• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Flash: Advent Children is Popular

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantom14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, 3k more than Japan. Some might think that there is something wrong with that picture. But, I think that is much better than the last FF movie that came out. (I thought it was good)
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 1.3 million sold in the U.S. already! Maybe a lot of people don't respect the movie as much as I do, but I'm glad the movie didn't plummet into the negatives (The movie's music alone was worth my $25).
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I'm so proud of S-E! Congrats to them! Anime smile
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The fanboys are out in droves, pouring their money into a flashy (though, admittedly, entertaining) action movie with a terrible plot. This really surprises people?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Given all the elements in the equation I highly doubt its success was ever in question. Square couldn't have released it at a better time, some say they waited much to long, but from a marketing standpoint they waited just long enough.

I found the movie to be an exhibition of over the top action and graphics and did not find it had any value beyond that, but I still picked up a copy simply because while I don't find it spectacular it is still worth a viewing now and then for some mindless action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
The fanboys are out in droves, pouring their money into a flashy (though, admittedly, entertaining) action movie with a terrible plot. This really surprises people?
Fanboys do not power sales. While some might think they're high in numbers, they never take a huge section of the market. Maybe Panzer Dragoon (the games) would make money once in a while if the market was like this (too bad these awesome games never sold anything due to its poorly conceived name).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
I am going to have say wow! I knew Advent Children was the #1 DVD but this is amazing. I think part of reason that this was successful is because of the buzz. Anime fans were excited to finally get to see this unbelievable anime, it one of the best looking shows. Videogame fans were pump up to see what happened to the characters after the events that concluded the game.
Overall this is great news, I know Square was in the red for some time after FF the spirit within. But I am so happy that they were able to do so well off the sale of DVD. Way to go US by the way, with a fansub version being out almost 6 months ahead of the US release, we showed that we cared for the product and bought it!
Keonyn wrote:
I found the movie to be an exhibition of over the top action and graphics and did not find it had any value beyond that, but I still picked up a copy simply because while I don't find it spectacular it is still worth a viewing now and then for some mindless action.

Yea it is not the best story, but it is beautiful, as casual people can recogize that. I mean when fans think of anime or Japanimation, I don't think that they are thinking about something like FFVII:AC. I think that had quite a draw on casual people. But also what is nice about it like you mention, is that it not a brain thinking, and if you want to just sit and have fun this movie can do that.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
Phantom14 wrote:
Holy crap, 3k more than Japan. Some might think that there is something wrong with that picture. But, I think that is much better than the last FF movie that came out. (I thought it was good)

I was really amazed by the numbers all-around. I was surprised we beat out Japan, since that's where FF first originated from! lol Cool. Cool

I was completely blown away by the beautiful graphics of the movie; sad to say this but I've never played an FF game. I originally wanted to see the film cuzz 1) I'd heard so much about it and FF in general intrigued me, and 2) cuzz it looked so freakin' amazing! The very pinicle of CG graphical advancement!

I'm so glad I did, cuzz now I wanna buy a PS2 (saving for one now) rent/buy the games, and learn as much as I can about Final Fantasy! (I already love the characters from the movie, 'soecially Cloud, Tifa, and Vincent). Very Happy

-Phoenix
OneLeggedMonk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
[Do not double post. Use the Edit Button. --Nagi]
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
DELETED. So dumb.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
CaliSerenity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote
I think the plot isn't that great, either, but doesn't mean that I don't love it. Anime smile

It's kinda like with the way I play the Final Fantasy games - I play it for the pretty pictures! Very Happy I'm fangirly enough to squeal everytime a cut-scene comes on while I'm playing, and to be able to watch a gorgeous cut-scene over an hour and a half long is just too awesome for me. Anime smile I guess I just like staring at S-E animation, and that's why I love this movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Eh... This has been bothering me for a while...

No one can possibly bring up Advent Children without a whole bunch o' people speaking ill of its plot. So, this is the question I have...

Why the heck is it so highly rated on a website where it is constantly bashed? That doesn't make any sense. Are the people who don't like it (or think it is merely average) just NOT VOTING or something?

(Little break here... We need the votes at animenewsnetwork. The more votes we have, the more accurate the ratings are, so VOTE.)

Or, is it that the people who are voting this anime so high never ever post in the boards? Hmm...

I haven't seen Advent Children yet (though my brother and I will be watching the DVD soon), so I can't give my opinion. However, I'm still curious as to why such a criticized anime is rated so highly...

People around here don't necessarily rate things "good" in terms of its intrinsic value, that's how it can happen. Drives me nuts, too, but not much you can do about it. If someoine asks them what they thought of the movie, and they say "It was awesome," they may rate it as a masterpiece based on awesomeness. As we all know, however, something can be awesome without actually being on the level of, oh, *grabs over-used analogy* a Miyazaki film. Yet certain people insist on rating AC as good or better than Princess Mononoke. grrr
Prinnydood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
There are a couple of reasons why Advent Children would have a very high rating on this site, yet still attract criticism on the boards.

1) "It's Awesome! FF Rules!" is not a suitable post, so the many people that love the film, yet can't constructively defend their opinion won't be found on the ANN boards.

2) Advent Children was a very ambitious project, and one that was anxiously awaited by the fans for a long time. With expectations as high as they were, the film became subject to a more demanding scrutiny than the average feature. The film is visually stunning, but falls short in some other areas (character development, accessibility for non-players). The end result is impressive, but not perfect.

In short: High ratings because of the films obvious strengths, critiques since it has some clear weaknesses too.
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote
I highly respect the Final Fantasy movie projects and their innovations in digitl animation. While America makes little cute fish movies, Japan is innovating CGI and human rendering. Awful plot though.
Area88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Considering that most people already downloaded it a year ago i'm suprised sales are even that good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4