• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssandulak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
Black Lagoon for sure.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Just for the hell of it, I looked up Black Lagoon prices online, it's like $27 on Amazon (and $31 on Buy if I need to use paypal), it's cheaper there than at Best Buy with that coupon! So yeah, I don't think I'll get Black Lagoon at Best Buy, it's simply not the cheapest option.

So, Tiger and Bunny any good? I doubt I'd find that one online for only $15.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
well, that depends.
do you like Yaoi? do you find male characters that develop an emotional bond interesting?
take a minute and think about why it is called 'tiger and bunny'.
if you like shows like code geass or ouran host club you may like it.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

So, Tiger and Bunny any good? I doubt I'd find that one online for only $15.

potatochobit wrote:

if you like shows like code geass or ouran host club you may like it.

I like both of them, but I don't think either of those shows has much in common with Tiger and Bunny at all. They're very, very different.

T&B is a surprisingly competent take on western comic book superheroes whose crime fighting is sponsored by different companies for a reality TV show. There is a buddy cop dynamic at the center of it all, since Tiger is the experienced veteran hero who happens to be down on his luck while Barbany (or Bunny) is the young hotshot with a bit of an agenda. Over the course of the story they do develop a bond as partners despite initially distrusting each other, but the main subject matter is treated in a very straightforward manner most of the time. In addition, the action is quite good and the supporting cast gets a decent amount of development. In short, the overall approach is closer to western sensibilities than most anime.

I'd watch a couple of episodes first if you're unsure, but I definitely think it's a series with a lot of universal appeal.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
^Well back when it was airing, I did watch and enjoy the first couple eps (I'm just notoriously bad at watching ongoing things, so I stopped because of that). Of course, the first few eps were kinda like "the premise of super heroes with sponsors is awesome and we need to show this off a little", but it sounds like there's more to it than that that comes out probably after I stopped.

I've not watched Ouran, and didn't like Code Geass, but I am all for bromances. But based on the few eps I have seen of T&B, I didn't think it was at all like Code Geass either.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying they are the same anime genre, I am just saying they appeal to the same demographic.
for instance, there are no robots or super heroes in ouran host club.
anyway, you can watch them online so it doesnt hurt to give it a go.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Saw the first episode of Flowers of Evil and ended up on the wagon of people who loved it and see promise. Been thinkin of getting all the copies that vertical has released stateside so far
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
^You live in the US, right? And thus you must live in the vicinity of a library. See if they have them so you can rent it first, I test run stuff I'm unsure of from the library all the time.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
So I have $50 in Amazon GCs and Discover Points and I've spent about a month now trying to decide what to use it on. Let's just say I'm an indecisive overthinker in most things.

Anyways, it's all manga series I'm considering.
  • Kamisama Kiss - If I were being completely honest, this is the one I want to collect most now having recently finished the anime. The anime hit all the right spots in that guilty-pleasure part of my heart. Problem? Amazon is selling all of the volumes currently released at full price, and I could get way more with my money for other series.
  • Soul Eater - Uh, I haven't checked in a few weeks, but they had a really good deal several weeks ago with each volume at $6.60. I ended up collecting up to volume 5. Volume 11 has one of my favorite arcs, The Clown, so I'd really like to get there. And soon after that is my other favorite arc, Arachnia. Since the price is still low, this seems like the perfect time to catch up to the later volumes.
  • From Far Away - After hearing reviews about it several months ago, I've been interested in picking it up. This has less priority than the other two though, and some of its volumes are OOP.
  • Eden: It's An Endless World - This seems like a good opportunity to buffer the cost of certain volumes. I recently purchased the first two volumes during the Dark Horse RightStuf sale, so I'm holding off on buying more until I know for certain I like it.
  • Attack on Titan - Watching the first episode has me eager to buy the manga sooner. I'm already a fan of the manga, I just haven't yet gotten around to purchase it. I recently bought the first volume at B&N this weekend in honor of the first episode of the anime coming out, and now I want to catch up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
I'll comment on your Viz shojo

Kamisama Kiss is great fun, if you liked the anime, I'd definitely consider going for it. But yeah, the full price thing... I'm not as smitten with it as you are though, I don't pay full price for them.

From Far Away though is the one I really want to gush on. It's a bit like Basara-lite, which isn't to say it's not a fantastic fantasy epic in its own right, and it's a bit more fantasy and less war than Basara is. Also, the volumes are starting to be released digitally now, so for any OOP vols, you can always go that route. Either way, read it, I was so glad I bought it! Now that it's digital, it's been making the rounds on mangablogs and it's quite popular on there too.

Also, if I may suggest another idea, do you yet own A Drunken Dream or Heart of Thomas? They're both sexy gorgeous hardcover releases that total up to about $50 (so yeah, kinda expensive), but if you don't own them, well worth it :3 If you do already own them, awesome! If not, sorry if I only made things more difficult, lol

Also, some Eden volumes are OOP way worse than From Far Away volumes. Because Dark Horse likes to troll us and not reprint things.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
That's cool about the digital thing. However, I'd rather purchase the OOP hard copies of From Far Away for consistency. As long as each volume doesn't go much beyond $50, I'd probably buy 'em. $50 is about how much I spent each for volumes 19 and 20 of Basara, so that's set the standard. And hearing it described as Basara-lite only makes me more enthusiastic to pick it up.

Speaking of digital, I know that the first volume of PSME was released a while ago. Is that series still being released digitally? I already own the books, I'm just curious to know.

I own the Heart of Thomas (yes, it is a super sexy book), but I haven't yet purchased A Drunken Dream. My library has it so I checked it out from there, but I do eventually want to own it as well.

And Eden's situation makes me want to cry. The fact that Dark Horse loses money on Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (which I already own the first 10 volumes of) also makes me sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
PSME is definitely still getting released digitally, it looks like they're coming out just one or two weeks apart too!

From Far Away was honestly one of the best shojo I've read in a while, and while Kamisama Kiss is fun, FFM really felt like something special. I think 13 is the problem child for FFM, but it's nowhere near the problem child PSME's 13 or Basara's 19/20 is. Also, it's only Basara lite in that it's shorter, not necessarily in that it's less epic or good.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^You live in the US, right? And thus you must live in the vicinity of a library. See if they have them so you can rent it first, I test run stuff I'm unsure of from the library all the time.

Do libraries commonly have manga? Huh, I didn't know that. Might have to check that out
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
^Well mine does. You could always check their website, if they have Naruto and Bleach, they probably have a lot more manga than that Wink
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
has anyone read The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya

is the last chapter "Snowy Mountain Syndrome" worth reading?
I believe the rest of the book was already animated but is this small bit worth taking a look at?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 95 of 132