite)

1. Futari wa Pretty Cure - Yes, it's a children's show. I know and understand this. But so is Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, and a score of other mahou shoujo and other genres of anime I have seen. And they were enjoyable. The one thing it has going for it? Gecchuu! Labu Labu!? was a fantastically catchy end them. Otherwise...ugh, I hated it.

2. Futari Ecchi - Yes, it's true this was my first hentai. However, I'm not rating it badly for the sex. No, actually I've rated it badly because it didn't live up to what I had read in the manga (I think I've read about half of it). It was mercifully less graphic, but it lost most of the humor as well as the touching moments in the process. Even Kawakami Tomoko (Utena-sama!) couldn't rescue this show in my opinion. And I was looking forward to it so much as a special guilty pleasure. It was a disappointment.

3. .hack//Legend of the Twilight - If it weren't for the cute music as well as the adorableness of Mireille and Hotaru, this would certainly outrank Futari Ecchi on my least favorite list. I have never been so annoyed by main characters in any show, and yes, I have seen Love Hina. Even Nagisa's "Areinai!" every three seconds in PreCure couldn't make her as obnoxious as Shugo and Rena. The creepiness factor was off the scale with all the "Oniichan!" "Rena!" "Oniichan!" "Rena!" scenes, and Shugo's inability to quite gulping over his sister's avatar. This is the black sheep of the .hack universe, and I how I wish it didn't even exist. Although, I am reading the manga versio of it right now....

And oh yes... Grunties should not be named after Lady Oscar! :p That was wrong on entirely too many levels.

4. Candy Candy the Movie - Oh, it's not bad per se. But as it's just a random little 26 minute series summary sort of thing, it doesn't have much going for it, and thus fell to the bottom of my rankings. It made me want to watch the series, but nothing more.

5. Peach Girl - Oddly enough, this is actually a guilty pleasure of mine that I enjoyed by the end of the series. Anyway, Peach Girl had some of the ugliest art I've seen (everyone looked like monkeys with botched lip implants), and two of the most obnoxious female characters ever. Not to mention the dullest love interest I've seen. However, it does have one outstanding character, Kairi, which is why I was able to finish the series and ended up really liking it by the end.

Random Dishonorable Mentions

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I actually probably dislike this show equally with .hack//Legend of the Twilight. However, with good animation and a good soundtrack, as well as an actual story...it doesn't lose enough points to be at the bottom. Actually, it's #38 out of 49 anime I've seen. I will accept that it is seen as a good anime. However, I did not enjoy it personally. I plan a rewatch in the near future. With a higher degree of anime knowledge, this will either help or hurt its ranking. I simply don't know.

Infinite Ryvius - I'm sorry. I know a lot of people found this to be a masterpiece, a shining example of sci-fi anime. I found it to just be dull and irritating. By the end, the only characters' survival I cared about were Charlie and Criff. The rest were just utterly obnoxious and showed no signs of growth. Okay, yes, Kouji does finally get over himself. My issue is that it felt like such a sudden about-face that it was too unrealistic. All of the characters who changed seemed to do it randomly and suddenly. Charlie and Criff were at least realistic as they slowly grew up through the show. I went into this very excited about the premise of Lord of the Flies in space. I came out of it quite disappointed and fairly drowsy. It did have a satisfactory ending, but it would have worked much better as just a 15 episode show. Then it might have been something I really could have enjoyed.

Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke - Might as well just group them. I'm sorry, I really don't know what it is that I dislike about these films. It's just a gut feeling. I found Spirited Away moderately enjoyable, but nowhere near the level that everyone assured me it would be. And Princess Mononoke just didn't do anything for me. The thing is, I'm not a big fan of anime movies. They always feel like an extended episode of something, even when they aren't based on a series. This in turn tends to hurt my opinion of them. I plan on rewatching both of these movies in the future to try to like them. I can see the beauty of the animation and the twists of the story. I just don't like them.

Last edited by Mylene on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
crow-kun wrote:
Worst 5 (If I wasn't so sure my post might get deleted I'd have a 20 page long report on why Fullmetal Alchemist sucks)

1: Fullmetal Alchemist : How should I put this...you ever eat something and it tasted good at first but then you start to get this bad taste in your mouth and feel like you need to through up. This is what the anime is like. Then you try to drink or eat something you know taste good to get rid of the after taste but it doesn’t help because it's just so bad. Not to mention it doesn't help when everyone around you says it the best thing they have ever eaten and they seem to have screwed up taste buds because they can't find anything wrong with it. Yeah... that’s what its like...also whoever came put with metaphors is god.

