• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: I.G's Gargantia Blu-rays to Include Original Video Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
I am very much looking forward to this upcoming series and OVA as well. Just going to hope that Urobuchi here makes his writing and premise work well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
According to Mania:

"3 BD-Boxes at 4 episodes + 1 OVA each. So that's 15 episodes in all (or just 12 episodes for the TV series) if nothing changes."

Kinda disappointed its only 12 episodes for the TV run... OVAs probably won't add much to the story.

Weird way to sell it though.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
I would love to see this at some point.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot you can do in 12 episodes, but taking it easy and exploring beautiful landscapes and new places isn't one of them, unless it's Aria.
DG_Nick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, each disc will have 4 episodes AND an OVA? How do they do it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
DG_Nick wrote:
Wow, each disc will have 4 episodes AND an OVA? How do they do it?

You mean in terms of not being forced to release 2 or 3 episodes at a time? Maybe they feel this will have a wide enough appeal to not need the sell it in the traditional format, or opposite route like Chihayafuru is doing, where it's being sold in budget boxes so it can move any BDs at all. Getting 5 episodes onto a BD50 shouldn't be too much trouble, our releases do that and more.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I know it happens sometimes, but generally speaking April shows don't usually end up with just 12 episodes so I wonder if they are just announcing the contents the first 3 boxes for now since they know what they will be able to include in those and if they aren't sure if there will be another 3 OVAs for a theoretical second 3 boxes?

Or maybe it really will be only 12+3 eps. From the practically movie-level production values on display in those trailers I guess it wouldn't really entirely surprise me I suppose if it's only 12, but it would be ashame with how "large scale" the show looks if they don't have 24+ to really flesh it out and also dig into the setting.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Hmm... I know it happens sometimes, but generally speaking April shows don't usually end up with just 12 episodes so I wonder if they are just announcing the contents the first 3 boxes for now since they know what they will be able to include in those and if they aren't sure if there will be another 3 OVAs for a theoretical second 3 boxes?

Or maybe it really will be only 12+3 eps. From the practically movie-level production values on display in those trailers I guess it wouldn't really entirely surprise me I suppose if it's only 12, but it would be ashame with how "large scale" the show looks if they don't have 24+ to really flesh it out.

What does that mean? Out of like 30-35 shows airing in a Spring season, maybe only 6-7 of them are generally 2 cour. Only ones that have been confirmed as 2 cour for this Spring are Railgun 2, Majestic Prince, Mushibugyou and some kids shows that will likely not be subbed. Even Valvrave is only 13, and Attack on Titans BD Solicitation hints at 12 episodes.

http://fansubdb.com/wiki/Spring_2013

Summer is looking to be a pretty heavy duty season this year, with already over 20 anime announced, along with a lot of big name series like Sailor Moon, Monogatari, Rozen Maiden, High School DxD and Fate/Kaleid, so they're just making some of the Spring series shorter so they still have the timeslots available for the Summer anime.

Its already been confirmed its only 12 episodes and 3 OVAs though, so that debate is moot.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Or maybe it really will be only 12+3 eps. From the practically movie-level production values on display in those trailers I guess it wouldn't really entirely surprise me I suppose if it's only 12, but it would be ashame with how "large scale" the show looks if they don't have 24+ to really flesh it out.

What does that mean? Out of like 30-35 shows airing in a Spring season, maybe only 6-7 of them are generally 2 cour. Only ones that have been confirmed as 2 cour for this Spring are Railgun 2, Majestic Prince, Mushibugyou and some kids shows that will likely not be subbed. Even Valvrave is only 13, and Attack on Titans BD Solicitation hints at 12 episodes.

http://fansubdb.com/wiki/Spring_2013

Summer is looking to be a pretty heavy duty season this year, with already over 20 anime announced, along with a lot of big name series like Sailor Moon, Monogatari, Rozen Maiden, High School DxD and Fate/Kaleid, so they're just making some of the Spring series shorter so they still have the timeslots available for the Summer anime.

Its already been confirmed its only 12 episodes and 3 OVAs though, so that debate is moot.

Really? It's been a while since I looked but I thought the ratio on Fall and Spring shows has been much closer between 1-cour and 2-cour shows than that most years, but I guess perhaps that's true. Good point about the especially large summer season though.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the action shows or non moe/harem stuff has a higher chance of being 2 cour in Spring.. you're probably just ignoring a lot of that stuff, since very rarely are those types of shows ever more than 12-13 episodes at any time of the year.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
A lot of the action shows or non moe/harem stuff has a higher chance of being 2 cour in Spring.. you're probably just ignoring a lot of that stuff, since very rarely are those types of shows ever more than 12-13 episodes at any time of the year.

Agreed.

And that's basically why I was thinking that of Gargantia since it is seemingly one of those action and non-moe/harem shows based on it's trailers and staff including it's writer (well presumably on that second part since there are plenty of cute and attractive female characters in it heh). You could be right though especially if you're going off of more than just this ANN article.

The main reason I said that was that ANN's article specifically specified that"A Bandai Visual representative told ANN that three Blu-ray boxes are what the company have announced right now" which sounded like something to me.

That to me sounded like perhaps it had not been confirmed by them that the show is only 12 episodes over 3 box sets (with those extra eps), but that maybe that's just all they were ready to talk about at the moment since they knew exactly what they were going to include in each one.

But as I also said, I guess it's likely you're right, since we've seen a lot of complete volume counts up front these days each with release dates even many months in advance (at least I've noticed them on CDJapan when I'm buying and preordering stuff).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1