• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV on ZVUE

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area88

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Ambitious but it will fail.

People who download anime only care about one thing and thats geting it for FREE.
therax

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Ambitious but it will fail.

People who download anime only care about one thing and thats geting it for FREE.

I wont doubt your exhaustive research on that Rolling Eyes

My only concern is the lousy image quality of the ZVUE player 120x160 , if I have read the specs right. Also will the files be locked only to the ZVUE player? (My PDA Has better specs )
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
therax wrote:
My only concern is the lousy image quality of the ZVUE player 120x160 , if I have read the specs right. Also will the files be locked only to the ZVUE player? (My PDA Has better specs )

If all of that is true then it will fail. People who buy anime are particulary interested in the cleanest clearest picture they can have. Even if the files aren't locked to the ZVUE player, if that is the best resolution you can get out of your purchase well then thats just crap. And remember low resolution equals quicker downloads and less bandwith required, so it probably is that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
After the loss of content on 2 external hard drives because they were FAT32, I can say that storing something I bought on a hard drive would be the last thing that I would do. I am firmly rooted in DVD territory. Very Happy
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
This would be great news if they replaced "zvue" with "ipod video".

Meh...I dunno. After the novelty of "hehehehe I'm watching Monster (I know it won't happen but this is wishful thinking) on my ipod and I can watch it anywhere" has worn off, I don't know how often I'd be downloading 4$ or more episodes to watch with teeny tiny subtitles.
After the initial novelty I might be happier just keeping the ipod for music and weird youtube videos rather than watching series.
rdizzle

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting feedback.

Would 320x240 resolution be different?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Total screen area would be 4 times larger. You can fit four 160x120 video blocks into one 320x240 screen, which makes the file size much larger.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
dizzywulf wrote:
This would be great news if they replaced "zvue" with "ipod video".

That's the first thing that went through my head! Why would ADV sign up with some obscure download service no one's heard of when they could be on iTunes? Say what you want about iTunes, it's on millions of PCs and Macs and there's a ready installed base of players ready to play your videos. Networks are stampeding to put more and more content on the service.

Come on, ADV, get with the program!

------RM
Evil_dave83

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Just been checking their free DLs and they are AVI, with no apparent restrictions to the USA, so it should be possible to convert them to an iPod friendly format, assuming the DRM package isn't grotesque (they apparently use Windows Media DRM, which I think allows file formats to be manipuated). So, not all bad, if a bit faffy.

Given the strength with which they push the Handheld device on the ZVue site I was worried that it was going to be substantially more proprietary. As it is, this is a laudable idea, although I think the low image resolution and strong ties to a proprietary hardware player will deter many people. That said, if I don't have to buy a ZVue handheld thingy I'll be strongly considering it. Will ANN be reviewing the service when it goes live? (I imagine there will be some forum noise anyway)
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
so do you have to pay some kind of fee to download stuff once you have the player?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1