• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haruki Murakami

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microq

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
Haibane and the End of the World
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

This is same ??? Question
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
Microq wrote:
Haibane and the End of the World
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

This is same ??? Question

They are not the same. Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is a novel by Haruki Murakami.

Haibane Renmei is an anime by Yoshitoshi ABe. The setting of Haibane Renmei appears to have been at least partly influenced by the novel, but the story in the book and the anime are almost completely different.
emptyli'lfirefly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:07 am Reply with quote
I recently read Wind Up Bird Chronicle and I was amazed not only at its subtlety as a text, but how familiar it felt. There seems to be a clear similarity between the atmosphere of many anime and the style of writing within the novel. I found the way the story never really seemed to move forward, nor in many ways draw to a real conclusion, had a similar effect. Strangely enough, I found that FLCL's tendency to introduce surprisingly sexual themes and refusal to explain what is happening to its audience had the same impact as Wind Up Bird's. I really did enjoy it... even some particularly ghastly bits... and actually felt some kinship with the novel because I could feel a connection to anime!

Did anyone else feel this?[/spoiler]
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Shikisai o Motanai Tazaki Tsukuru to, Kare no Junrei no Toshi (The colourless Tazaki Tsukuru and his year of the pilgrimage), the new novel by Murakami Haruki was released on April 12th in Japan.
A Sports Nippon article says that the protagonist of the novel is a tetsudō otaku, specifically ekitetsu, a railway buff who likes railway stations.

鐵ヲタ狂喜か?w

Last edited by hyojodoji on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
A Sports Nippon article says that the protagonist of the novel is a tetsudō otaku, specifically ekitetsu, a railway buff who likes railway stations.

鐵ヲタ狂喜か?w

A novelization of him?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly when I came to this forum, I thought there would be a few topics to Japanese (prose) novels but this is an anime/manga forum so this forum's main focus is Light Novels and Visual Novels. LOL.

I have yet to read Murakami's books but I do have two H. Murakami books in my ToBeRead pile - Norwegian Wood & 1Q84.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
A novelization of him?

Ha-ha. ^_^ In opposition to many people's thinking that railway buffs are weird uncool nerds, Yokomi Hirohiko has been doing the 'to make being a railfan an "up-market brand"' project. So he may be glad that the protagonist of a work by a famous novelist is a tetsudō otaku.

By the way, I think that you have also read 『名物! たびてつ友の会』 (《日本! 快樂鐵路之旅》).

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
By the way, I think that you have also read 『名物! たびてつ友の会』 (《日本! 快樂鐵路之旅》).

Its Encyclopedia entry was added by yours truly. Wink Plus this and this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Its Encyclopedia entry was added by yours truly. Wink Plus this and this.

Yeah, since they had the Taiwanese alternative titles, I thought that you had added them to the Encyclopaedia.
I enjoyed Alps Hiroba, too.
Will the 'Ekiben Hitoritabi (manga)' page in the Encyclopaedia have the 'Themes: railway' item?
Possibly also the 'Themes: ekiben' item? Wink Inoue Ichirō, too, drew Ekiben Tokkyū, which is a manga about ekiben.

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
A railfan bought and read Shikisai o Motanai Tazaki Tsukuru to, Kare no Junrei no Toshi.
Of course, he bought the book at a bookshop in the premises of a railway station.w

StarlightCrux

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
So far, I've read Norwegian Wood (The first of which I bought), which was fantastic and compelling, but I unfortunately found the ending (Or lack thereof) to be a bit underwhelming, and Kafka on the Shore, which was still fantastic, but a bit weird to say at the least (At least there was a clear ending this time around). I understand this can be chalked up to cultural references, like a few days ago, I found out about the Colonel Sanders curse in Osaka, but still, it does turn a few heads, especially when its pointed out on the blurb. I've picked up 1Q84 books 1 and 2 for an insanely cheap price (£1.50 at a charity shop, as well as a £3.00 polaroid camera), but I haven't bothered reading a lot of it yet, especially when I'm juggling a few more books in between.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
StarlightCrux--
Welcome to the fora!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2