• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Because you're being disingenuous.

I know where you're coming from. You run an entire website that is basically nothing but "PERSECUTION COMPLEX: THE WEBSITE". I've read it. I couldn't have a discussion about my attitude toward moe fans with anyone who had more personal skin in the game than you. I'm not going to convince you that I'm not THE ENEMY or whatever it is you think I am any more than you're going to convince me that you haven't internalized your entertainment choices to the point where it seems to have addled your brain and become this bizarre political crusade.

It's like if I'm pro-choice and vocal about it and the leader of a political action committee that raises cash backing anti-abortion candidates came to me and said "Why are you so evil? Why do you want to murder the unborn? Hey wait where are you going I just want to have a serious discussion with you so we can understand eachother!!". Waste of my time.

But anime is serious business! We got to solve the real issues here!
It's a life of death situation.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Finally got time to sit down and watch some stuff from this week's premieres.

Attack on the Titan was pretty intense and cool. I like the color scheme, it gives off that old and dreadful feeling. The Titans are scary as shit and it wasn't as visually gore-y as I expected with some of the comments here -which was great. Very much looking forward to the next.

Gargantia gave me a chance to use my CR free-pass and boy was it worth it. If anything, it looks goddamn beautiful in HD. Say what you want about the average-boring space battle, it looked gorgeous. Though of course the second half was the best and I love the vibrant and warm color scheme and the overall liveliness of the Earth-Humans. Probably my top for this season so far

Mushibugyo is... OK I guess. It's whacky, silly, with lots of crazy hair and unnecessary girl-being-quasi-raped-by-insect. I hope the action and the battles pick up soon, I wasn't too impressed with either the monster or the fighting coreography on this first episode, but Jinbei's father's story was a very nice touch

And I delayed my encounter with Arata or SSO's new arc for the sake of checking out Aku no Hana. While I'm intrigued by the ambience, I don't think I'm really interested in anything that happened on-screen. Someone here said it previously and I think it's close to my sentiment, I'm not particularly enthralled by the art and I didn't particularly enjoy the 22 minutes I spent watching it, but they did succeed in giving me the creeps, especially with that ending. I really don't care about the rotoscoping, but I wish they did it better, the movements look awfully choppy. I'm unsure as to whether I'll keep an eye on this one, but for now I'm leaning towards a no.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I would say that when you run a website where the banner is MOE IS A BATTLEFIELD! and show various propaganda-esque pictures of armed moe girls, while featuring pages and pages of rants about people who are "persecuting" moe, I think it is going to be pretty difficult to have an honest and intellectual conversation.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to watching Hataraku Maou-Sama! with my friend today. I've found a keeper in this one. Hilarious, interesting, and it's just plain charming. Plus, I like the conlang used in it.

Finally...I cannot wait for the doujins of this series. Satan is just so damn hawt~

...I can't believe I just said that.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Because you're being disingenuous.

I know where you're coming from. You run an entire website that is basically nothing but "PERSECUTION COMPLEX: THE WEBSITE". I've read it. I couldn't have a discussion about my attitude toward moe fans with anyone who had more personal skin in the game than you. I'm not going to convince you that I'm not THE ENEMY or whatever it is you think I am any more than you're going to convince me that you haven't internalized your entertainment choices to the point where it seems to have addled your brain and become this bizarre political crusade.

It's like if I'm pro-choice and vocal about it and the leader of a political action committee that raises cash backing anti-abortion candidates came to me and said "Why are you so evil? Why do you want to murder the unborn? Hey wait where are you going I just want to have a serious discussion with you so we can understand eachother!!". Waste of my time.

I'm being straight-up with you. If you want to continue to not believe that, that's all you. I can tell you about Taskforce M.O.E. and why I started it if you want me to, but like I said, you seem hostile to the idea of even attempting to come to an understanding about topics like this.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
you seem hostile

Says the guy who uses military language to talk about moe.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm being straight-up with you. If you want to continue to not believe that, that's all you. I can tell you about Taskforce M.O.E. and why I started it if you want me to, but like I said, you seem hostile to the idea of even attempting to come to an understanding about topics like this.

He has nothing to discuss. Stop making it out like Zac is the bad guy here. You're making an issue out of nothing. It's almost as you have and agenda.

Why is it you care so much what he thinks. Just enjoy what you like and move on. This whole thing seems rather silly that you're so obsessed with this idea that Zac has to prove something to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm not saying he has to do anything or that he has anything to prove to me. I mean, I'm just the guy who runs Taskforce M.O.E.

What I'm saying is that having a discussion about this stuff stands to benefit the anime community as a whole, in helping us understand why certain things in anime appeal to certain people. Moe is a really contentious topic within the anime community, and I feel like a discussion about it could be a great benefit to how we understand the medium we all collectively love as anime fans.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote

What I'm saying is that having a discussion about this stuff stands to benefit the anime community as a whole, in helping us understand why certain things in anime appeal to certain people. Moe is a really contentious topic within the anime community, and I feel like a discussion about it could be a great benefit to how we understand the medium we all collectively love as anime fans.

OK. So here's where I invite you to come on the podcast and have the discussion. I'm serious.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
If you are indeed serious, I'd be glad to.
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Wow. That got resolved remarkably neatly and equitably in the span it took me to write this. Cool, cool.

Anyway...

I'm still coming off of those wonderful Anime Mirai shorts, so I haven't gotten to watching much from this season. The one show I have gotten to, however, is Shingeki no Kyoujin. Really, I don't have anything new or especially insightful to say about it. Everyone screams too much, the pacing is weird, the writers haven't learned that just because you're showing instead of telling doesn't make exposition automatically good, etc. I do want to continue though, just because the sense of mass and size of the giants is so incredible. It's not often something like that is communicated so well, and I'm still dissecting just how the director did it.

I think it has a lot to do with shot composition and editing such that men never take up a significant portion of the shot whenever a giant is part of the sequence: the comparison is always to large things like churches and stuff. Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Nemo of Mentis on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
It's on then. Email me [email protected] with your details and we'll set it up.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote

That would be a lot more useful than vague insinuations, as some others were tossing around earlier up the thread, that an indeterminate but plausibly large proportion of people who say they like a series that hey don't like because they like the atmosphere that is established are in fact lying about that and are rather saying that they like it to troll "moe fans" (whatever that may be).

Since I started watching anime at such an older age than most anime fans, and with a deeper exposure to a variety of media from around the world than most anime fans, I never assume that my reaction to something is going to be in any way typical of any anime fan.

Last edited by agila61 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuyushiki was pretty cute. Yui's got herself a nice little harem. But seriously, a data processing club?

Aiura was also cute, but ended before it even actually started, so its hard to say anything about it. Other than of course CRABS.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Usually I check out one anime series a season but this season I have watched one and have at least four more I want to check out. Maybe being away from the anime scene rekindled my love of it or maybe this is just a really good season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 76