• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media summer 2013 anime survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
I also suggested Skip Beat. I really want a physical copy of that show. Judging by the reprint of the manga, it is one of Viz's best sellers.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Though I highly doubt it since the Hikago DVDs did so poorly that they didn't even finish them.

You don't suppose releasing a 74-episode series on four-episode DVDs at around $20-25 each had anything to do with that, do you? Seriously, who did VIZ think would buy that? I like Hikaru no Go quite a bit, but I would never have bought the DVDs even if they were complete. Even today, some eight years after it was released, the DVDs still cost $20 at Amazon.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
WHERE DAH DRAGONBALL WATCHES?

j/k

WHERE IS MY BEN-TO?

serious.

I will take the survey now.

Hey, that was one of my suggestions as part of a couple of comedy titles as Viz's comedy offerings are, wait...

Do they have any? Did they ever? It would explain why I have almost zero Viz titles and Saikano is the Viz title I remember the most {The series that easily wins the "most seperated from comic relief" award}.

I recommended Ben-to, Nyarko-san and Seitokai Yuikuindomo {I'm listing this show at any opportunity I can. It's got 5 ongoing OVAs, somebody has to like it somewhere}

Bakuman? Why would anyone want to give the American audience another chance not to buy it?

For the record, I'd suggest either releasing titles in BD or in combo packs. Seperate DVDs releases are getting problematic.

Media Blasters didn't really promote the thing. I think Viz could at least get some of the manga readers on board.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I suggested the new Hunter x Hunter series.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I recommended that they license JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter X Hunter 2011, as well as (surprise, surprise) putting out the rest of Monster on DVD. My only hope is that if they do indeed license HxH, that they NOT try to get the old dub cast back, as that dub was well and truly HORRID. Mad

It's good to see Viz finally attempting to move forward with their anime line. This might be a shot in the dark, but I honestly think a lot of this has to do with Charlene Ingram's involvement. She was one of the best managers FUNimation ever had, and if she can make the same magic happen for Viz like she did for them, then I see nothing but good things for them in the future. Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I took the opportunity to second Ben-to and suggest Sasameki Koto. If the support in this thread is any indication, the former just might actually happen.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually did the survey again because I forgot to suggest Jo Jo and campaign for Monster
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Commentary on the VIZ survey

How many anime DVD or Blu-ray releases do you purchase in a year?
10+
You know, whenever you answer a survey question with <number>+, you have a problem.

3. What is the first thing to draw you to an anime series?
Character art
I'm completely shallow, I'll admit it.

6. Which of these is your favorite North American anime distributor?
Well this is a loaded question.
Funimation Entertainment -- I have a long running on again/off again personal vendetta against Funimation, dating back to when Slayers R first aired. Right now it's off, but Funimation, I swear, you cross me one more time and I'll boycott you until I see something that I want to buy again.
Aniplex of America -- While I like Aniplex in general, blowing my whole monthly budget on a single title isn't a favorite.
VIZ Media -- Wait, you guise release anime? I thought you were to busy setting static TV airtimes for your streaming anime channel
Nozomi / Lucky Penny -- Opposite of Aniplex, nice but too cheap
NIS America -- I like them, but they haven't released anything good in awhile. In the last few months, all it has been is one of the worst anime I've seen and a three year old show I've never heard of.
Anime Midstream -- Who? No seriously, who are they?
Media Blasters -- I'm pretty sure they're dead. Or stumbling around like an extra in a bad zombie movie.
Discotek -- Discotek is awesome, when I want to buy a series that is twice as old as I am. But they did license the Lovely Complex anime, something the manga licensor never bothered to do. Cough, cough
Sentai Filmworks/ Maiden Japan/ Section 23 -- Ask me again when I'm over the Penguindrum fiasco.

15. Where do you watch streaming anime?
Okay, I'm going to be honest. I don't watch 'streaming' per se, because I'm often watching stuff in places with no internet access. So I pirate ripped Crunchyroll streams from the Site That Shall Not be Named, and if I like the show, I buy the DVDs later. Yeah, I'm a bad person.

19. When I watch anime, I watch the English language dub
20. When I watch anime, I watch the Japanese language with English subtitles version

Shouldn't these two questions be mutually exclusive? I mean, if you're not watching it dubbed, then you're watching it subbed, right? Or are people watching this is some other language? Is VIZ dubbing this is French to capture the untapped Quebecois market? Are you telling me I could watch Bleach in Swahili? Because I totally would.

License recommendations:
Earl and Fairy: Come on, you already released the manga
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: Since Media Blasters is dead now, somebody needs to pick this up
Natsu no Arashi: I can't be the only one that liked this. Wait, am I?
Majin Tentei Nougami Neuro: Dudes, you're licensing this in Europe, bring it here too
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
How many anime DVD or Blu-ray releases do you purchase in a year?
10+
You know, whenever you answer a survey question with <number>+, you have a problem.

The really sad thing for me is that I was almost able to hit that quota in the past week. I'm starting to think I have a genuine obsessive-compulsive issue about buying stuff that's going out-of-print. Razz

Interesting to see this thing from Viz of all places, though. I put in my own plug for Dennou Coil, and then the expected pleading for Monster in the optional comments at the end, but I wish I'd remembered Cross Game too.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I suggested Kuroko's Basketball and Skip Beat. Cool
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Told em to license LoGH. Not like VIZ would ever do it, though, even given the chance.

Of course they would. They'd just release one DVD though and then leave the other 95% of the series trapped in licensing hell. Laughing
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice little survey. For the last question, I HAD to mention them not finishing Monster on dvd. Sad
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Nice little survey. For the last question, I HAD to mention them not finishing Monster on dvd. Sad

Good! They should just drop the license. I believe the physical and digital licenses are separate, right? They can stream it all they want. Let someone else release it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
Looks like viz is taking this pretty seriously. Apparently they choosing a series from this survey. I just didn't think they would be taking it into consideration so soon.

Quote:
The preliminary results of the Spring Animation Survey are in and they are cray-balls. Like, razor thin closeness on total opposite ends of the spectrum.Your answers could tip the scale!
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Updated the thread title...

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialVIZMedia/posts/10151727145478552
Quote:
Super quick SURVEY TIME! Would you please help us out by answering a couple quick questions and telling all your anime-loving friends? Pretty please with sugar on top?

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1285303/Gift-With-Purchase-Items-Summer-2013
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3