• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Stray Game Strut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Someone subtitled and edited the cut-scenes from that Bebop PS2 game in an 81-minute "movie": http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8EEBA46A28DC9750

It doesn't work perfectly in this format (and there's some silly video-game stuff), but there's a pretty decent episode of Bebop in there.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was bugging me forever. I knew there was an english Ranma 1/2 2, I remember seeing that ad about 18 years ago in EGM. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
consuming coffee and improbably good sandwiches to keep up his energy
Okay, but does he exclaim "damn fine cup of coffee" or "damn good coffee...and HOT!" at any point? Smile
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2's tagline could have been: "Are bad enough dude or girl to rescue the president?"

I really hope Deadly Premotion Director's Cut did not change its character models. One of the game's pleasures were the awkwardly modeled character designs that made certain comedy scenes even funnier.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Quote:
consuming coffee and improbably good sandwiches to keep up his energy
Okay, but does he exclaim "damn fine cup of coffee" or "damn good coffee...and HOT!" at any point? Smile

No, because there's F_K in the coffee.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget about GioGio's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Whirlwind, it was going to get a US release but due to the heavy music references in the game and the author's refusal to change the names of the characters and the stands. The game stayed in Japan.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why they didn't bother releasing Earthbound on the Wii VC before all this time. Now they decide to release it on the Wii U. Just stupid...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I don't understand why they didn't bother releasing Earthbound on the Wii VC before all this time. Now they decide to release it on the Wii U. Just stupid...

Lack of fanbase in America, and the biggest reason being tight American copyright laws.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/

Which makes me wonder if anything will be changed for the VC release, especially the music. Mother 2 staff loved putting in tons of music references.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Lack of fanbase in America, and the biggest reason being tight American copyright laws.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/

Which makes me wonder if anything will be changed for the VC release, especially the music. Mother 2 staff loved putting in tons of music references.

That had nothing to do with it.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/20/earthbound-virtual-console-port-wasnt-held-back-by-music-issues
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
My final takeaway from the cancelled anime games feature is that I really miss 90s game advertising. Also, I'm still waiting for a worthy Akira game.

Wait, Deadly Premonition used to be more like Twin Peaks?? It already looks similar to the point of being a near-ripoff. Also looks kind of like one of Goichi Suda's pre-Killer7 games. At any rate, it's one of those games I kind of want to play but am going to have a hard time fitting in between all the other titles I plan to buy or still have in my backlog...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

There's no explanation there either.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Last week's Nintendo Direct broadcast announced several new games, but none was welcomed as gladly as the news about an old one: Shigesato Itoi's beloved Super NES classic Earthbound will arrive on the Wii U's Virtual Console in North America and Europe “by the end of the year.” Many believed that Nintendo wouldn't release the game in the West due to legal problems with some sampled and similar-sounding music. That apparently poses no problem to Nintendo, though it remains to be seen if they'll alter the questionable tracks or just ignore the legalities entirely.

It has already been confirmed that the music will remain intact.

In an interview from Kotaku's Kirk Hamilton with Nintendo of America's director of product marketing Bill Trinen:
Quote:

Kirk: So it'll be the same soundtrack as the original game?"

Bill: "Yeah, I mean, they're taking the original game and putting it on Wii U."
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Soul Sacrifice's localization is a bit ... weird. For whatever reason SCEE decided to rename Merlin as "Magusar" and Nemue has become "Sortiara". I wonder if that change will be reflected in the Japanese audio, which is offered as a preorder bonus ...
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
So has Nintendo given a reason Earthbound isn't appearing on the Wii VC? Are they abandoning their best selling system already?
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And what about the news of a Gundam Wing game that Atari would bring to arcades back in 2001?

I do know that they did release in the U.S. a couple arcade style fighting games for the PS1 called Gundam Battle Assault 1 and 2. I had a lot of fun playing those two games, and if I still had my old PS1 or PS2 I would still be playing them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2