• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In the market for a region free bluray player.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
After watching the UK and Australia get licenses for so many great titles that we still haven't gotten here in the US, I've decided that I'm quite honestly fed up with it. I want a region free bluray player so that I can import stuff like Fate/Zero, Bakemonogatari, and the Bebop blurays.

Does anyone know if a region free bluray player is legally available for sale? If so, where do I buy it, how much does one usually run, and does anyone have a suggestion about which one to get? Are there any other things I need to know before I get one?

If there's anyway I can legally purchase a show I want and keep AoA from seeing a single red cent, I'll take it.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
uh... Fate Zero and Bakemonogatari are both Region A...
you don't have to import them... you just need to decide whether or not the price is right for your budget...

I suspect it may take awhile longer but Bebop will probably get a Region A release as well?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but AoA's Fate/Zero set is a very expensive sub-only import. Whereas Madman recently announced that they're going to be releasing a bilingual release for a LOT less. Also, both the UK and AU releases of Bakemonogatari are significantly cheaper than AoA's release, and both come with the exact same features.

Basically, I just really don't want to pay Aniplex of America's prices. I absolutely hate that company and would rather not give them a dime.
If I can legally purchase the exact same show from a different distributor for a significantly lower price, I'd be a fool not to.

As for Bebop, I'm sure it will eventually get a bluray release over here, but I'm a huge Bebop fan and I'm sick of every country getting the blurays before we do. I want em NOW, darn it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally with you on aniplex's %^%$^#&(*&! US prices-I wasn't about to pay $120 for the 3 Magica Madoka standard blurays. I purchcased a multi region capable player (A B C bluray) (1,2,3,4,5,6 dvd)-an Orei BDP-M2 for about $130 which is way cheaper than a hardware modded name brand bluray player-you can do a google search for the us seller. It's a very nice player and it enabled me to get the UK Manga release of Magica Madoka on a nice 3 disc bluray set which was about $48 including s & h off amazon uk. Good Luck.

Last edited by zrdb on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
lem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
hate 'em yet you still support them. makes perfect sense.

At any rate a region free blu-ray player can be had for about a hundred bucks. It's always nice to have other choices.

*spelling, and oops, sorry, that link ^ is for a region free dvd player, the blu-ray feature handles Region A only, zrdb's Orei brand plays region A, B & C.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
hate 'em yet you still support them. makes perfect sense.

Uhhh.... No I don't.

Really, I'd only be supporting Aniplex of Japan as a production company and Madman as a distributor. I don't mind giving money to AoJ because they put out some really good shows, but their R1 division Aniplex of America can go suck a fat one. Confused

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations, guys!! That Orei looks to be just what I need. Very Happy

Tell me zrdb, have you had any problems or issues with it at all? It's gotten generally good reviews, but there are a handful of 1-stars that kinda make me hesitant.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Other than it's a little noiser than my other 4 bluray players (Samsung, Panasonic and 2 Sonys) it works fine, I actually opened it up to see how well constructed it was and I was surprised-it's quite well built, as good as any name brand player. I've had it for 3 months and zero problems so I'd tell you to get it and don't worry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1