I don’t think you can comprehend how much I agree with you on that. For me that is everything I have always wanted to say about Fma in a nutshell.

Thank god I’m not the only one

Space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hopeforest

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
Favourite anime :

1.Detective Conan/Meitantei Conan/Case Closed
I love this anime because its the best i've seen... The cases in this anime are so realistic and the way Conan solve these cases is just amazing! I can't imagine how Gosho Aoyama can invent all these cases..?

2.Blood+
This anime is one of my favourite animes because the storyline is very well plotted and the graphic is great! The story is actually quite touching...

3.Final Fantasy Advent Children!
Although I have'nt finished FFVII the game, but the movie is too good! I love the graphic in it!

4.Macross 7
Definately the songs! Nekki Basara sings really good!

5.D.N. Angel
The storyline is great... even though it seems a little "girlie" or cheesy... i still like it alot.

6.Gundam Seed
The story line is great! I find the characters personalities are quite realistic, like how Kira reacts to everything around him and the war.

7.Tsubasa Chronicle
This anime is really good because it regroups almost all the ClAMP animes, and the stoyline changes as they move to other worlds.

8.Full Metal Alchemist
I like this anime because of the story line that it has.Everything relates to eachother and i like the idea of the "other side of the gate"...

9.Initial D
I love cars...

10.Naruto
Good action and very funny... but its being dragged too long..

I wont name the animes i dislike...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Okay, I've finally decided to get on here and do this.

My Top 10:

1) Sailor Moon - this was the first anime that I saw and while it is a sentimental favorite...it's also very good. I loved most of the episodes, they were well written and acted. But what I loved the most was that you got to see Usagi/Sailor Moon grow into a woman and into her powers. I like that sort of thing, I like to see some sort of growth in a character.

2) Ceres - Dark, moody, serious, and very funny at times. This also has what I like: character growth. And not just of the main character but several characters. You get to see many of them improve themselves. Not to mention that it is one heck of a story.

3) Fushigi Yugi - Again with the growth thing! Embarassed But the story is good as well as the animation. I just plain enjoyed this series.

4) Cardcaptor Sakura - Another well written story with growth of characters and all that great stuff! A magical girl story and unlike Sailor Moon, Sakura's battle outfits change every episode, courtesy of her best friend Tomoyo.

5) Fullmetal Alchemist - I like this one because of the growth thing again. I loved most of the characters even the ones you are supposed to "hate". I have to say that I cried when Lust spoiler[died. She didn't deserve that one bit!]

6) Full Metal Panic! & Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU - While there wasn't very much character growth, the story lines were great but some of the best stories were the funny ones: Teletha's and Melissa's Mecha fight, (FMP!) The outdoor art class and Ponyman (FMP?) Not at all funny but darn good: Sousuke's fights with Gauron esp. the last one where Kaname asks Sousuke a few pointed questions.

7) Kyo Kara Maoh! - A harem anime without any girls! Wink While I haven't finished this series yet, I have to put this one in here. It's just good, funny, well written and acted.

8) Magic Knight Rayearth - Another magical girl anime and another with growth of characters. I enjoy the heck out of this series every time I watch it but I like the second season the best.

9) Mirage of Blaze - I can't really say why I like this one, I just do. I enjoyed the storyline and the voice acting. Maybe what I like is the twisted relationship between Takaya and Naoe??

10) Inu Yasha - Another one that I haven't seen all the way through yet. But I love the characters! I want them to achieve their goal and hope that they do!

Honorable Mentions:

11) Witch Hunter Robin
12) Martian Successor Nadeisco
13) X TV
14) Eight Clouds Rising
15) Scrapped Princess

My Bottom 5:

1) Inu Yasha - This is a love/hate relationship for me. I want the darn thing over with so I can see the ending! Too many filler episodes and not enough concluding of the original storyline!

2) E's Otherwise - I still have this in my collection but I was unhappy with the ending. I don't mind "vague" endings but this didn't even approach that!

3) Louie the Rune Soldier - No growth of any of the characters especially the title character. He didn't improve with his magic, with his sword skills, he just kept going like the boar he was described as in the series: charging blindly straight ahead.

4) Stellvia - I'm not really sure why I'm putting it on here, but I'm just not really happy with the series.

5) X the Movie - For crying out loud spoiler[everybody dies in this] why not dislike it.

