• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
So which volumes of hunter x hunter are the most at risk then? I wanna take a quick run at them now that there have been some reprints i know 8 14 and 18 are recent reprints but what others should i look to grab first?

5 and 9 are also recent reprints. When I started collecting the series, around October of last year, I'd say the volumes that were more at risk at the time were those up to number 20 or so, since the volumes Amazon and Bookdepository sent me were still first printings from around 2006/2007. If they lasted this long I don't think they'll go out of print immediately, but the Madhouse anime is likely to increase its popularity, so you never know - that's probably the reason behind the reprint after so long, but now there's a better chance that if some other random volume goes oop soon you might not have to wait that long for a reprint.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote
Right well i'll just try to spam the pre-20 list then. Looking about a month or so ago there were a lot of volumes going dirt cheap it was just that there were about 5 or so OOP volumes and I just didn't have the mental fortitude to stress over another load of books like that but this re-print is a gmae changer.

and dammit i missed the nausicaa box again, id set a reminder for book depository to tell me when it was back and they did but i wasnt ready for it and then bam it was sold out again.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
More manga delistings at TRSI! Check for specific vols

*looooooong list*

Whew, I think that's everything! That means, that for now at least, everyone get a jump on Hikaru no Go if you haven't already! I'm surprised that an Inuyasha BIG had gone out, I thought that was a big seller for them since forever, and they're not even done releasing those in BIG.

Looks like I'll have to venture into Toronto once again for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 11 and Banana Fish 17!

I'll have to think about Kekkaishi too. I really enjoyed it, but do I like it enough for a purchase?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
currently in the dilemma of deciding on either trying to finish off 1 series at a time or trying to gain ground on multiple at risk series.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
^I have that dilemma often myself. I did recently finish off Barefoot Gen all of sudden. I think length would factor into it for sure, I needed 8 volumes of Barefoot Gen (most of which ended up being ex-library).

I do think it's easier to do one at a time, unless you plan to get just the most OOP on multiple, then focus on just one. Unless you're going for a few short series anyway. To me, it feels like getting a bunch all at once can be overwhelming when it's done, but feel like no progress is being made in the meantime. One series at a time, you can get larger chunks at a time, making more progress feel like it's being made. I'm for one at a time because that just fits better for me, and it feels more rewarding in some ways.

Which one to prioritize? That's the toughest part!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
think i may try and cap off a series im near done with and then hit up some of those hunter x hunter reprints. Im 2 volumes off the end of hellsing so that seems like a goot candidate for some focus.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Right well i spied hikaru no go mangas on ebay going cheap so i stuck in opening bids on em and i think because they were listed in the collectables section rather than the manga one they didn't get all the attention they would have so I've managed to win 13 volumes at just under £13 not including the p&p came in at jst over £22 total wich is still a fantastic deal for 13 volumes of a manga. will have a spare vol 23 now.

Looks like im off to a good start here
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Right well i spied hikaru no go mangas on ebay

Was this post scientifically designed to make me happy? I mention going for one series at a time, and the first thing you mention after is Hikago? AWESOME!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
well with the price that this was starting at it was possible to get it finished in 1 purchase and seeing as i was the only person interested in it (so it seems) i got all the other volumes i needed so BAM its done. at a fantastic price too, best deal I've got since i got all of twin spica for about £30

Then i went ahead and put in orders for volumes 5,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,16 and 18 of Hunter X Hunter to go with the volumes 6&7 i already have

With my recent purchases of berserk im only missing vol.26 out of the ones available so as far as manga is going at the moment im gaining ground.

The dream is to reach a point where im just picking up a bunch of new releases and not chasing after old volumes lol
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
The dream is to reach a point where im just picking up a bunch of new releases and not chasing after old volumes lol

Speaking from experience, that is both a wonderful and an accursed point to reach. Good news: less books to buy on your plate, no more worrying about series going OOP on you while you're collecting others. Bad news: bye-bye great bargains. :/ I was able to get a lot of used books for <$3, or entire series at great discounts. With new releases, I'm lucky to get 40% off. :/
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Well over here there's not really bargains to be had anyway, the vast majority of the things i get cheap are ex library stock from the states with the other stuff being second hand stuff off ebay from people who are either making space or are "too old" for manga.

Only deals I've ever seen here for new manga are if i go to somewhere like Liverpool and the shops have a buy 2 get one free deal on the manga which winds up making it comparable to the stuff i find online so if i ever get to a point where im just staying up to date rather than chasing backlog I doubt i'll be missing the elusive bargains much.

Anyway I've ordered 32 books this past week (thats my ps4 fund mostly gone lol) Gonna be needing to make more shelves at this rate lol.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Quote:

I've been doing that for over 15 years now. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

When I started, comic shops were the only place manga was available locally. Each month I go through Diamond Previews and order any new title that sounds like it might be interesting. I also order subsequent volumes from series I'm following. I pay in advance and get a discount for buying in bulk. Now every Wednesday I walk into the comic shop and they hand me everything that came out that week that I ordered. I also shop B&N to check out titles I didn't order. A disadvantage is that I often have to order volume 2 of a series before volume 1 comes out, so I'm at least two volumes in before I decide to continue the series. The first couple of years I did this, it was possible to order every manga title offered each month, I did this (with the exception of the Eros titles) until the boom hit and I had to be more selective.

When I first got started, there was already a lot of manga already issued, mostly in comic book form. I checked out every comic book shop I could find and eventually hit stores in five different states. I was able to get most of the series I was interested in. That was fun, much of collecting involves the finding of what you are interested in as well as the having. Once I got caught up I lost that thrill of the hunt. Of course now, most comic shops carry little or no manga and the other stores where it could be hunted are becomming less and less.

It was fun while it lasted.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Looks like blade of the immortal needs some of my focus, i was way late to the party with this one but have been snapping up random volumes where i see em going for good prices. Was putting in an order for vol 4 when i noticed vols 5&6 were not so easy to get so i ordered 5 and will get 6 asap.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
AISHITERUZE BABY VOL.2 WARNING

thats right if you are considering getting this series vol.2 is creeping up in price.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
AISHITERUZE BABY VOL.2 WARNING

thats right if you are considering getting this series vol.2 is creeping up in price.

Cheers. Will keep an eye out for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 76