• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Have It Moe Way

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ENJN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
This article wins for the headline alone.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:36 am Reply with quote
You're welcome.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
Just what exactly is an Akiba faithful? Is it a shortening of Akihabara or is it something else?
konosuke15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
I want a maid bar around here. But all the rednick kids will just sexually harass the maids ;.;
ENJN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Just what exactly is an Akiba faithful? Is it a shortening of Akihabara or is it something else?

Akiba is the "trendy" way of saying Akihabara, yeah.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
I would like to mention that "Moe Burger" is a pun on "Mos Burger", a well known restaurant chain in Japan (whose prices, according to Wikipedia, are apparantly higher than McDonald's).
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
I would like to mention that "Moe Burger" is a pun on "Mos Burger", a well known restaurant chain in Japan (whose prices, according to Wikipedia, are apparantly higher than McDonald's).

When my cousin in Japan first mentioned "Mos Burger" (note: the way he said it sounds like "Moth Burger") I couldn't stop laughing. Set up a resturant in America named Mos Burger and it'll to go out of business in a week.
I never understood the whole maid fetish and doubt I ever will. Still, I'm curious as to what the cafes are like. Anyone know how recent this whole maid phenomenon is?
ENJN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

Only slightly higher. It's still just a fast food place. They have onion rings though. (I wish the country had Burger King, I don't understand why its absent.)

Either way, nice call on catching the pun.

There's so much crap in Akihabara called Moe now; when I was at a bookstore last week they had an entire shelf of "Akihabara Culture" products from hardcover books on maid cafes to the "Moe Guide to Tokyo" (which I bought for legitimate research purposes. Yes.)

TheHTRO wrote:
I never understood the whole maid fetish and doubt I ever will. Still, I'm curious as to what the cafes are like. Anyone know how recent this whole maid phenomenon is?

Couple years old I think. But the Maid Cafes are only the tip of the iceberg; staring around 2pm until around 8, in the square outside Akihabara station called "Electric Town," there are many girls in maid outfits passing out flyers for Maid everything, including Maid "Body relaxation and massage" parlors.

I think the most classic was I passed by one store in a back alley called "Maid-san no Megane Senmonten" which translates to "Specialty store for Maid glasses." The entire shop was just glasses for use with maid costumes, and the clerk had on a bright green maid outfit.
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

Prices in Japanese fast food are tied to the Awesomeness Index. This is why Mosburger's 1000 yen burger is 1000 yen... and so awesome.
wildarmsheero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
I'd never eat a moe burger. Too many guro-ish implications...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
So what is in a "moe burger"?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
What the hell Japan? Just.. what.. the.. hell?

Not that this Moe or Maid Cafe trend is new to me, it's just.. wow. It's a lame fetish and fandom that is becoming a bit too popular. Submissive girls serving you food. It's as lame as Hooters in the US. "Hi. Welcome to Raisins"
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Boy, I'm startin to see this moe thing really get big these days. Yeah, depending on what's on a moe burger I might eat it. One of my classmates name's was Megumi, but the kanji for her name was the same as moe Shocked
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
One of my classmates name's was Megumi, but the kanji for her name was the same as moe Shocked

How so? Could you type out those characters? In most cases,

Moe =

Megumi =

Last edited by dormcat on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Well you can see who they are marketing this for by all the naked dolls that are advertised on the side.

I sort of get the maid cafe thing with the type of food you get there, but this is just a greese joint right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3