Well, these are my choices. For better or for worse.
Mihara

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
01. Cyborg 009 - 2003 - This is my favorite for many reasons, but the number one reason I like this is because it shows how people of different races can work together to accomplish a higher goal. The main character was a person with parents of different nationalities and had to learn to accept himself before the world around him would accept him. On a production view, I love the animation, I'm a huge fan of the retro look and it reminds me so much of the manga. It also has some of the best music I've heard in a while, OST, opening and ending, I loved them. The core cast were so diverse, there was literally a character that almost anyone could identify with.

02. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - I found this series to be interesting because of the way the protagonist was viewed and how he changed over the course of the series. Seeing a young boy going from thinking that war is something cool and just a game to realizing how horrible it can really be is great. The ending is poignant and really gets across the message of just how grim the realities of war can be. I think this is the only Gundam that's been able to do it in a realistic manner. It had great characters and the animation was pretty good for it's time, loved the mech designs as well. Some people find the main character to be annoying, but that was the whole point. He was a young and naive boy who had absolutely no experience with war, he was just a kid and was forced into a situation where we had to leave behind all his preconceived notions about war just being a game.

03. Cowboy Bebop - Some people may think it's over hyped, but I always say believe the hype. This truly is one of the best shows made in the past few decades. The main point that stands out about this anime is of course, the music. The OSTs, the songs, they were all wonderfully made and added such an extra dimension to the show itself. Even though is was an episodic series for the most part, it was still great. It had it's own style that no anime has been able to copy to this day.

04. Keroro Gunso - Even though it's not over yet, I have no problems placing this on my top ten list. This show is a perfect example of what can be done when a production team generally try to make an interesting an humorous show. The jokes actually make me laugh, I love all the characters and there's basically an archetype in each of the frogs that a lot of people can identify with.

05. Kikaider - A short OVA series, but it was still a great series. It had the retro style that I love in anime so much and really reminded me of the old tokusatsu and manga. Some people found the show to be confusing, but it really wasn't. It's just the struggle of someone trying to understand his own faults and come to terms with the fact that he can never have what he wants. It's the story of a tragic hero done right more or less.

06. Turn A Gundam - My favorite Gundam TV series and really one of the last good Gundams made. It had a great idea of mixing the technological aspect of Gundam with the Victorian age setting. It's a character driven series and as such, we learn a lot about the characters and come to care for them so much. Every time a character died, you would feel bad, these are the people that you've learned so much about and more so than almost any Gundam, it was able to make the characters seem human.

07. Samurai Champloo - Another great anime from the mind of Shinichiro Watanabe. He was able to replicate the great atmosphere that he first achieved in Cowbop Bebop. As with Cowboy Bebop, the music played an integral part in the show. It helped with the stylization of the Samurai and feudal-Japan. Like many of Watanabe's other works, the main theme of this show is that you can't run from your past no matter how hard you try. This is really one of the only shows that I think really got that message across in a fun yet solid manner.

08. Fullmetal Alchemist - Nothing like this has really been done before. Not in this manner at least, the show relied much more on it's character's than anything else. It's so great to see how almost every character has one connection to another and how that connection helps move the plot along. The mysteries this show presented were great, and while the second half wasn't as good as the first, it still proved to be a near perfect anime.

09. Dragonball/Z - Like it or hate it, this show influenced a generation of mangaka and without this, we likely wouldn't have Naruto or Bleach today. In the early years, when it was still Dragonball, it was a funny show that knew how to mix comedy and action into a great blend. It was never repetitive and the characters were always vivid and exciting...then we got to "Z". In the manga, it was just called "Dragonball" through it's entire run, the "Z" was just added in the anime because people thought it would end soon. I really, really did not like the Freeiza saga, it's the perfect example of what happens when a good show begins to drag for the sake of not making filler sagas. Though the Cell saga redeemed the show for me, it was great and dramatic again and it wasn't long and drawn out. There are lots of different opinions about the final saga, but I thought it was really good for the most part. It could have been so much better had Toriyama been allowed to end it at the point he wanted to.

10. Kaleido Star - This is one of the few shows from the last few years that I can really call a visual masterpiece. It relied heavily on the imagery and settings and it doesn't disappoint. Some of the characters may seem generic, but they're able to breathe new life into the overdone roles that they portray. The vivid imagery and plot were great here, there's not much about this show that I didn't like.

Honorable Mentions: Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Bleach, Dr. Slump, Cardcaptor Sakura, Digimon Tamers, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

---------------
Top 5 least favorite anime

01. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - This is the most overrated anime I have seen in the last five years. The "innovative" storytelling isn't innovative at all. Most of the characters are boring and just seem like rehashes of older characters from different shows. To me, there isn't a single thing about this show that I liked. The books were a lot better.

