• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation to Unveil New Anime Next Friday

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Not only that, but the idea that Penguindrum wasn't designed to appeal to the same demographic that penguintruth claims to disdain is truly hilarious.

It certainly can appeal to that demographic with some of its superficial aesthetics, but it isn't dependent on it, nor do I imagine it was designed to be some soulless, meandering, cutesy slice-of-life.

Is your goal to conclusively prove that you don't understand the anime industry at all?

Because thats what your posts are indicating.

In all seriousness, what is your major malfunction? Why is it not enough that you can't just not like some anime, you have to ACTIVELY INSULT anyone who dares like it, to the extent where you project your own insecurities onto these imaginary people? I have never seen someone talk about semen on figures as much as you do. Ever. And I was there for the discussion which got images of such banned from Danbooru!
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Penguintruth wrote:
It certainly can appeal to that demographic with some of its superficial aesthetics, but it isn't dependent on it, nor do I imagine it was designed to be some soulless, meandering, cutesy slice-of-life.

Penguindrum is indeed a show that doesn't depend on otakus; rather, its audience is comprised of the intellectuals especially at college age. I've heard that college students throughout the world are studying it as a text alongside great classics like Bible Black and Warau Kangofu The Animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
The fact that peguintruth didn't find Penguindrum meandering makes me wonder if he actually watched it.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people like write shit about this studio, the haters don't get how good Kyoani really is and it's sad. They are the best anime studio right now.

They are good at character animation, complex storyboards, complex layouts, editing and directing, Kyoani should make an action series just to show the haters how is done. Sometimes I disagree with the kind of shows they like to make, but they are so well executed and polished.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:
A lot of people like write shit about this studio, the haters don't get how good Kyoani really is and it's sad. They are the best anime studio right now.

They are good at character animation, complex storyboards, complex layouts, editing and directing, Kyoani should make an action series just to show the haters how is done. Sometimes I disagree with the kind of shows they like to make, but they are so well executed and polished.

Hell they did just that in Chu2Koi
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Kyoukai no Kanata will have more action than their usual show. Unfortunately their action-oriented shows like FMP:TSR and Munto have been KyoAni's worst-selling shows.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:

I wish they would. There's no doubt that they can produce some nice animation. I just can't sand the subject material and character designs of the shows they make.

I would watch FMP, but the 1st series(yes I know it's not by them) left a pretty sour taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
In all seriousness, what is your major malfunction? Why is it not enough that you can't just not like some anime, you have to ACTIVELY INSULT anyone who dares like it, to the extent where you project your own insecurities onto these imaginary people? I have never seen someone talk about semen on figures as much as you do. Ever. And I was there for the discussion which got images of such banned from Danbooru!

I just prefer the anime I watch to not use cookie-cutter cuteness and "pureness" fetishism as a crutch to compensate for their utter lack of substantive intellectual or emotional value. I find that a lot of KyoAni shows are either simple-minded "quirky high school friends" stories or laughable melodramas, or in some cases, both. It irritates me that a studio that does such beautiful animation would waste it on characters doing the mundane, when animation is a medium that can do so much more and shouldn't be wasted on cute girls doing cute things.

I'll even take the mindless, mean-spirited ultra-violence of 80s and 90s schlockfests, because at least they were in earnest about their utter madness and didn't dangle the low-hanging fruit of "aww, look how precious that little girl with the stupid speech defect is, don't you just want to give her a big hug and tell her everything's going to be all right?" At least some of those dumb Blade Runner/Running Man rip-offs from the 80s and 90s put forth some kind of vague thought process or philosophy instead of a lot of feel-good nonsense about how awesome it is to have friends in high school, something that commented on the human condition rather than some fluffy coming-of-age truisms coming out of doe-eyed schoolgirls twirling under the beautifully animated falling snow.

Blood- wrote:
The fact that peguintruth didn't find Penguindrum meandering makes me wonder if he actually watched it.

How was it meandering?

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, in a perfect world, I get both: Kyoto Animation makes their thing and Kawajiri gets money to go out and make Ninja Scroll 2.

But the reality is that, maybe, the stuff can't actually coexist... I don't know.

But I stop being angry about it because I'm getting older and I have better things to do with my life.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How was it meandering?

It wasn't. The story never losses it's focus and each episode adds something to either the overall plot or characters.

Does the show like to talk a lot? Does it get a little heavy? Yeah probably, but Penguindrum is never an aimless show. I mean pretty much everything in it has some point and whatever the show is filled with so much visual inventiveness that it makes even it's talky bits so cool to watch at least.

It's a fantastic show anyway you slice it.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Penguintruth wrote:
At least some of those dumb Blade Runner/Running Man rip-offs from the 80s and 90s put forth some kind of vague thought process or philosophy... something that commented on the human condition rather than some fluffy coming-of-age truisms coming out of doe-eyed schoolgirls twirling under the beautifully animated falling snow.

It is important that all art has some commentary on the human psychology and contemporary philosophy. For example, I view your post as a Dadaist work of art, a ticking human time bomb whose sole satirical purpose is to look for philosophies not in the philosophy section of the bookstore but cartoons for little girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I just prefer the anime I watch to not use cookie-cutter cuteness and "pureness" fetishism as a crutch to compensate for their utter lack of substantive or even solid intellectual or emotional value. I find that a lot of KyoAni shows are either simple-minded "quirky high school friends" stories or laughable melodramas, or in some cases, both. It irritates me that a studio that does such beautiful animation would waste it on characters doing the mundane, when animation is a medium that can do so much more and shouldn't be wasted on cute girls doing cute things.

Remember, only Penguintruth's opinion counts. Any studio that isn't makeing precisely what he wants is only making shit to pander to the creeps he spends his days imagining everyone who disagrees with him is.

Quote:
I'll even take the mindless, mean-spirited ultra-violence of 80s and 90s schlockfests, because at least they were in earnest about their utter madness and didn't dangle the low-hanging fruit of "aww, look how precious that little girl with the stupid speech defect is, don't you just want to give her a big hug and tell her everything's going to be all right?" At least some of those dumb Blade Runner/Running Man rip-offs from the 80s and 90s put forth some kind of vague thought process or philosophy instead of a lot of feel-good nonsense about how awesome it is to have friends in high school, something that commented on the human condition rather than some fluffy coming-of-age truisms coming out of doe-eyed schoolgirls twirling under the beautifully animated falling snow.

VIOLENCE GOOD

CUTE BAD

fudge you

Seriously, could you be more of judgmental, insulting asshole?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
VIOLENCE GOOD

CUTE BAD

fudge you

Seriously, could you be more of judgmental, insulting asshole?

And you're accusing me of oversimplifying.

Cute isn't bad, "cutesy" is bad. I would define "cutesy" as dwelling on cute aesthetics to the point of fetishism, and to the degradation of the effort.

Everyone with an opinion is judgemental. That's what an opinion is. My judgement is that cutesy bullcrap is a waste of good animation. It's just a safe self-delusion for the mawkish to use as a security blanket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Everyone with an opinion is judgemental

Open-minded people don't exist. Everyone hates each other's opinions. That's why communities don't exist either.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I just prefer the anime I watch to not use cookie-cutter cuteness and "pureness" fetishism as a crutch to compensate for their utter lack of substantive intellectual or emotional value. I find that a lot of KyoAni shows are either simple-minded "quirky high school friends" stories or laughable melodramas, or in some cases, both. It irritates me that a studio that does such beautiful animation would waste it on characters doing the mundane, when animation is a medium that can do so much more and shouldn't be wasted on cute girls doing cute things.

This post is heavily pathos over logos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 17