02. Inuyasha - While it started out as a good anime, that quickly fell apart. It became nothing but filler with months going by without any real plot advancement. The character's weren't memorable, the plot, when there was any, was extremely predictable and it just continues to prove that. Though one of the good points about the show was the artwork in both the manga and the anime. I can still enjoy it every now and then, but not for it's long running plot.

03. Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam - This series was a train wreck compared to Zeta Gundam. It ruined a lot of the characters and just made the Zeta universe seem so broken after the way Zeta ended. This was just a poorly done excuse for what could have been a great second season to Zeta Gundam.

04. Chrno Crusade - There was nothing really memorable about this series. To me it was just a great big pile of nothingness. I never really got into the series when I was watching it and I found most of the characters to be boring and just nowhere near as good as the manga.

05. Rurouni Kenshin - This would have easily made the top ten for me if it hadn't ended on such a low note. At the time of the ending, this was the lowest rated show in Japan. It sucks to think that just months before, there wasn't a show that could touch it. If the Enshi arc could have been done, this series would have easily been one of the greatest anime ever. But the last filler arcs really ruined the anime for me.

Dishonorable Mentions: Gantz, He Is My Master, Gundam SEED.
mrfrostyman

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Well this is my first post here so i hope i do it correctly.

10. Tenjo Tenge. I first heard about this anime from my friend who told me that it was about a school about martial arts fighting. I was intrigued so i ended up watching it and i was very glad i did. I enjoyed the fight scenes(especially the one that ended the 2nd episode) as well i liked the whole theme of the anime(serious fights and story telling parts, but lighthearted moments to break up the general atmosphere). I also enjoyed the fact that we got to see the past to the series even though it took to many episode slots in my opinion. This one had a good impression on me so it ranks in at number 10.

9. Outlaw Star. I saw it mentioned on this site as well as in a top 50 list so i decided to give it a try. I enjoyed the drawing style as well as the story elements to it as well as the space battles. It may not be as good as Cowboy Bebop but it does a very good job at its ability to tell a gripping story about a outlaw who goes on a quest to find the truth about a girl he meets in a suitcase type box as well as a person named hilda. This kept me interested the entire way through so as such i put it at 9.

8. Trigun. I loved how this show began. It actually made me laugh at some parts, but i also liked the fact that it progressively got more serious as the story progresses. I was shocked to find out about vash's past and i did like the ending to it. I also enjoyed most of the gunfights especially the one with the big guy whos fist's shot out. This is why this one gets 8.

7. Gundam wing. This show i actually bought entirely on VHS(which i am selling now but missing a couple since my friends lost them). This was the first Gundam experience i had and to date my favorite out of the bunch. The space fights are awesome(with sort of a robotechish feeling to it due to the explosions) and i enjoyed the story of wing. The movie i enjoyed even more. I liked the way it looked as well as the character base involved. This is why i gave it 7.

6. Dragon Ball Z. Now i agree completly with the people who state that the fights last far to long(mostly due to the charge up) But when the fights actually do occur they are a sight to be seen. I fondly remember watching Dragon Ball with my big bro on ytv so that may have made my view bias, but i get a good feeling wacthing this move which is why it made my "favorites" list. It is definetly not the best anime around and would not make my top 10 best anime but it still has a place in my heart. Thats why it recieved 6.

5. Rahxephon. I will say that this anime does answer questions i was left wondering about during the series unlike another brilliant anime down the list but enough about that. The characters are detailed with a full range of emotion as well as the one sided love in the beginning. The fights are intense and the story was a beautiful thing to behold. This would be higher but the others just had a greater impact on me. That is why it gets the big number 5.

4. GTO. Now this show i did not know what it was about. I heard someone say it was good so i got it. While at my friends house i decided to watch it while they they were playin games. To my surprise the opening part showed 2 girls pantys which is fine if you were expecting it but with all my friends around i was kind of embaressed. But i decided to stick through it when i got home and i must say one of the best animes i have ever seen. The characters all had unique personalities as well the story never made me feel bored. I liked it so much that i finished it in 2 days! It was quite a feat but it was worth it. I could not get enough of it, i would say i have to see how he handles this problem then i would want to see whats next. Original story plus a very laid back approach made me love it. Thats why it got 4.

Now the big 3

3. NGE. Now this may not have answered all the questions like rahxephon but it was, without a doubt one of my most memorable animes i have seen. I remember being so pissed off because i only got to see to episode 13 since thats all my bro had taped on vhs(good old vhs) Once i got older though i wanted to know the conclusion to this anime. This was the first show that blew my mind and made me actually think about the story. It might not have had the best chracter development but in terms of the story and action i loved it. The characters all had their place and raised very thought provoking questions. I also liked the movie for those who did not. This is the anime that i remember the most and comes to my mind first when i think of anime. If it wasnt for Shingi annoying me with his crap attitude throughout most of the series it would absolutly be number one.

2. Now i do not know if this is classified as anime but Transformers the movie is my numebr 2 spot. The movie which bases the autobots vs the decepticons. This is the absolut pinnocle of the transformers universe. If you disagree with me watch the original cartoons(G1) and see if you dont get annoyed from the corny jokes. This move had it all for me. Awesome story, great action, great big robots, a huge enemy as well as the controversal swear word(you know what im talking about for anyone who saw this back in the day). I still love the music, You've got the touch is a classic. I really dont have any cons about this movie and is a classic and in my honest opinion the greatest animated movie ever(most may disagree with me saying that others like mononoke is better but to me this had a much greater impact on me.) This is why it gets number 2

Now for number 1

Hajeme no Ippo. This is the only anime that actually got me to do something physical. I was in a workout slump at the time i started watching it, but when i started watching it it made me want to work out and go jogging. This is better than the rocky movies to me and one of the best anime titles around. I dont say the best since everyone's opinion is different but i must say that it has awesome character progression as well as a good supporting cast of characters. I liked the way they made the boxers realistic as in had real problems as well as a job they had to have in order to live. I actually put noir on hold to finish it and i have yet to regret my choice(even though i finished it a week ago.) I recomend this to almost anyone. This is why i give it the big 1.

Close calls.

Mononoke(this movie is great and has an unbelieveableness to it. The characters are awesome but i feel that i did not enjoy it as much as the others)

Cowboy bebop (i liked this but it did not have as much of an impact on me. Great story and great characters but it did not draw me in as much as the others as good as it was, which is why it did not make my favorite list)

School rumble (i loved this series and am always waiting for the latest episodes but i feel that it is not of the same caliber of the others(though far above Dragon ball z) This anime has characters that you are drawn to but man does that guy the main character likes annoy me.(or he must really like curry)

Love hina (i class this a tad below school rumble but it is a great anime none the less. Good characters and funny story arcs made it an enjoyable anime to watch)

Robotech (this is the same as dragon ball z. Not the greatest story but man was it good times when i was young. I loved fights as well as the transforming veritechs)

Now for the bottom 5
I haven't seen to many bad ones but out of them these are the worst. I am not saying they are bad(unless i mention so) but i have to make a bottom 5 per the original post.

5. Naruto I liked it in the begging all the way until the filler started occuring around episode 160. I can barely handle the latest episodes but for the earlier ones they had great fights as well as great characters. The moves are original and had interesting turing points throughout the series. If it wasnt for the later episodes it would not have made this list.

4. FLCL Now this show was so confusing to me. I laughed histeriaclly to most of the parts but it gave me a unfufilling feeling afterwards. It had really funny parts mixed in with aweomse cartoon like scenes but the main character really bothered me in some parts as well as the girl who nibbled on his ear. That was just weird. You whould watch it but i doubt it will be the best you have seen but you will proably like it unless your like me and got confused at most parts.

3. Sailor moon. Now i am basing this off the ytv version for all to know so it is based off a canadian version of it. The girls voices annoyed me. The whole sarina and the guy relationship annoyed me until i saw the reason behind it but it came to late for me. The only good this is sailor venus. I dont know why but i thought she was cool.

2. .hack/liminality I really enjoyed the .hack/sign anime so i decided to watch the oavs. They were good untill i stumbled upon this. The whole premise occurs completly out of the game and in the real world where the game is affecting the earth. I really did not like watching this and had to make myself finish this anime. Which is a rare thing so far. I did not like the girl or the whole premise about it( i cant really pinpoint an exact part) which gave me a general bad vibe about it. This is why it got number 2.

and my least fav anime

Dragon Ball gt

For as much as i loved DB and DBZ i only recently watched DBGT. Boy was i in for a shock. I was disgusted at most of the episodes as well as the general lack of effort they put in it(as it looked to me) I know this is on a number of other peoples list and i can see why. This is the only anime i have actually come to hate due to the butchery of it all. I only finished it to see the very conclusion to the db sagas which i promised my self i would do. I actaually skipped a few episodes since they were so boring in the begging and had no real effect on the story. I consider myself to be a dragon ball fan but i just could not stand to see that they did. I actually regret seeing it now becuase in my imagination the series was so much better but now that i have seen it, it has left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak.

This is my list and hopefully it is ok. My first post is a good one i hope Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 122